Crooked Stave 2014 Cellar Reserve

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Tarheel4985, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMagee

JMagee Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 New York

Thanks for the info. But I'm kind of confused by the tone of your response. It sounds like you're telling me the following.

1. Crooked Stave didn't have enough glassware for people in attendance.
    2. The glass you brought for a completely different reason wound up coming in handy because of 1.

I'm not trying to hate on Crooked Stave. I love just about everything they do and make it a point to go to the Source every time I'm in Denver (1-2 times a year). And I'm not trying to call them out for not having a toast.

The point I'm trying to make is, for me, Crooked Stave delivers enough for me on their beers alone. I don't need to toasts/growlers etc. to be swayed into giving them my money. They don't need to come up with these really cool ideas to treat Reserve members. But if they say they're going to do things, and don't, it's a bigger loss in credibility than not giving me a piece of swag.

Just be straight with people and let the beer do the talking.

buttesnake likes this.
  2. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

They didn't have any glassware at all. If you didn't have a glass, they suggested getting one of the plastic water cups (they were not dicks about it; they actually seemed pretty empathetic when saying it). That was actually kind of funny, but weird.

3. Prospero

Prospero Pooh-Bah (2,606) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well they haven't been opening the barrel cellar during the summer like they did last spring, so my guess is they just weren't prepared to really host w/ glassware.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the barrel cellar will be open on the weekends again?

4. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado

They told me no. When they tried it in the Spring they had days where nobody showed up so it wasn't worth it to keep it open.

5. MighHighBrewer

MighHighBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Colorado

I opened a Nightcap on Saturday night. It's good, but not as mind-blowing as the description would suggest. The cherries make the beer super tart, which in turn makes the coffee/expresso notes more pronounced than I'd like. I don't get any chocolate and minimal fruitiness. It's a beer that just needs to come together while the coffee mellows out....maybe in time? As it stands today, one of my 2 or 3 least favorite CR releases this year.

I had Surette Reserva at the taphouse...and loved it. With a little bit of time, this beer will be stellar.

Haven't had the Pluot yet.

Cheers!

6. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Initiate (0) May 30, 2006 Colorado

So, I stopped by The Source today to see if I could help fix this floor drain issue to try and help get the brewery up and running.

Suffice it to say that I was pleasantly surprised to see upon arrival, said floor drains accepting and appropriately discarding all of the water that could be thrown at them

I was of little help as I could only stand in the corner, mouth agape, and crippled with surprise.

[​IMG]

7. 3bthero

3bthero Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2012 Colorado

According to the twitter verse they are moving production to the barrel room anyways so the source drains are no longer necesaary.

8. 3bthero

3bthero Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2012 Colorado

http://blogs.denverpost.com/beer/2014/11/21/crooked-stave-putting-brewing-production-one-roof/14186/

9. ASak10

ASak10 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 Colorado

From the article:
    So yeah, like has been speculated, brewing at the Source seems to not be possible, for whatever reason. But this new setup sounds great, go Crooked Stave go! Makes sense with ending the Reserve program as well. I couldn't tell what's going to happen with the stuff at the Source though...decoration? Moving to the Barrel Cellar?

At the end of the day, who cares, just get us more CS beer!

10. mickyficky

mickyficky Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2011 Colorado

Hmmm. Apparently not such a tinfoil hat conspiracy after all. ;-)

11. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Initiate (0) May 30, 2006 Colorado

The decoration is currently leaving The Source for a trip across town. Stay tuned!
    [​IMG]

#571 coreymcafee, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    ASak10 likes this.
  12. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

I couldn't care less where they end up brewing, I'm just glad it's finally happening. Hopefully the "herbal remedy" in the air around the barrel cellar doesn't affect anything :grinning:

Gueuze_Goon and purplewindex like this.
  13. MtnSoup

MtnSoup Initiate (0) May 20, 2013 Colorado

Hilarious people are still talking/thinking this had anything to do with the floor drains. Stoked for what's ahead at Crooked Stave.

DividedAvery likes this.
  14. Prospero

Prospero Pooh-Bah (2,606) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So the article didn't say this other than saying they are going to brew more sour ales, but any information on any other styles of beer? And if so, how they anticipate keeping the brewery 'clean' from the bugs in the same building?

I have a nice swanky 40oz. growler I'd like to use.

15. ASak10

ASak10 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 Colorado

Yeah I remember rumblings of them brewing some more standard beers like IPAs and whatnot...curious about that as well. We don't need another Bruery situation here.

FrogOut69 likes this.
  16. profbobo

profbobo Crusader (443) Apr 24, 2008 Colorado

The source was nutty with all the equipment moved. I was shocked to walk in there tonight.

17. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado

I was just about to ask about how The Source location was looking / set up now that the brewing equipment is gone. It seems like it should have freed up a lot more space for tables and will aid in overcrowding in the future.

18. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado

On Wednesday they had 4-5 more tables over in that area. Didn't use the whole space though. One of the guys told me they will utilize part of the space for bottle sales.

19. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado

That seems like a great use of the space to me, freeing up the bar to serve during bottle events. I guess I will see for myself at the release on the 10th.

20. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Grand Pooh-Bah (4,216) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Kinda wish it would move out of the Source. It's really the only place I dislike going to just because of the atmosphere/setting

chicano4craft and Ratman197 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.