Post a pic of your "Tasting" events

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by C2H5, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlumBeer

BlumBeer Initiate (0) May 17, 2012 Florida

The Funky Buddha Lounge in Boca (not the Oakland Park brewery) let our local group host a share event this past weekend. Here was the end result.

[​IMG]

They even treated a beer special for our share that day.

Sour'd The Duck - Starfruit Berlinerweiss w/ Coconut
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31805/126064/

[​IMG]

JDV and cultclassic89 like this.
  2. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona

Had a peach and apricot showdown today. Curious as to what others who have had these and others similar opinion is as to which they like better.

I think I would rank them like this Fou>Filmishmish>Fuzzy>Peche. Love the clean, potent apricot flavor of Fou with the faint lambic touch. They are all excellent beers and among my favorite beers ever. Different in their own way and if anything it's not fair putting Peche against 3 true sours. There are many others that belong here, let us know which ones and how they rank to you! Chez, Aurelian, etc!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. larryi86

larryi86 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,106) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Awesome tasting, have only had Fou and I have to say it is probably the best beer I have ever tried. Pechish Woods would have been great to throw into the next, not on the same level as Fou, but still a great sour.

MarcWP likes this.
  4. Magery

Magery Savant (1,083) Sep 29, 2004 Kentucky

funny timing that i see this thread. had a fuzzy tonight and it was thoroughly enjoyable. i've never had the other two but fou foune wins imo. to be fair, i would never turn down either. fou foune is one of my all time favorites.

that said, fuzzy is the first side project i've ever had. i have three other bottles that i received as a gift though and look forward to trying them

5. MarcWP

Fuzzy is really good, but I think I've enjoyed some of the other Side Projects just as much and maybe even one or two more so than Fuzzy. Enjoy those others! Cheers

Magery likes this.
  6. DelAvo

DelAvo Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 Texas

I think Chez Monus has to be in the conversation here. We opened Chez and Fuzzy together at DLD, and my preference was for Chez, but that wasn't the consensus and (of course) both are great beers.

7. Magery

Magery Savant (1,083) Sep 29, 2004 Kentucky

great to hear! i'll probably sit on them for a little while though.

8. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Pooh-Bah (2,211) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah

I wouldn't include PnB in this ranking because it's more wethorseblanket saison funk than it is a sour. Way more.

In any case, it's clear the real winner is YOU and those you tasted with. Cheers!

MarcWP likes this.
  9. SunDevil12

SunDevil12 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2013 Arizona

Looks like a great tasting, Marc! Have you had West Ashley or Chez Monus? Would be curious to see how you rank them in with the four you mentioned above :slight_smile:

Cheers!

-Connor

10. MarcWP

Hey Connor! Have not had Chez but have had West Ashley. Would have to place Ashley right smack in the middle. Enjoyed it a bit more than Fuzzy but I have to say I was extremely impressed with Filmishmish.

Hope you're doing well!

Cheers :slight_smile:

11. MarcWP

Tortoise prefers Fou as well :wink:

[​IMG]

12. cultclassic89

cultclassic89 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Texas

Hosted a bottle share at my apartment last night with @EA728 @BlackNotesIII and three other friends. We had a lot of stuff for six people!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3F Hommage
    Cantillon Geuze 100% Lambic Bio
    CCB Brewer's Brunch Stout
    CCB Hunahpu's
    NG Serendipity
    Westbrook Rhubarb Remix
    Three Taverns Quasimodo
    Westbrook Mexican Cake
    Firestone 16th Anniversary
    Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break
    TG/TH David
    TG PsuedoSue
    Terrapin/Green Flash Tangerine Dreamsicle
    CCB Lacto Guava Grove
    CCB Humidor Sour
    HF Everett
    Almanac Farmer's Reserve Blackberry
    Almanac Brandy Barrel Peche
    Lucid Silo
    Back Forty Paw Paw's Peach Wheat
    Saucony Creek Schnickelfritz
    Terrapin Liquid Bliss
    Terrapin Oaked Big Hoppy Monster
    DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus
    New Holland Dragon's Milk

Hommage was the last beer of the night and the agreed upon favorite. Cheers!

saliro5, egrace84, ADTaber and 2 others like this.
  13. nophunk

nophunk Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2011 Louisiana

I did 2013 Fou and Aurelian side by side in January. At the time, I picked Aurelian. The apricot flavor was more intense, and it had a really nice sourness at the time (I hear it's getting really sour now). That bottle of Fou was not apricot heavy and the funk wasn't there yet. I liked Fou more than Filmishmish back to back just a couple months ago. I didn't side by side West Ashley, but I did kill one solo last week and it was delicious. One of the most apricot forward beers I've had yet (b5).

MarcWP likes this.
  14. justlovebeer

justlovebeer Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2013 Alaska

Very cool tasting, I have been collecting beers as a gift for my wife and plan to give this set with the addition of West Ashley. I'm excited to hear that you rank Filmishmish so high. I had Fuzzy at a tasting and loved it. I'll let you know what I think when we have them side by side.

MarcWP likes this.
  15. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2008 New Jersey

So you've been collecting beers for you (r wife)?:wink:

16. MarcWP

Can't wait for the new batch of Aurelian to be released. Their peach sour should also be something great. Nocturn B2 has been my favorite so far, love how the new blonde base takes a back seat and let's the blackberries shine through. Super dry which I love and is perhaps why I prefer lambics over most American sours.

cultclassic89 likes this.
  17. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

[​IMG]

With GRDave, Otis, and a couple other friends. Probably the best overall tasting I've been a part of.

18. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Pooh-Bah (1,765) Jan 14, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah

Twice a year as many of us as we can get together break out the latest and the greatest from our cellars. Thanks to @mrn1ceguy for hosting. @bstyle brought the funk. @ThirstT had the BA Abraxas showstopper. @jpsy422 brought back the BA Stone. @doublej584j has the southern hook up. @schmidtmattsays always has HF on him. More importantly than the beer, it was a great Saturday afternoon. But you came to see the beer, so here it is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    #whalezbroz
    Top 5 in no particular order: Upright 7th Anniversary, Saison du Fermier, BA Abraxas, T-25, & DB Huna. Best surprises personally were how good the BA Mexican Cakes are and how much the NS Art #18 shined amongst stiff competition. On the flip side, BVDL doesn't improve with age and West Ashley was my least favorite of the entire funk lineup. BA Alpha Klaus w/Orange was easily the mascot of this tasting. Smelled like pledge. Tasted like acetone. Total garbage. I think the only beer not pictured is the growler of Toppling Goliath Zeelander. Pretty solid Saturday.

19. sjjn

sjjn Pundit (828) Jun 4, 2004 California

last week's monthly get together...[​IMG]

20. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

tasting from a few weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.