Have you moved, or considered moving, based on a local beer scene?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ArsMoriendiOU818, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrucker

rrucker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2005 Ohio

Well, in a way, yes. Right now, I live in the boonies, about an hour north of Cincinnati. We've made up our minds to move when the time is right, and we want a city apartment (right now, we're in a 2500sq ft house on two acres, and I'm sick of it).

We really love Philadelphia, for a lot of reasons, but in the 10 years we've been around Cincy, we've really grown fond of it. A primary reason is the 20 area craft brewers, which is phenomenal for a city this size.

We were sitting at Findlay Market (outdoor market), in the beer garden, having a couple of Blank Slate beers. It was a really beautiful day, we were chomping on gyros, drinking good beer, and my wife said, "You know, I think I'd really miss it here if we move. Maybe we should just move down here instead of all the way over to Philly."

So now, I think, there's a better than half chance that we'll be moving/staying (however you want to interpret that) when the time comes, and a large part of it is the local beer. We frequent a few restaurants that showcase good beers, and the local taprooms.

2. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

Vermont struck a cord with me when I went there last year. The restaurants, the bars, the beer, the cheese. However, there are other factors about that state that would not make me commit to moving there.

3. peteinSD

peteinSD Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2010 California

i would not move to san diego just for the beer. there's good beer in so many places anymore.

i would move to san diego for everything else aside from the beer though. sooooo much better than most anywhere else.

4. loren01

loren01 Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2004 Washington

Yep for sure, #1 reason I moved to Portland. Pacific NW beer scene is amazing. That and the awesome hiking out here.

5. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Pundit (991) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

I'd never let beer factor into such an important, life altering decision for me. I really enjoy beer, but there are circumstances in life that I could incur that would make me give it up without batting an eye. And with distribution picking up more and more steam, it might not even be a factor you'd even think to consider at some point in the future.

6. Seabass1964

Seabass1964 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 Arkansas

Arkansas is pretty much a craftbeer wasteland. If it weren't for beer trades and traveling, I would still be drinking bud light. Can't really move as the job keeps me tied down. Can't say I haven't considered moving to a more beer friendly place tho!

7. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

I was gonna craft a response that was both witty and soul-piercing - probably a joke about cattle, gun ownership and chicken fried steak - But I think your doing a great job yourself.

#87 TheeWalrusHunter, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  8. ale1

ale1 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2009 Florida

difficult choice ,west coast small brewer or east coast.. then the Ommegang belgian styles in Pa. fantastic ! and Chimay Belgium ,Scotland ales ... or near Burton on Trent U.K. for some Thomas Hardy Ale if one USA brewer could cope with that quality no need to relocate but..... real barley malt ales no messin around some others Talon ,Great Divide? ,Stone they know but dont rip off the consumer at retail outlets please

9. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (1,135) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

I really want to move to the northern Rockies after I graduate and beer is the only real con to me. Any BAs from that area that can chime in?

10. Boca-X

Boca-X Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

Uh...no. I have and will again consider moving for fishing (I moved to FL for four years) but came back home because of family (daughters and grandsons).

I fished everyday in the salt for four years and it was the best fishing I have ever done and I drank most of those days also. The fish were bigger, meaner and stronger than the fish here in Missouri so it was a different challenge but I still was able to drink great beer everyday.

I will not move because of a "beer scene"...unless that was where I made my money. Otherwise I can get my fix any day of the week right here in the Heartland at a number of decent bottle shops...great beer scene? No, but there are way to many other factors involved in living somewhere...crime, jobs, taxes, cleanliness, schools, medical, parks & recreation that are much more important in my mind than beer...

Of course if the desired city had all of the above positives and also a great beer scene...bonus baby!..Cheers!

#90 Boca-X, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    memphischas and delyea like this.
  11. MrBoh

MrBoh Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Maryland

I've considered moving, one main reason being the lack of a beer scene or any real culture around here.

12. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

I did that 16 years ago. I was a beer visionary. Steve Jobs and Nikola Tesla didn't have shit on me.

13. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

Nothing soul-piercing about those items...except for the bullet from that gun your talking about maybe.

14. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

I live where I have a solid footing for me, and my family. It's where we are comfortable and happy.

My job makes the lifestyle we live, possible. Beer doesn't do anything but ice the cake in the evenings and weekends. Beer isn't worth moving for, unless you are doing it for a living, period.

15. IslandLiving

IslandLiving Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Portland, Or. I hear they have really good beers as well as, er, guess that's for another forum.

16. Zetcha7x

Zetcha7x Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Pennsylvania

No way! I moved to Philly 3 years ago and I'm never leaving. I don't want to open a can of worms here, but there are not too many better beers cities than Philly!

17. ChanChan

ChanChan Maven (1,341) Dec 12, 2009 California

First choice: San Diego, good weather, amazing beer, and you have Tijuana/Ensenada/Rosarito next door. Most people will disagree but that is a plus in my book!!
    Second choice: San Francisco, good people, & access to great craft beer. Only thing I do not like is the cold weather during the summer.

18. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

That's funny because I live in OH and I always think about how I wish we had better beer. Don't get me wrong...Fat Heads is incredible but I feel like that's about it for me personally. Not overly impressed with Great Lakes or Jackie O's (they do have some gems) or Brew Kettle.

I wish I could go pick up Russian River beers, BCBS & Variants, Firestone Walker, Cigar City, etc. I think...if anything the 12% ABV cap in OH is what's killing us. The best beer that comes around here is FFF and its usually a crap shoot. Good luck ever finding ZD.

19. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Pooh-Bah (2,815) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah

Viva la Michigan!

Or something like that.

20. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

It's all personal taste, but I will take Ohio over just about anywhere, and I have been all over. Don't know where you live, but you should check out JABF in Wooster. Also, three breweries are opening up in Cleveland in the next few weeks. I know new breweries usually are bad, but these all have good brewers and have a shot to be very good.

Josbor11 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.