1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Beer Trading and a BA's Amazing Generosity

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by chipawayboy, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Pooh-Bah (1,977) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm sure this topic has been addressed in the past -- but thought I'd share my experience. I've been actively trading since Nov or so. Quickly realized how expensive it is and how important it is to develop 2-3 good relationships w/folks that live near where the beers you want are brewed. After getting a bunch under my belt -- and dozens with two BAers in CA -- I am continually struck by how generous people are. Last week I got a case of Heady after an 8 hour odyssey to VT and decided to deal some for PSue. It took me 15 minutes to get a few offers and beer was in the mail within 24 hrs. Today I got my box -- twice the number of PSue bombers in the box than we agreed to. 4 additional beers over and above the PSue. -- all awesome. I'm realizing this is almost the rule -- especially for first time trades. And I've never ever had a bad trade experience. I think this says a lot about our hobby and The BA community in general. What trades have you received that blew you away?

mythaeus, JamesShoemaker and TheBrewo like this.
  2. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

Best beer community ever.

heystevec likes this.
  3. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Who were the great BAs? Throw them some love.

I don't trade anymore as it was just way too costly. However, when I was doing it, I do was impressed by the generosity. In fact, to some degree the amazing generosity is partly why I stopped. I felt awkward throwing in a can of Foolproof Robust Porter when someone else was throwing in a ton of unbelievably awesome stuff. I'd love to blow someone's mind with a box like that, but I never have the extra scratch, so I bailed. Maybe some day. Nevertheless, I too have found that many traders are extremely generous. I'd imagine they balance out the crappy experiences people have had with some traders who are trying to "win" at trading.

4. Walkerjgt

Walkerjgt Zealot (685) Aug 13, 2013 Ohio

I must have some bad luck. Two trades this week had no extras. 2 of 4 bottles popped in another and the sender ignored my message but continues to post (I even sent him a 12 pack instead of the 6 he asked for). 4th trade I have out shipped on Monday on my end, he hasn't shipped after promising days ago and has now gone silent.

Mitchell57 likes this.
  5. Yellolab2010

Yellolab2010 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania

Every guy/ gal I've come across on BA are top notch awesome people! I always try to send a very sweet box myself. My second trade I made I felt ashamed because the other guy sent so much more then expected! I then sent a second box against his wish so I could sleep! These are the people on this site. There are always exceptions I guess!

6. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Zealot (739) Sep 25, 2010 Vermont

This is pretty unacceptable, if it was because of bad packing I'd probably make a bad trader thread about it.

JasonR1975 and blue-dream like this.
  7. cfh64

cfh64 Pooh-Bah (1,996) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Trader

How many trades have you done?

8. Walkerjgt

About 15

9. cfh64

cfh64 Pooh-Bah (1,996) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Ah, the rest of them go ok?

10. Walkerjgt

Packing was questionable. I let it go because it didn't really care about the beer to much. Made the trade to hook him up because of his story. I sent him a message explaining what happened and not to worry about it. Woulda been satisfied with an apology.

11. Walkerjgt

They've been good for the most part. Just a frustrating week.

cfh64 likes this.
  12. kmello69

kmello69 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

1) Always discuss extras, to avoid this issue. I always ask if the person wants to send extras or not. Some people don't, and this saves me from being disappointed. Clear conversation is key

2) Broken/exploded bottles are the shippers responsibility to replace. If he continues to not respond, start a bad trader thread about him so others know he won't follow through on his deals.

3) Tough one. Could be a real reason for his silence, but he should let you know. Do you have a cell number? Is he ignoring texts too? Same goes here - give him a little time, but if he stays silent, start a thread asking if anyone knows him and knows what might be going on.

You'll be surprised how quickly some people respond once they're tagged in a thread....

blue-dream likes this.
  13. JavaNoire

JavaNoire Savant (1,151) Dec 4, 2010 Iowa
    Society

I'm sorry to hear that you quit trading. You sound as though you'd be an excellent trading partner. Generosity takes many forms. People have included some wonderful extras, which I appreciate, but the support, advice, encouragement & kindness shown to me has been invaluable. I've also gotten tips about future events & beer releases that are helpful & greatly appreciated.

Extras can lend trades some luster & excitement, but I'd think just as highly of the people I've traded with if they'd never included any extra beers. All of them have included those intangible extras which are (imo) the heart & soul of being a beer advocate. Your post sounds very much like you too are generous with those vitally important intangibles which (imo) should be (& usually are) the strength & focus of the community.

Providence likes this.
  14. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thank you for the kind words. Sounds like you'd be excellent person to trade with too! The true kindness and generosity I've experienced in the BA community is via the homebrew forum. It is there where I have received massive amounts of brewing advice and information. I'm a much better brewer today because of the help of folks here (especially @JackHorzempa ).

JackHorzempa likes this.
  15. wheelzntoys

wheelzntoys Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2013 California

Join a BIF, a little more controlled and you end up with a sub community of BAers.

You'll be taken care off if your sender flakes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.