Pseudosue batch variation questions

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by David_Menendez, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 515BrewingDave

515BrewingDave Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2013 Iowa

I agree with what you are saying here, but, like I said, I think it depends on what you're trying to do and control for, and also the definition of "significant variation".

If you don't particularly care about haze vs. no haze, and aren't attempting to control for it as a manufacturer, I don't think it matters a whole lot if batch to batch things are a little weird appearance-wise. I think you obviously would love for it to be consistent, though, and the things you ARE trying to control for should be largely unaffected by the things you aren't trying to control for, if that makes sense.

The obvious fix for this issue is filtering (or centrifuging...) , but if that has a negative impact on flavor or aroma, isn't it better to not tinker with clarity and just leave it be? (or, if you care about it, attempt to detect and adjust what's causing the haze I suppose...).

Again, though, I agree with what you're saying here in general. If AB, or even one of the larger regionals, was making this beer, I think their team of lab and QA folks would not let it move around that much appearance-wise. It probably wouldn't be as delicious and unique either.

2. Spinrathen

Spinrathen Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2013 Iowa

I like it both ways. I find that when I have regular access to it on tap I prefer it in bottles, and when I have regular access to it in bottles I prefer it on tap.:wink:

3. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2011 Nebraska

Had a bottle from a batch bottled about ten days ago and it had much more melon attributes to it than any previous bottles I have drank. Definitely understanding of bottle/batch variation just more of a fan of the more mango/cirtrus attributes I had grown to expect in this beer.

4. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

I picked up a bit of melon in this last batch as well.

Stouttyme likes this.
  5. Beestin

Beestin Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Iowa

I pref bottle like some others. I've noticed that when it's on tap it's always clear... like bud light clear. Everytime I've had it at El Bait shop (10x maybe?) it's been like this. When in bottles its always hazy.

Anyone have an idea as to why? I thought maybe they fill bottles first which would come from lower in the tank (right?) and then kegs last so the keg beer is from the top of the tank where most of the sediment, etc has fallen to the bottom. That's just a wild guess though.

6. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Last pint I had at the taproom on 12/20 was hazy as all get out

7. Beer4B

Beer4B Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Florida

Slow day at work so forgive me for not only lurking but now also commenting...

I just had my 1st 6-pack of Jai Alai that was brewed at the Brew Hub (centrifuge) and I swear the clarity and beer were both "better". (quoted to acknowledge subjectivity) I'm not sure "filtering" for better clarity also has to mean that aroma and flavor is also being filtered out. Though I really wouldn't know without a side-by-side. I think some of the largely popular unfiltered and murky DIPAs are simply a result of a smaller brewer not having the millions necessary for a centrifuge then an example of how filtering takes away from the beer. My .01 (because .02 would be too much and actually require some knowledge here).

Cheers, I love the Midwest! Back to my rightful region...

8. 515BrewingDave

515BrewingDave Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2013 Iowa

Personally, I think centrifuge is the way to go. If I were building a packaging brewery, it would be high on my list of things to buy, particularly if I was dealing with some non-flocculant yeast strains.

Depending on how long it's taking to get beer clear in a brite, it can be a massive cellar capacity multiplier too.

My personal opinion - and one that's shared by many - is that, in general, brite beer results in a better, more shelf stable and consistent product. There are always exceptions, though, and one of the best things about this industry is that there are enough people doing experimental things that you get a chance to taste them out first hand!

BrettHead and BottleCaps80 like this.
  9. nograz

nograz Maven (1,390) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

It could also be that it has more time to settle in the keg.

It is amazing what can settle in the secondary fermenter when home brewing. Or there is also a technique called cold crashing to help clarify, by the keg being chilled, this could essentially be the same as cold crashing. Either way it probably has to do with it being a larger vessel and time/cold.

10. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

I'm guessing you are on to something there as I almost always find kegged Belgian beer to be less hazy (and not as good) as their bottled counterparts.

edit: But then as you get towards the bottom of the keg they become extremely hazy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.