Crooked Stave 2014 Cellar Reserve

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Tarheel4985, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porkinator

porkinator Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2009 California

I live in California and split the Cellar Reserve membership with my boss the last 2 years. The beer has been fantastic to bring to bottle shares or even give as gifts.

I hope to finally visit them next year, sadly not as a member. Any idea what the "lifetime membership" will actually include?

2. fatsnowman22

fatsnowman22 Zealot (554) Feb 2, 2011 Nevada

I am disappointed in the recent news because I live in a beer "Black Hole" in Nevada. With all these comments it just makes me realize that many gifted brewers(artists) are not as good at business as brewing(art). I mean the website hasn't been updated since February and you can still get info on the 2013 Reserve Society(as an example). I really wish Chad and co. well and am happy for locals. I hope they hire someone with a business acumen to take care of the important business stuff and office work so Chad can brew and continue his vision.

blindpiggie likes this.
  3. Kramerbarthomer

Kramerbarthomer Pooh-Bah (2,092) Mar 22, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Trader

^^^^ Agree with this about their website. They have one of the worst websites I've ever seen for a brewery as highly regarded as they are

4. lordofthelambics

lordofthelambics Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Washington

I think the problem is that Chad has tried to hire business people, but they've hurt him more than they've helped him. One doesn't have to look much further than The Source for an example of this. Personally, I think the immediate success got to his head, and he just got overwhelmed by it.

5. fatsnowman22

fatsnowman22 Zealot (554) Feb 2, 2011 Nevada

I believe he has but the problem is perception is reality. If you cant maintain a simple website most could guess the business isn't being maintained much better. Although this may be unfair, it does seem possible.

6. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Maven (1,363) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

What's wrong with The Source? Is it the thing ASak10 mentioned about drainage (which I admit I hadn't heard before), or something else/more?

I always enjoy myself when I go there...

7. lordofthelambics

lordofthelambics Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Washington

Nothing is wrong with the location itself -- I've been there, and like you, have enjoyed myself -- but the fact that they screwed up on the drainage goes to show that someone didn't do their homework. Who designs, orders and installs hundreds of thousands of dollars of custom equipment before checking and seeing if the drainage system is up to standards? My understanding is that it's so bad of a screwup that it's going to cost them well into six figures to fix. Who knows if that's true, but if they're going to have to tear up the floor, take apart equipment, move them, and all that, I wouldn't be surprised if it came close to that. (And if it wasn't that expensive of a problem to fix, don't you think they would have already fixed it by now?). If that isn't the result of some bad business decisions by people who had no idea what they were doing, I don't know what to call it.

8. ASak10

ASak10 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 Colorado

And just to be clear again, I just heard the information from one of the beer guys at one of the local stores, so while I have every reason to trust and believe the information re the drainage/floor issues, it is coming down second/third/whatever hand, so take it with a grain of salt!

9. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Initiate (0) May 30, 2006 Colorado

If this post isn't the result of a person who has no idea what they're talking about regarding the particular topic we're discussing, I don't know what to call it.

In all seriousness, though, do you have a reliable source on the drainage system being the issue? Is your source reliable on the "My understanding is that it's so bad of a screwup that it's going to cost them well into six figures to fix."? I doubt that you do, unless your source was actually one of the couple of folks who are in charge at Crooked Stave.

There's a lot of conjecture in this thread. I think most of it is ill-informed. We can all wax philosophical about the reasons for the end of the Cellar Reserve, but the bottom line it's not our business or our business decision to make. We can all be bummed together, but I think that, overall, it's harmful to the scene to project so much negativity upon a situation that most of us know so precious little about.

10. KoloradoKonet

KoloradoKonet Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 Colorado

The positive spin I'm putting on all of this is that I have tons more money to spend on the phenomenal things Avery is doing with their barrel-aged program!

11. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

12. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Pundit (904) May 31, 2011 Colorado

Well, as a non-member, and someone who never wanted to be one, I'm glad the club is over. The shelf offerings have been pretty slim the last coupla-two-three years, and I'm looking forward to a little more variety. I liked the wwb beers and the petite sours, so I hope they return to the shelves.

boutwell and coreymcafee like this.
  13. ablackshear

ablackshear Zealot (671) Sep 17, 2010 Minnesota

But maybe Paypal can fix the drainage at The Source that Chad personally screwed up

14. adkieffer

adkieffer Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Washington

First possitive for the locals. Mamma Bear Sour Cherry Pie is being released in bottles to the general public during GABF.

15. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado

More amazing bottles for the locals who are or are not current members! Not sure how many members were not local, but as long as they have a limit on bottles to purchase I think they will hold on to the bottles a little longer. Lots of great beers to enjoy in 2015 and beyond.

bbfc and McNazz like this.
  16. buttesnake

buttesnake Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2013 Colorado

Oh shi...there goes my wallet.

bbfc and adkieffer like this.
  17. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Pundit (812) Jun 26, 2007 Colorado
    Trader

If you're a local and have your aha membership then no RS shouldn't really effect you. You still get the discount and have access to the beers. It's actually a better deal for you. You don't have to pay $19 each for the first two of each release and y'all can get together more to show off your brewery tshirts and swap stories about nonexistent girlfriends.

It sucks for me because now if I want the beer I have to go to the same place you all will be at, but it shouldn't be a bad deal for most of you.

bbfc and coreymcafee like this.
  18. beerdweeb

beerdweeb Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2010 California

Guys, lets sneak into the Source with a level and solve this sloping floor mystery once and for all!

cptnspeed1, bbfc and coreymcafee like this.
  19. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado

Less chance of running into you is starting to make this thing look better :wink:

bbfc likes this.
  20. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Initiate (0) May 30, 2006 Colorado

Man, if only the folks at Crooked Stave had thought of that. Maybe we should suggest it to them!

#520 coreymcafee, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    beerdweeb and bbfc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.