Alcohol By Volume Limits According to State Laws

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djchrismac, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sayson

Sayson Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2005 North Carolina

When we raised the cap from 6% in NC, a 15% cap was put in fairly late in the game for the sake of political expediency. Our lobbyist was told that an unlimited bill wouldn't pass the state house.

2. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Given all the maddening laws around the country, I think we've got it damn freaking good in VA, as I can't think of any particular troubling law!

jasoncheb likes this.
  3. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Found some more definitive info on Utah, from Uinta Brewing's website:
    Isn't regular beer illegal in Utah?
    Not at all. Utah, like many states, has a state-run system, requiring you to purchase higher-alcohol content beers at a state-run liquor store. Beer available in grocery and convenience stores are capped at 4% alcohol by volume (3.2 by weight); the same system as in Colorado, Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Kansas. Uinta Currently brews beers ranging from 4% ABV to 13.2% ABV.

4. Lukass

Lukass Pooh-Bah (2,807) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

djchrismac likes this.
  5. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma
    In Memoriam

Yes it is.

6. Johntomk

Johntomk Zealot (678) Jul 22, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

Lately, Tennessee has made a lot of changes and mostly for the better. Laws are still pretty archaic even compared to a lot of other southern states. High gravity beer may only be sold in liquor stores, right now. Here's the breakdown:

Low gravity beer = 5% ABW or less
    High gravity beer = greater than 5% ABW Maximum = ?

Grocery stores will be able to sell beer up to 8% ABW starting July 1, 2017, yet they will be able to sell wine at a much higher ABW. Prior to July 1, 2014, liquor stores could not sell low gravity beer or anything other than liquor and high gravity beer. They couldn't even sell a corkscrew! Though, this has recently changed.

I cannot find anything that states whether or not there is a maximum ABV for high gravity beer in Tennessee. Every article I've read relating to Utopias says Tennessee is one of the states it isn't distributed in due to ABV, but I can't find any info on the actual law. Does anyone here have any info on that?

7. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

When i saw the title, I had a feeling this thread was started by an Ohioan

8. steve8robin

steve8robin Savant (1,236) Nov 7, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just found this website: http://www.legalbeer.com/liquor-laws-by-state and saw this:

New Mexico – Sale is not state controlled. On-premise sale from 7 A.M. to 2 A.M. and off-premise until Midnight except on Sundays no sale is permitted on or off-sale. Stores can apply for on and off-premise licenses to allow for Sunday sales if their municipality allows it but sale on Christmas is never permitted. Alcohol can be sold in grocery stores. Parents, legal guardians and adult spouses are allowed to give minors alcohol within private property of their control.

Didn't know the last line was legal in ANY state. Wonder if that's why Walter White gave Walt Jr. liquor by the pool on Breaking Bad, aside from the fact that he was going a little off the rails...

9. Retsinis

Retsinis Maven (1,486) Sep 25, 2009 Arizona

No limit's on ABV in CA that I'm aware of, as Black Tuesday is 19+% and when available, Sam Adam's Utopias at 26-28% is available, along with Tactitcual Nuclear Penquin and Sink the Bismark on rare occasions. With the exception to bars having to close at 2 p.m. and cannot open earlier then 6 a.m. law wise it's pretty unrestrictive here for the most part. Also beer, wine, liquor, all sold in grocery stores, liquor stores, wal-marts, target's, etc. The main "law' we have issues with in the state is on growler labeling...which is just a hot mess of smoke, mirrors, (i.e. "brewery interpratation differences ) etc. More can be found in the forums on that topic here on BA.

10. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Zealot (510) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

Do we have a limit in Wisconsin? Other then 10 DWI's

dogbert617 likes this.
  11. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Pundit (784) Jul 29, 2006 New Hampshire

I don't really know what gets sold in other states, here in Oklahoma though most everyone who lives here understands that at locations with "beer only" licenses, you're getting 3.2 ABW beer.

12. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

Low point beer (3.2% abw/4% abv) is only brewed for 5 states for cold sale in supermarkets and convenience stores - CO, KS, MN, OK, and UT.

13. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

Close enough. :wink:

dogbert617 and JohnnyK like this.
  14. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Initiate (0) May 24, 2006 North Carolina

So much for live free or die... ouch!

15. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

16. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Initiate (0) May 24, 2006 North Carolina

I wish we could get this altered again. I had WWS in Florida and it was mind-bending.

17. georgiaboy8686

georgiaboy8686 Zealot (685) Feb 2, 2013 Maryland

That's just stupid

dogbert617 likes this.
  18. djchrismac

djchrismac Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 Ohio
    Deactivated

19. djchrismac

djchrismac Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 Ohio
    Deactivated

Can I assume you meant bars must close by 2 A.M.?

Retsinis likes this.
  20. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

"Sale of alcohol 76.5% ABV or higher is illegal"....Cali's only cap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.