ACBF Standout Beers

Discussion in 'New England' started by Robtobfest, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

Anyone who attended session 1 have any standouts?

LukeBarr likes this.
  2. jbart

jbart Zealot (568) Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts

So many great beers! Lawsons, Treehouse, and Trillium all brought great stuff, but I opted not to wait in those lines. The Night Shift/NoDa was my fave of the night. Other standouts in alpha order: Aeronaut, Ballast Point Indra Kunindra, Cambridge Brewing Company Olmstead's Folly, Crazy Mountain Lava Lake Wit, Enlightenment (everything), Grimm Double Negative and With Love From Grimm, Hidden Cove Jali Apricot Jalapeno, High Horse (everything), Ithaca Cayuga Cruiser Berliner and CranBretty, Jack's Abby Cherry Berliner Braun, and Stone Reason Be Damned/Passion Project.

robNSB likes this.
  3. dental

dental Savant (1,178) Apr 2, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

i thought everyone brought their A-game. so many great beers, so little time. i didnt get to try everything i wanted to but everything i had was excellent. i thought harpoon's sour porter was really unique, and to think...i was initially going to skip that table haha. that night shift viva habanera is really awesome. rye beer + chiles=love. i was in line for NoDa at the end of the night but they closed shop right before i was at the table. not sure if they ran out or just wanted to get out of there. can't wait for next year's festival!

robNSB likes this.
  4. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

Maine Beer Co. Dinner stole the show for me. Other standouts for me was Newburgh's Hop Drop, Enlightenment Ales Song if Myself Pale Ale and DC Brau's Wings of Armageddon. Most unique/exteme beers, Habanero Sculpin and Daughter of Poseidon, a collaboration brew from DC Brau and Baxter Brewing which is a black ale brewed with oysters.

#4 SenorHops, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  5. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Pundit (995) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Agree with @SenorHops, I thought MBC's Dinner was the best of the bunch. Kicked less than a minute after I got it, probably about 2:10 p.m., but was glad they had it -- especially after thinking we were just getting in a long line for Lunch!

Yarrrggghhh! was the other star of the show for me. Just a fantastic beer, and a great collaboration with Lawson's and Tree House Brewing. Did remind me slightly of HT, but that's probably a lazy comparison (it was a long day). Had never had Julius either, and that one didn't disappoint. I'll have to make a trip to Monson too.

Was able to try Trillium's DDHFPPA and Mettle with friends earlier in the day, so didn't feel the need to stop by that table, but those beers are really great. A big fan of the hoppy beers from Wormtown, but was surprised how much I liked the Kola Nut Brown -- lots of nutmeg, would be a great "Christmas" beer. Wasn't going to stop at Rising Tide, but glad I did -- tried the Maine Island Trail Ale and was pleasantly surprised. Bineary from Banded Horn stood out for me too as a good DIPA.

SenorHops and soulkeeper1369 like this.
  6. Robtobfest

One that surprised me was Zero Gravity Conehead. Awesome ipa 100% Citra hopped.

BRYeleJR likes this.
  7. rjp217

rjp217 Pooh-Bah (2,737) Apr 24, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

From what I remember :wink: ........

- Newburgh Hop Drop
    - NODA Hop, Drop, Roll
    - Treehouse/Lawsons YAHHHRRRGGG
    - Lawons Peril, Spring Session
    - Lagunitas Waldo
    - Jacks Abby BA Cherry Berliner
    - Foundation Blaze
    - DC Brau OTWOA
    - Banded Horn Bineary, The Mountain

8. followerofmen

followerofmen Crusader (417) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts

The Night Shift/ NoDa Stop, Collaborate and Glisten was OUTRAGEOUS.

robNSB likes this.
  9. JrGtr

JrGtr Pooh-Bah (1,689) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

IMO everything from Hidden Cove was off the charts. IMO they were the best brewery of the Fest.

10. BigOldOaf

BigOldOaf Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2011 Massachusetts

High Horse The Business and the barrel aged version
    Night Shift Ever Weisse

konabrewer and robNSB like this.
  11. SenorHops

Agreed! I also thought Hop, Drop and Roll, Waldo and YAAAHHHRRRGGG were great beers. Sadly there were so many I wanted to try but didn't have a chance to. Talk about a smashed palate!

12. Robtobfest

Dark Horse was and always is awesome! All the beers were great and super cool people as well.

13. LukeBarr

LukeBarr Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2012 New York

Yes, sir. My standouts from the 35 I tried as far as I can remember (more or less in order of awesomeness) were:

-Cisco Cranberry Woods
    -Relic Kiwi Brett IPA
    -Bog Iron Brewing "Stung"
    -Relic Earl Grey and Lemon Saison
    -Enlightenment Song of Myself
    -Zero Gravity Organic Saison
    -Combination of Founders: All Day IPA + Rübæus
    -North Coast La Merle
    -Dogfish Head Birra Etrusca

14. richloma

richloma Crusader (430) Jul 2, 2013 California

High Horse Business & BA Business - good god were they a surprise! Treehouse double shot - holy hell I missed this at the brewery & it was IMO the best beer I had at ACBF. Great guys too - Dean was greeting people in line & it was just a good experience. Well done!
    New Holland was another standout for me. Looking forward to next year

konabrewer likes this.
  15. bccrosley

bccrosley Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2012 Connecticut

Double Dry Hopped Fort Point by Trillium knocked my fucking socks off...best beer of the night at session 3.
    Others (no particular order except maybe YAHRG being 1a to DDH FP's 1...)
    YAHRG
    Night Shift/NoDa collab sour (can't remember name)
    Big Elm Fat Boy
    Baxter/DC Brau Daughters of Poseidon
    NoDa Hop Drop n Roll

BigStein88 and VelvetExtract like this.
  16. MLaVioletteJr

MLaVioletteJr Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I got three Hop Drop n Roll, next level IPA.

17. asaharyev

asaharyev Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2008 Massachusetts

The stuff from Gneiss was surprisingly great. I have to agree with the Oyster IPA from Baxter/DC Brau, too. And the Habanero Sculpin.

beergrrl likes this.
  18. BradenMK

BradenMK Pundit (897) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

Oyster IPA, huh? Absolutely bonkers.

19. jbertsch

jbertsch Pooh-Bah (2,710) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My highlights were similar to other common mentions here, with the addition of Enlightenment’s Rite of Spring. Seriously great saison with brett. I’ll be looking for it in stores.

asaharyev likes this.
  20. SenorHops

I would have thought the oyster thing would have been awful, but it somehow worked. It was more of a subtle salt brine note than an oyster assault on the palate. Well done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.