Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey to Introduce Third Brand: The Hop Concept

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by thelostabbey, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thelostabbey

thelostabbey Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 California

San Marcos, CA -- After dedicating over the past eight years building two distinctive brands, Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey are looking forward to debuting a third line of beers to the portfolio for 2015, branded as: The Hop Concept Brewing, the first beers to be released will be The Hop Freshener Series. Uncomplicated Hoppy Beers from the people who know how to make them.

[​IMG]

A quarterly series of India Pale Ales, The Hop Freshener Series will take a different approach to telling a story about beer: It simply won’t tell a story at all; the beer, itself, is the story and the names are the flavors and aroma of the beer. The series will include: Dank and Sticky IPA (February), Citrus and Piney IPA (May), Lemon and Grassy IPA (August), and Tropical and Juicy IPA (November). Each beer will be an exploration into different hop combinations, including the use of a few experimental hops that are new even to the brewers.

“The team and I are pumped to create four new hoppy beers, working with hop combinations that we’ve never tried before” said Matt Webster, Lead Brewer for Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey. “IPA’s have historically been a specialty of ours, so the chance to hone our skills even more has all the brewers fired up!”

The scale of each quarterly release is key, which will result in a limited bottle run and even more limited draft availability. These beers are designed to enjoy fresh, and when they are gone, it will be a year before they re-release.

“Here at Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey, we love our IPA's as much as everyone else. But lately we've noticed with so many of them hitting the market, it's been difficult to know how they taste and smell. So we thought how could we go about simplifying it for the consumer.” Said Tomme Arthur, Co-Founder and Chief Operating Owner of Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey. “And that's what we're aiming to do with our Hop Freshener Series. Consumers will be told directly through the name of the beer what they can expect. And by committing to small one-time batches, we expect the freshest beer will always be in their glass.”

The decision to feature The Hop Concept as a third brand came as an ambitious yet obvious choice to Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey, who continue to produce multiple lineups under the same roof.

“We’re very excited about The Hop Concept, the creation and management of a new brand is borderline crazy, but it’s going to be a fun ride” Media and Marketing Director Adam Martinez said. “We could have hit the easy button, but the direction and spirit of The Hop Concept was so different that we had to give it room to breath, while maintaining the independent and strong identities of Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey.”

The Hop Freshener Series will be distributed throughout the Port Brewing and Lost Abbey distribution territories.

About Port Brewing / The Lost Abbey
    Founded in 2006, Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey produce an extensive line-up of continental and American- inspired ales and lagers. Under the direction of visionary brewmaster and co-founder Tomme Arthur, the brewery has garnered dozens of awards in its seven-year history including the 2007 Great American Beer Festival Small Brewery of the Year, The 2008 world Beer Cup Champion Small Brewery and the 2013 Champion Brewery at the San Diego International Beer Festival. The company’s beers, many of which are aged in oak barrels for 12 months or longer, are universally recognized for their complexity, unique flavors and bold boundary-pushing styles. For more information, contact Port Brewing / The Lost Abbey at 155 Mata Way, Suite 104, San Marcos, CA 92069, telephone (800) 918-6816, and on the web at http://www.LostAbbey.com

###

2. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

This is such a great idea. Can't wait.

3. FutureJack

FutureJack Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2007 California

This makes me giddy. They are my favorite brewery and my only complaint is that sometimes it's hard to find fresh Mongo, Wipeout, etc. Sounds like this should take care of that problem.

Seriously their beers hold their own with any beer I have ever tasted. Can't wait until February.

4. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't care about new brands or names, but seasonal hoppy beers are always a good idea. Love it when I KNOW the beer I'm considering buying is fresh. I'm exited to try these.

#4 DIM, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    woemad likes this.
  5. randylangford

randylangford Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

I was excited to hear about this when Tomme told me about it during their Pittsburgh launch a few weeks ago. Love me some Dank and Sticky!!!

6. atun53

atun53 Aspirant (200) Mar 20, 2013 California

Hopefully this brand will have the QC dept that Port seems to be missing. If I can get a bomber of IPA that isn't a quarter trub, then it will be awesome.

7. Jimmy_Melnarik

Jimmy_Melnarik Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2014 California

8. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

I had no idea that Port Brewing and Lost Abbey are these weird dicephalic conjoined breweries, that apparently want to be a cerberic triumvirate of breweries.

#8 gillagorilla, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    woemad, tylerstravis and _RL_ like this.
  9. Jimmy_Melnarik

Jimmy_Melnarik Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2014 California

They share a brewhouse/taproom. Went there for the first time on Saturday.

10. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

It started with Pizza Port which then spun off into Port Brewing and then later started making Belgian inspired ales under the Lost Abbey name. It became such a big thing that they decided to dedicate half the brewery to The Lost Abbey.

Jimmy_Melnarik and Geuzedad like this.
  11. BriantheBeerGeek

BriantheBeerGeek Zealot (585) May 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

Greatest IPA label ever.

12. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

Love the place and go there every time I go to California. Looking forward to these. Tomme and company are awesome!

13. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Muhahahaha. That sounds awesome. Port makes some great IPAs.

jakecattleco likes this.
  14. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

Sounds so west coast...and I mean that in the best possible sense....

swolepeer and Rhaegar18 like this.
  15. Omnium

Omnium Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

I'm overly joyed at this now that these brands are now distributed here in SW PA

16. therackman

therackman Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2009 Oregon

Same concept as block 15 sticky hands. Hope theyre as good.

17. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Grand Pooh-Bah (3,185) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Epic idea!

18. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

You know something is a good idea when a company like Lost Abbey who gets a bit of grief on this website comes up with an idea that at least most of the first twenty points seem to think is a great idea.

Hope they create a special year round Red IPA. May I suggest Red Barn IPA as your staple for this series.

swolepeer likes this.
  19. thegrimone

thegrimone Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2011 Virginia

I can't be the only one that wanted a hop scented air freshener?

woemad, pgrenvicz, sunnrider and 5 others like this.
  20. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Dude I knew about this like five years ago. Leonardo decapitation and I went into his mind and inceptionized the idea into him while he was sleeping. It was a weird scenario. Ellen page was also there.

Geuzedad, albertq17 and FutureJack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.