Boulevard opinions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HopzzzJunkie, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasW

JasW Pundit (873) Jul 11, 2014 Florida

I'm inordinately fond of both Tank 7 and Sixth Glass. I'd dare say the latter edges out Three Philosophers for best American quad.

2. gmartin235

gmartin235 Initiate (193) Nov 5, 2013 New York

They will be in NY within a couple of months, but they already have distro right across the river in NJ. Tank 7 is a great solid beer

zid likes this.
  3. snarygare

snarygare Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Kansas

It was quite diffrent than when fresh. Id say the funk was developed more.. although im no tasting expert.. lol But yes it was damn good for sure.. easy drinking and very tasty

JackHorzempa likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks! I was trying to get a feel for how long Saison-Brett would need to be aged to get some prominent funky (barnyard) Brett flavors. It would appear that 1 year (and beyond) is needed.

Cheers!

5. amg

amg Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2012 Indiana

The Rye-on-Rye is one of my favorite beers of all time. I can't wait for the 2015 release.

snarygare likes this.
  6. snarygare

snarygare Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Kansas

Yes Jack.. i think a full year would do the trick.. to be fair this was probably aged closer to 18 months....

JackHorzempa likes this.
  7. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Pooh-Bah (2,965) Sep 9, 2013 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Tank 7 is one of my go-to beers. Top notch, very drinkable.

My experience with their other beers has been largely positive, but not as over-the-moon as some here.

8. Shinck14

Shinck14 Initiate (0) May 30, 2014 Kansas

I agree with the "craft beer by numbers" posts on here. Being a KC native i'm spoiled to have all of their beers readily available save a few smokestack that are tough to get. But i'm pumped about this years brewing schedule and i think that they're going to make a huge leap forward with multiple love child releases and the variants of imperial stout

aratcliffe likes this.
  9. Tridement

Tridement Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Wisconsin

Boulevard is world class...yes they make a bunch and distribute widely, but they were my gateway into the world of beer back in 99 and have since only gotten better. Love Child is one of my all time favorites, buy on sight!

10. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

I was about to pull the trigger on some Double Wide yesterday but it wasn't very fresh and a bit pricey. Oh well, some other time.

11. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Unfortunately the only bottle of the Imperial Stout I brought back from a trip to Colorado in 2011 (this was before they distributed to PA), it ended up being an infected batch. So I've been weary of anything barrel aged from them since.

floridadrift likes this.
  12. gmrv4

gmrv4 Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2012 Missouri

I started with Boulevard Wheat back in the early nineties. It was my gateway beer to what was later to become known as craft beer. Drank the Wheat for years until it finally dawned on me that they have other stuff too. Pale Ale and Single-Wide were a revelation at the first sip. In the summer time I drank gallons of what they called Boulevard Pilsner, now KC Pils. Tank 7 is always in my frig along with some of there other stuff too. Then along came the Smokestack Series and more wow, this is great stuff. I have banged around drinking hundreds of different beers from lots of breweries but mostly I find there is not a dimes worth of difference between most of them. Sure there are subtle differences among breweries and I appreciate the opportunity to give them a try. Eventually I wander back to good old Boulevard and find myself content.

JeremyDanner likes this.
  13. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Pooh-Bah (1,945) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah

sorry this is off topic but did anyone else notice Ben Affleck wearing a Boulevard Brewing t shirt in Gone Girl?

14. JeremyDanner

JeremyDanner Zealot (679) Dec 20, 2005 Missouri

We cellar Saison-Brett for 3 months after bottling so it has time to develop noticeable brett character before we release it, but it definitely develops/intensifies with age.

snarygare and JackHorzempa like this.
  15. Hopheadgou

Hopheadgou Initiate (0) May 14, 2014 Connecticut

Love Child No.3 and No.4 are still one of my all time favorite sours. And BBQ is awesome too.

JeremyDanner likes this.
  16. JeremyDanner

JeremyDanner Zealot (679) Dec 20, 2005 Missouri

Barrel aged beers, with the exception of Love Child beers, are pasteurized before packaging so you don't have anything to worry about. Here's my blog post with more information:

http://www.boulevard.com/pasteurization-at-boulevard/

jmdrpi likes this.
  17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

A month or two ago I had Saison-Brett on draft at a local beer bar. That particular beer had very noticeable funk. How do you handle Brett when producing the draft version of Saison-Brett? Do you do a secondary conditioning process? If so, how long do you let this process go? Is there any way to compare secondary conditioning at the brewery with bottle conditioning as regards the development of funk? Does bulk conditioning accelerate the development of Brett funk vs. adding Brett to the bottle?

Cheers!

18. Purp1eOne

Purp1eOne Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2010 Illinois

Saison-Brett, 80 Acre and Single Wide are all good beer

19. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Pundit (895) Oct 31, 2012 Washington

Tank 7, Double Wide, Saison-Brett, BBQ...all super well executed.

One of Boulevard's that doesn't get the love it deserves is Bob's 47 Octoberfest. Best American Octoberfest brewed from sea to shining sea.

20. riotontheroad

riotontheroad Savant (1,211) Apr 7, 2010 California
    Trader

pretty solid brewery all around. especially LOVE CHILD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.