Tasting Ghost Whales

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by plutoniumpete, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AgentZero

AgentZero Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009 Illinois

That and having a large beer penis. Let's face it, there's a reason guys are way more into this hobby than women. It isn't because women don't drink.

cavedave and digita7693 like this.
  2. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Well if those guys were running around on this site bragging I might agree with your second idea. But I suggest that’s too simple an explanation for the level of commitment, motivation, preparation and thought that went into their tasting. There are lots of easier ways to wave your dong around.

BrettHead likes this.
  3. Avalon68

Avalon68 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2008 Pennsylvania

Good article. Thanks for posting the link. Sounds like it was a fun tasting.

4. AgentZero

Well, I was one of those guys, I can tell you that's a huge part of it. I can't think of an easier one to wave it around in the beer world.

5. drtth

In Memoriam

Well, then let's get started with you describing for us your view of what the tastings were like. Is the article accurate?

Did you review them? Pointers to the reviews would help as if you've rated a lot of beers.

If not reviewed, just some descriptive info would be helpful.

6. tommyguz

tommyguz Initiate (0) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

NOT EVERYTHING DEALS WITH FANTOME!!!!!! *less than three emoticon*

Edit: Thanks for sharing those Fantome's with me when I was back east last time!

#86 tommyguz, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    CowsandBeer likes this.
  7. AgentZero

I think it's a pretty accurate way of how these tastings are sometimes come together. I've been involved in about 4 or 5 tastings I would consider to be "elite." For the most part, it was a group of us in Chicago spending a year hunting down as many whales as we could, and then throwing an Epic tasting. In addition to what we put together, we would also post ISOs seeking a rare brew or so in hopes someone would be willing to bring a sought after bottle to sit in on the tasting.

In other instances it was a matter of soliciting specific people who were known to have bottles (but wasn't an acquaintance) and then building a tasting around that. During one in particular, someone asked me to contribute an M to a tasting in NYC, on the off chance I was interested. It ended up with me flying out to NYC and meeting a bunch of wonderful people and having a great time.

Unlike what this article portrayed as more of a laid back event, most of the once I have been a part of have involved a bit more to make it seem like a bigger deal. We've hired professional chefs and professional photographers on a few occasions, as it's a rare occurrence so investing more in the peripherals seems appropriate.

As far as reviews, most of what I did was in the days before you could just "rate" the beers. A lot of my notes have yet to be uploaded (and realistically never will be because I'm just not on the site much anymore), some of the big guns like Soliel, Feestbier, other random whales, are missing. But yes, during the course of the tastings the majority would take some sorts of notes as documenting/reviewing does help to preserve the experience.

Not sure if this helps, I think it was 2011. Not quite the one with the most "whales", but it was the one that I remembered enjoying the most. Also, it's an example of me waving my beer penis around.

https://plus.google.com/photos/100033361481656869801/albums/5758120674401698577

8. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska

It seems some pretty well known internet beer characters are always hunting forgotten 90's bottles of Fantome and then posting pics online. With that said, it does seems they seem to be of a different breed than the lambic lovers and BCBS groups. More of an off center bunch it seems. Still, someone needs to properly document the next Fantome ghost whale gang bang. For science, of course.

EDIT: didn't @ElkSherpa have a solid tome' cellar?

stakem likes this.
  9. Sean9689

Sean9689 Pooh-Bah (2,270) Mar 17, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I was wondering why my old-ass post got so many "likes" today. :grinning: Can't believe that was a year(ish) ago! It's fun to try a bunch of really cool/rare beer, but mostly, it's about hanging with good friends and not so much about how crazy the tasting is. All the guys in that tasting are good friends of mine, not just random people who got together. Anyway, #whalesbro.

BMitch, BrettHead, HuskyHawk and 7 others like this.
  10. drtth

In Memoriam

Thanks! The additional information and viewpoint is quite interesting, but I do have to say I agree with Babe Ruth, Muhammed Ali, and several others who said something along the lines of, "It's not bragging if you can do it." Looking forward to the possibility of seeing your reviews of these beers if you get motivated.

11. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

I don't give a rat's ass about their whale beers, or what anyone drinks for that matter; I'm only a tad of jealous over the amount of time and cash these guys must have to pull off something like that.

Black_ox likes this.
  12. SouthAtholSuds

SouthAtholSuds Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2008 Massachusetts

I don't see anything wrong with it. YOLO!

CowsandBeer and Guzzle_McBrew like this.
  13. logicerror

logicerror Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2010 California

This all boils down to the concept of psychic benefits. That's all these guys are really doing here: exchanging money and time for the happiness a historically rare beer brings them. Nothing to do with any kind of objective quality of the beer, which doesn't exist. So asking "does that $1200 ghost whale REALLY taste better than my $10 local offering" is missing the mark a bit.

No different from a kid putting a quarter in the candy machine, a BA like you or me getting a fresh sixer for the weekend, or a billionaire buying a private jet.

Only thing different is the scale, we're all using our individually limited means to acquire psychic benefits.

14. Valleyview06

Valleyview06 Pundit (850) Oct 13, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'd be perfectly fine with the Fifty Fifty Eclipse and the donuts. That alone would cost $40.

15. HoppySeb

HoppySeb Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Washington

I wonder what Jean Van Roy would say about that tasting... probably would bring back awesome memories for him.

16. AgentZero

This one time, there was this really rare beer that everyone wanted and Sean had never had called <insert name of super ghost whale>. So Sean drank it. Again.

Sean9689 likes this.
  17. Sean9689

Sean9689 Pooh-Bah (2,270) Mar 17, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

JVR knew about this tasting, as a few bottles we had were directly from him as gifts or stuff we ran by him to make sure they were legit.

18. rocbrewcrew

rocbrewcrew Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2013 New York

We can't show up at someone's house with ring dings and pepsi.

19. kdb150

kdb150 Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

It's not so much about being able to brag about it, though I'm sure to some that has appeal. I mean simply having the experience, in your mind, to be able to look back on and say, "I did that."

I compare it to something like a vacation. To someone like me who likes to travel, it's nice to be able to look back and think about the places I've traveled to, and the experiences I've had. I've not traveled all that extensively, and don't really feel any need to brag about places I've been to, but the tens of thousands of dollars I've spent in my life travelling have given me a wealth of great and worthwhile experiences to look back on. And while for me the time, effort, and most importantly, expense involved in tracking down beers such as these doesn't seem worth it, if it WAS something I was that passionate about, I don't doubt that participating in a tasting such as this would provide me with much the same type of satisfaction and enrichment that I've derived from travelling. And in the end, I'm sure that would make it worth every penny.

drtth and LambicPentameter like this.
  20. AgentZero

Fixed it, stupid phone.

#100 AgentZero, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.