The OFFICIAL Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice thread

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by LiquidTable, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaybags

jaybags Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2012 Michigan

i dont know about the bottle labeling since i didnt get any, but it seemed to be clearly announced.

i thought it was a great event and outstanding beers.

cheers

2. hypnotiks

hypnotiks Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 Michigan

I came back around 10, as I had some things to do during the day, and the 6 beers + KRE were still on tap. BB4D kicked around 1030, and the rest lasted until they closed down the outside taps.

FEUO likes this.
  3. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (1,097) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

Why do you think they didnt make any?

4. Blowofftube

Blowofftube Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2012 Michigan

Because I was drunk last night and wanted to start conspiracy theories. But don't really care if they did or not.

Boosully likes this.
  5. IAmJacksHopTongue

IAmJacksHopTongue Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Indiana

My GUESS for the BB4D:
    The base beer was the 2013 4D batch, which means the barrel-aged version wasn't ready until 2014.
    For whatever reason, they didn't make any 2014 labels, so they just covered the 2013 date on the back of BB4D bottles. Either way, I am guessing that it is 2014 BB4D.
    Maybe they didn't brew any 2014 regular 4D, so it wasn't worth the expense of 2014 labels?

6. LiquidTable

LiquidTable Initiate (0) May 3, 2011 Michigan

It was most definitely a 2014 batch. The entire batch went into Bourbon barrels this year, as we decided to also release the brand new Old Village, which is a similar style. Regular 4D 2014 vintage does not exist. With all the last minute stuff happening at the brewery to prepare for the party, I neglected to inform you guys of the alteration of the label.
    Our label provider contacted us Thursday evening after 10 days of avoiding us to tell us the 2014 BB4D label we ordered 4 weeks prior would not be ready until Jan 2. Obviously that wouldn't work, so we were forced to use old leftover label stock and destroy the date, covering it with the "barrel aged" sticker.

The leftover regular 2013 4D was kegged down to be cellared and saved for a later date, then packaged for this release. All of the 2013 BB4D bottles were sold previous to this release. Hope that clears it all up.

Thanks to all for the support this weekend!

7. landrewg

landrewg Zealot (590) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Was there with the wife and our friend on Saturday night. Great time and great beer. BB4D is one of the best beers in the country/world. Would love to have it in my fridge at all times!
    Just saw the FB post of a few hours ago. Was there a problem with the BBQ? My stomach was pretty messed up Sunday morning. Could have been the mix of mexican food with BB4D, BBAS and KRE!

#807 landrewg, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  8. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Pundit (846) Mar 31, 2010 Washington
    Trader

The FB post was in response to comments made on social media by the owner of Detroit BBQ. They had nothing to do with any specific problems with the food this weekend or anything like that.

landrewg likes this.
  9. JohnB87

JohnB87 Zealot (649) Mar 14, 2011 Michigan

Kuhnhenn cut ties with Detroit BBQ because of the owner's profane political rants. I won't link it, but you can Google it yourself.
    I never thought the BBQ was that great anyway.

JasonR1975 likes this.
  10. JasonR1975

JasonR1975 Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Cliff Notes: Owner said cops deserved what they got and he told one of the police defenders that replied to his rant to go suck start a pistol.

I'm reading this isn't the first time the owner has ran his mouth in that fashion.

11. magnumpoppy

magnumpoppy Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2011 Michigan

I was like number 200 in line just outside the tent when kuhnhenn opened for business at 11. there were 2 F**k tards that tried to take cuts but I called them out and the kuhnhenn staff kicked them out of line. They call me "line police" as they left. If you want to get good beer, get there at 8:30 am like I did. Don't be an @*shole. If there was line cutters they were not near me.

dmhurdle, rckjr, Marti403 and 7 others like this.
  12. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Pundit (846) Mar 31, 2010 Washington
    Trader

I think I was immediately in front of you - the long-haired Kuhnhenn employee threw them out, right? If you are who I think, I was the one showing your group the roof picture from Kuhnhenn's page that you guys appeared in.

Also, FWIW I think we were closer to 150-160. I knew the guy who was like #102 or 3 (he missed the glass by 2 or 3 ppl) and I counted just over 50 people between me and him.

13. caber2615

caber2615 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2011 Michigan

What about the leftover 2014? Are you going to use those spiffy new labels on Jan 2 and do a silent release so I can grab my case? Wishful thinking...

14. Runninmixz

Runninmixz Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Michigan

You guys make excellent beer. May I suggest, however, running more than 1 register, and allow drinks in the tent while we wait? iPads/iPhones with Square readers might also help move the line quickly. Very happy to enjoy the beer at home now, but the whole "party" aspect was lost on many of us as we weren't allowed to take drinks into the tent until after the line subsided. Sorry for the unsolicited feedback, but some minor tweaks could have drastically improved things for those of us in the line.

Thanks for the info on the bottles as well. The American Stout is outstanding. That was the first time I've had that.

stooge, Corbet and MPorts25 like this.
  15. loganburgh

loganburgh Pooh-Bah (1,636) Nov 23, 2010 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think my brother and I were the "f**k tards" that you so eloquently described. You were the guy chirping at us even after we assured you that we weren't there for bottles and wouldn't be cutting, right? If so, you have grossly misrepresented the (non) situation.

We entered the taproom at 11am and then simply walked outside to check if there was a separate line for the special draft stuff. After asking around, addressing your paranoia and checking with the Kuhnhenn employee, we walked back inside and enjoyed a spot at the bar for a couple of hours. I assure you we weren't kicked out of line as that would require being in line in the first place. It ended up working out pretty well because shortly after we sat back down, the bartenders starting taking orders for the limited draft stuff and bringing it inside for us. We were enjoying KRE and BB4D while the line was still overflowing out of the tent.

If I've mistaken you for someone else, please disregard. If you are the gentleman in question, you should work on not letting your imagination run wild prior to spewing on the internet.

16. barhoc11

barhoc11 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2014 Michigan

Of course you weren't cutting, you got called out.

17. loganburgh

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension. We weren't there for bottles - weren't willing to wait in line for a pour of beer. I suppose we did get "called out," but it was while standing to the side of the line and trying to figure out what the draft arrangement was. Our getting "kicked out" consisted of me asking the Kuhnhenn guy if there was a separate line to get pours, him telling us no and then us walking inside to enjoy beer.

But, hey, someone said something on the internet - must be true.

Fargrow likes this.
  18. barhoc11

That is what they all say!

19. loganburgh

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

^Thank you for the substantive contributions.

His comments fired me up because I am the type to take the initative in calling people out for line jumping. It's a major pet peeve whether at a beer event, amusement park or even in line at a store.

Anyone that attended the event knows that it wasn't exactly clear how to get the limited draft stuff. After sitting down at the bar the bartender even intimated that the one line arrangement outside was asinine.

#819 loganburgh, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    Fargrow likes this.
  20. barhoc11

I agree, the line situation was a mess but you have to agree that any time you call someone out for cutting, they give a similar excuse as you did. Most cutters will not move unless someone says something to them so I guess you were the exception to the rule in this instance. Maybe you aren't the people he was referring to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.