Pretty Things goes to town on "pay to play" in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Oct 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerMe2day

BeerMe2day Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2012 Wisconsin

It's also wholesale distribution as well. Hell AB got in trouble in the 70's and 90's for telling distributors if you carry XYZ brand you can't carry any of ours. It's been going on for a long time and as a consumer I have had it. People don't get why I will work so hard to NOT buy those products. It's because I find it awful that when I go to my local store that 75% or more are beer from the big guys. There are how many different packages of Bud Light, from multiple can packages to multiple glass packages. Mean while that one beer I want only comes in one package. Personally I have HAD it with the illegal games played that all impact my ability as a consumer to buy what I want. Instead I am left with having to purchase something I don't necessarily want because it's the best of the worst.

2. Cfahooligan

Cfahooligan Pundit (929) Mar 19, 2001 California

Just as I post The Globe makes an announcement. Maybe something has happened after all. But I will wait for the results.

3. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

frazbri likes this.
  4. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

5. BeerMe2day

Total agree sir...I am using my limited power of power of purchase. I refuse to buy any BMC beers...period. I will go liquor if that's the only option. They want to make it tough on bars with the distributor, fine, but you won't see a penny from me. Heck I made my sister cry because I would not buy or transport her bud light to the race track. I told her, she's on her own figure it out.

6. Auror

Auror Pooh-Bah (1,641) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

Love it:
    "The Massachusetts Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission has not taken any enforcement actions based on fair play complaints in at least 18 years, a spokesman said."

tx_beer_man and Sumdeus like this.
  7. BeerMe2day

It's been going on for decades, especially at the distribution level. didn't you ever think it was odd that there was so much shelf space for the same handful of beers and so little of the stuff you want? odd isn't it, when you start to take notice. It's everywhere.

8. emannths

Would love to see someone drop an FOIA request for fair play complaints filed during the last 18 years.

9. Todd

10. geocool

geocool Savant (1,209) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

Personally, I think BeerAdvocate owners have personal and professional relationships with lots of bar owners, especially in Boston, are overly sympathetic to the bar owner in this case, and are overly concerned about the perception that they might have started a thread that led to some users choosing to not patronize certain bars. The majority of the users of this site are consumers and it's only natural that their allegiances will be to beer and brewers, especially the ones that they like the most. For me, I base my opinion solely on what was written by Gordon Wilcox and re-posted in this thread.

11. Cfahooligan

I have not said one thing about the bars in question here. What I am saying though is that I would be pissed if i were singled out in a drunken rant. Having said that, Todd has personally been a friend of Dann's since the 90's. Well before Buk's came along. That doesn't negate the seriousness of what was said and done.

mschofield and Auror like this.
  12. mbs11

mbs11 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2009 Massachusetts

13. geocool

How about this?
    Not trying to single you out, I think Todd also characterized Dann's tweets as "drunken." Not helping my perception that your allegiances here are skewed a little bit in favor of the bar owner, as it seems some kinds of speculation are OK but not other kinds.

14. emannths

Todd likes this.
  15. Cfahooligan

But that's what they were. It's not a personal attack even if it seems that way. I believe more is going on and I personally think it's not really about the bars, it's about something else entirely. But without facts, without Dann's point of view, I am loathe to post gossip and rumors. We're friends with a lot of differently people in the industry and my bias doesn't go one way or another in this case. It might seem that way but that's just because of all the talking on the side going on.

I will say in the interest of sides though, I don't hang out at Buks a lot. I don't respect their pricing. I go there once in a while for a chili dog and a cocktail. But it's not my favorite jam. I just see their point of view about being singled out. Now it's getting serious with an investigation. If they wanted to, they could take this very far. And what Dann has done has made this very serious. I hope it ends with a parting of ways and nothing more.

geocool likes this.
  16. geocool

Wilcox's reply was not a denial, and that tweet from Dann was not a confirmation. Still, the fact that he has not backed away from it, and that there will be an investigation, tells me that the tweets were thoughtful and well planned, and it is exactly what I was hoping to see.

17. Sumdeus

Sumdeus Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2014 Indiana

If this practice is as wide spread as many are claiming it is I hope a lot more than a parting of ways. I hope heads roll, make the consequences serious enough that the people who instigate it are forced out or otherwise unable to.

#337 Sumdeus, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  18. geocool

I hope it ends with findings of wrongdoing, fines, license suspensions, and names being named.

GoesWithLobster and Sumdeus like this.
  19. mbs11

mbs11 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2009 Massachusetts

20. Todd

From the limited info I have, apparently the accused and accusing are under investigation. Which I assume is normal protocol anyway. Gather information form both sides, other sources, and then make a call; unlike many in this thread who are just taking sides before any real information is presented to them.

Jason and mbs11 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.