Pale Ales that Taste Like IPA's

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DerekCarruth, Jul 30, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slym

slym Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

I have seen a few of the rye IPAs called red ales...

:astonished:

2. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

History. I mean, Dale's Pale Ale has been sold commercially in cans since 2002. Kinda awkward to change the name/style/branding of a beer when it's been around for well over a decade.

3. Sqhead

Sqhead Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Port Brewing SPA. My current favorite.

4. EConnOG

EConnOG Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 South Carolina

it is! there toetally pale ale if you can get your hands on is nasty as well:grinning:

5. elkabong

elkabong Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Wisconsin

had this for the first time within the past year and it's probably my favorite "new to me" beer

6. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

I've always got a bottle in my fridge. This and Lake Louie Pale Ale are my go-to hoppy pale ales. Moreso even than Sculpin, Alpha King, Daisy Cutter, etc.

7. elkabong

i'm about to have a whole bunch of them in my fridge after the weekend. made the mistake of not buying enough the last time i saw it. won't repeat that error.

8. robear

Luckily I'm within blocks of a few shops that get fresh weekly deliveries. They are very reliable about getting fresh beer to us. I would suspect they'll get cleaned out around GToM, though.

9. elkabong

i'll be in Mke tonight! so, beating the GTOTM rush.

10. robear

Otto's, Downer, Discount, and Ray's should all have plenty. Ray's does tend to run out of Sparkly Eyes, Howler, etc. Milwaukee Public Market is a good secret spot to score bottles.

11. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Zealot (645) Feb 20, 2013 Florida
    Trader

His question makes perfect sense to me, not sure why he's getting his balls busted. He prefers hoppy beers and realized there are Pales that are delicious to him and quite comparable to IPA's. God forbid the guy wants to discover more great beer that he enjoys...

If I love stouts and pass up a porter that drinks like a delicious stout, I'd sure as hell want to know about it.

DerekCarruth likes this.
  12. MrDave

MrDave Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 California

Right. And the next guy that posts a Pliny vs Heady thread probably has a legitimate question or point too. Still, balls will be busted.

13. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Zealot (645) Feb 20, 2013 Florida
    Trader

"Recommendations for hop forward pale ales" and "Heady vs Pliny" are apples and oranges, but whatever.

14. DerekCarruth

DerekCarruth Savant (1,062) Aug 17, 2012 Georgia

I appreciate all the advice and a little ball busting. I spent a year trying all types and styles of beer and realized that IPA's were for me. I spent the next few years trying every IPA that I could. Over the last year I've gone to a few cities (Seattle, Minneapolis and Chicago) on mini vacations and started going to breweries and trying beers that I can't get here in Atlanta. That opened my eyes even more to the fact that I just love beer in general. IPA's will always be my go to first, but now I'm expanding.

Next trip is California. Going to hit San Diego and San Francisco. Should get my IPA thing down, but now going to enjoy more APA's and others.

Thanks to all that responded. Clearly I've got much beer to still drink.

15. Can_if_you_can

Can_if_you_can Maven (1,497) Mar 15, 2012 Minnesota

in WS unfortunately

16. Nick_V

Nick_V Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Wisconsin

BENT PADDLE - Trail Series DAYPACK

17. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I thought Bear Republic's Grand Am Pale Ale was pretty close to an IPA and Lagunitas New Dog Town as well.

18. generallee

generallee Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2008 Virginia

Dales Pale Ale and Sierra Nevada Ale.

19. peteboiler

peteboiler Zealot (666) Dec 16, 2010 Florida

Technically, yes. But to my less than educated amateurish mind, I tend to go by the labels on the bottle. Two Hearted is labled an ALE.

20. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

Odell Saint Lupilin ... big time pale ale that is hopped up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.