Westvleteren Brewery

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by DieHippieDie, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erbu

erbu Crusader (418) Feb 12, 2014 Belgium

That's OK, you can bring them to me

codyhaskell likes this.
  2. azorie

azorie Pooh-Bah (2,409) Mar 18, 2006 Florida
    Pooh-Bah

yea but its get heavy, lol

trevorjk likes this.
  3. macesq

macesq Pundit (943) Apr 17, 2014 California
    Trader

Any pattern for when sixers are available at the cafe? I'll be making the trip sans car so no cases for me, but I'd love to bring home a sixer or two!

4. Brabander

Brabander Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2009 Netherlands

Nope...there is no pattern, just go to the abbey and 4 out of 5 times they sell the 12...

macesq likes this.
  5. macesq

Trader

Awesome, good to know! Thanks Brabander

6. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,467) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'll be there in a month.. I'm also going to check out the new place outside of Ypres, Brouwerij De Kazematten. Looks awesome.

7. Biersmurfke

Biersmurfke Initiate (0) May 11, 2014 Belgium

Ah , kazematten ... Good pub . If you would miss Westvleteren : i can trade some if you visit ypres.[​IMG]

StoutSnob40 likes this.
  8. beerpirates

beerpirates Initiate (0) May 4, 2010 Belgium

I've been there a few months ago , very nice place in Ieper !
    They have all beers from st bernardus on tap !!
    If i'm not mistaken i believe that the place is even owned by st bernardus !
    http://www.brasseriekazematten.be/index.php

9. macesq

Trader

A report back...got to In de Vrede early this morning (not much past opening at ten) and signs were up that they were currently not selling beer to go. Enjoyed a few in the morning, walked around the abbey grounds and checked in again around 2:00 to find the same signs. 2:15 prayer was great to observe (definitely worth going in while you're there). Stopped by beer pickup point after prayer and no sign of sixpacks being sold. A woman had just asked the man doing car sales and he told her to go to the cafe; he was speaking Dutch, but her translation to me was that they no longer sell sixpacks at the pickup point. Bit of a bummer, that, especially since fellow BnB guests had luck at the cafe yesterday (which we spent in Ieper to see WWI history). All in all I'm happy to have got it and spent time in the abbey, but would have loved to get a few bottles to share with friends back home who will likely never make the trip.

I'd recommend, if you're coming from far away and counting on scoring a few sixers, to plan on two possible days here. If you go on day one and have luck, spend day two in Ieper which was a nice little town (with a pair of solid belgian bottle shops). If no luck, you could try again on day two since you came all this way for the Westy after all :wink:

ETA: thought about dropping in tomorrow morning before my late morning train to Amsterdam, but of course they're not open Fridays. Such is life :slight_smile:

10. Stevenwings

Stevenwings Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2014 Belgium

Guys .... if you don't have a reservation try to set up a trade for Westvleteren .... its cheaper (€20 for 6 bottles!!!!!!) and you have a win win situation

SStein likes this.
  11. WhiteRock

WhiteRock Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 Texas

What do stores typically charge for a 6 pack? I will be in Brussels & Amsterdam in late October but will not be able to make it out to the brewery so my best chance is to find a store selling bottles or finding someone that would like to trade.

12. belvedere86

belvedere86 Maven (1,440) Apr 1, 2013 Belgium
    Trader

Normally you won't find it in stores. And if you will find it you will pay way too much for it. I think a trade is the best and fairest option.

SStein likes this.
  13. SStein

SStein Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2012 Colorado

If you aren't able to buy it at St. Sixtus it is often 10€+ per bottle. Places in Brussels often run closer to 12€. Trading is often a better deal.

14. SStein

When are you going to be here?

15. WhiteRock

WhiteRock Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 Texas

I will be in Brussels on 10/28 - 10/29.

16. SStein

I would help you out, but I will be in London for the NFL game.

17. a16ert

a16ert Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2013 England

I'm going there on the coming monday, hope the coffee shop got some six pack for sell...

18. AdamNowek

AdamNowek Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Netherlands

As far as Amsterdam goes, De Bierkoning has single bottles for €15 (as of today). I saw someone write today that Wijnwinkel Slijterij Ton Overmars sell them for closer to €10 each, but I haven't visited there yet. I might soon, because it's only a few blocks from my house!

19. patto1ro

patto1ro Pooh-Bah (1,998) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society

Then I'm amazed you don't go there regularly. It's the best allround off licence in Amsterdam.

AdamNowek likes this.
  20. AdamNowek

AdamNowek Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Netherlands

Never lived in this part of the city before this month :slight_smile: I will certainly be a regular soon enough!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.