Jester King Snörkel

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by mattchow, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aschwab

aschwab Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

Have you ever been to one of our bottle shares? They always erupt into a mass brawl with at least 2 people getting stabbed. The last one was started over if BB6 was becoming infected or not.

2. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Pundit (841) Jun 28, 2010 Texas

While I appreciate your kind words and professional prose, I'm not clear how we "handled" this situation "wrong". I'm actually not even clear how we "handled" the situation at all. In reviewing this thread up until your post, all I can discern is that our Head Brewer @ElkSherpa (Garrett Crowell) pointed out that our beer is alive and constantly changing, and that we'd prefer that it not be reviewed until we deem that it's ready to drink and start selling the beer. I back Garrett up 100% on this point. I'll give you an example. Often times our beer goes through a "sick" phase in the bottle during the first few weeks after bottling. During this phase there's some odd aromas and textures. With time, the sick phase usually resolves itself. We of course prefer that our beer not be reviewed until this biological resolution takes place, and we start selling the beer.

Again, I'm not clear how this constitutes handling a situation, let alone rightly or wrongly. We certainly make no apology for pointing this reality out with our beer and stating our preference regarding the timing of reviews. - Jeff

#82 jesterkingbeer, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  3. tuct4lyfe

tuct4lyfe Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 Texas

Considering that you banned @mattchow from buying bottles of Snorkel for starting this thread -- all the while pretending that this is somehow not your own volunteers' (and whoever leaked the label's) fault -- certainly seems like an attempt to "handle" the situation. Whether it's "right" or "wrong" to ban someone from purchasing a beer I suppose is up for debate, but people are good at that around here.

4. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (1,182) Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Trader

A few months ago I was given a bottle of unreleased beer by a volunteer. You know what I did?
    I told him I'd wait to open it til @jesterkingbeer officially released it, because then it has been judged ready to drink by the brewer. People have told me it doesn't matter if you wait; that JK's beers are always changing, so why wait? I get that, but waiting lets you try the intended product.

I hope I'm not the only crazy that thinks it's nbd not to be the first to tick something.
    Edit: just saw post above about Matt. Interesante.

gtermi, tx_beer_man and air like this.
  5. aschwab

Give it up man. Who cares? What do you expect to get by being an ass to one of the few breweries that actually posts useful stuff on here?

kjkinsey, Daemose, darthvohn and 4 others like this.
  6. zchall23

zchall23 Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2009 Texas

Singling somebody out and berating them for saying something that you are releasing looks interesting and then they proceed to say it's good and then going on the offensive is in poor taste. I love several of your products, and I think you generally seem to be good spirited people. The truth is That said, if you change nothing, this will happen again -- whether it's Matt or somebody else. You can't hold that against Matt; he didn't know that you were so against putting out positive press for you guys that it would incur wrath.

Mcal, E-DUBB and Nablock like this.
  7. zchall23

That said, keep it up with making the great fruited beers you are. In the grand scheme of things, take this as a learning experience, and lighten up. You can't control everything in this digital age.

8. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Initiate (0) May 17, 2012 Texas

A lot of people care. Makes me wonder if I might get banned from purchasing bottles for posting a JK label from the TABC label approval website, which isn't very different from what @mattchow did in this thread.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/july-tabc-label-approvals.191621/#post-2568498

EDIT— Hell, I've started at least a couple threads on this website for beers that hadn't been announced yet.
    A lot of threads are started here with leaked labels, rumors, etc. Lots of us are friends with people who work at breweries and get to try stuff early and share their opinion before others have the chance. Never before have I heard of a brewery punishing a consumer for doing this.

#88 rainerschuhsler, Aug 15, 2014
    Mcal, DernzBern, boogercrack and 5 others like this.
  9. aschwab

Looter likes this.
  10. rainerschuhsler

Is it any different if he copied it from Joe Schmoe's blog or from a publicly available online database? Obviously the label left the brewery in a digital format, making it very easy for it to be passed around and shared online.

Mcal, DernzBern, boogercrack and 3 others like this.
  11. aschwab

But you are making assumptions on how he got it based on nothing. We do not know how he got it, and JK didnt want it to be released yet.

Either way, just because you "can" do something, doesn't mean you should.

12. rainerschuhsler

You're assuming i'm making assumptions based on nothing, but you're wrong.

DernzBern, zchall23 and Nablock like this.
  13. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Pundit (841) Jun 28, 2010 Texas

We contacted Matt privately regarding our decision. Now that it has clearly become a public matter, we will respond in kind. - Jeff

#93 jesterkingbeer, Aug 15, 2014
    kmello69 likes this.
  14. Krumb

Krumb Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Texas

so much validation in this thread.

tx_beer_man and nsheehan like this.
  15. zchall23

Yeah, that's a pretty mature way to handle something which was bound to happen, considering the way you handle yourself.

greenspointexas likes this.
  16. GlenMillsBeer

GlenMillsBeer Devotee (313) Jan 19, 2014 Pennsylvania

This thread is awesome. The best part is people are blaming the brewery because they don't want to admit that they are the problem.

17. zchall23

No, the moral of the story is that once something leaves your hands or is digital, unless you actively try to protect it, you have no reasonable expectation that it won't get out. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

Do you have a problem with the posting of label approvals? This is hardly different, and unless direct specific instructions are given otherwise, it's one's right to release a picture like this for fair use.

Phil_S, air and greenspointexas like this.
  18. GlenMillsBeer

GlenMillsBeer Devotee (313) Jan 19, 2014 Pennsylvania

Honestly with all this complaining I just want @jesterkingbeer to know that PA will buy all your beer and you could charge more money. So in the end all your beer will be sold without any of the tears.

mgr78704 and kmello69 like this.
  19. kmello69

kmello69 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Comment on post deletion removed.

There is a lot of self-entitlement going on in here. If the brewer would prefer that people not discuss/evaluate their beer until it actually gets released, or announced, that is 100% their right. You don't HAVE TO give a crap, or do it, but I guess I feel like out of respect its the right thing to do. If they want to ban someone, thats their right too, like any other business. You can agree or disagree, and react accordingly.

As someone who volunteers at JK semi-regularly, we all know what the expectations are regarding any beer we might receive. I'll admit that I often give those beers out to friends (because I'd rather share than keep all to myself), but I also always tell them NOT to open it until its released, because I know thats what the brewers want. Its the right thing to do. If JK asked me not to do this, I'd respect that.

I guess in large part it comes down to what you have the right to do, versus what's the right thing to do. We all get to choose our own answers to that one.

#99 kmello69, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  20. zchall23

Clearly you don't know too many people in PA, and haven't been to Tired Hands; there will be tears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.