Founders - Dave's Not Here

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by jacob4999, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

I think the only consistent information is the three different barrels. I had been told by two separate bartenders it was an Amber Ale. Based on the flavor I would not be surprised at all if Rye was used in the beer.

2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I liked this beer more than the Frangelic Mountain Brown. However, hazelnut flavor is not a taste that I like, so my comment is not meant to discourage anyone from trying that one.

3. raymo55

raymo55 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2011 Michigan

I am sure you will be sharing this in our local conversations. :wink::wink:

4. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Ohio

THis beer sounds amazing i love what Founder's does with barrels...I was lucky enough to get some KBS at a bar and it was amazing...

Has any1 spotted this in Columbus or Akron recently???

5. trginter

trginter Pundit (755) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan

Of course. We don't have the crowd Chicago does so kegs usually last a few days when something awesome gets tapped.

6. chromemittenman

chromemittenman Initiate (0) May 1, 2011 Michigan

From asking 3 Founders employees independently on Wednesday July 4th, "What exactly is Dave's Not Here"? I got the exact same reply....

It is a red ale that was aged in three different kinds of barrels in equal amounts and then recombined into one beer. I believe they said Maple Syrup Bourbon, Rye, Whiskey are the 3.

All I know is that it was out of this world and the 3 glasses I had I cherished. Big thumbs up for the Bravo IPA too!

7. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Dave's Not Here was incredible... Awesome way to start and end a week of camping. Still having FMB on July 4th was icing on the cake.

8. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Michigan

Dave Engbers is one of the co-founders of Founders. Maybe it has to do with him.

9. trginter

trginter Pundit (755) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan

Someone said it was named that because people would always call the brewery looking for "Dave" and they would always tell them "Daves not Here."

10. averagejake872

averagejake872 Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2011 Illinois

Cheech and Chong

11. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Cheech and Chong for sure. Stated a couple times in this thread too.

12. TheMittenBar

TheMittenBar Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2011 Michigan

Just got word we will also have this for our tap takeover today in Ludington. Our rep told me that it was a red ale aged in three different barrels. Pretty pumped to try this!

raymo55 likes this.
  13. JDizzle

JDizzle Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2010 Indiana

Just had it at Founders and it's BadAss!!!

pointyskull likes this.
  14. emelius

emelius Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2012

Dave Engbers is bringing a keg to Chatam Tap in Indy tomorrow...I can ask him about it, but it sounds like it's settled...

15. TheMittenBar

TheMittenBar Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2011 Michigan

Talked to the Founders rep last night and it's a red/amber ale that they aged in bourbon, rye whiskey, and maple syrup bourbon barrels then blended to taste. There is no Red's Rye in it, evidently that rumor was started by a server that had a hard time listening to the explanation. They just heard red ale and assumed it was Reds Rye.

It is a fantastic beer though!

16. emelius

emelius Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2012

[​IMG]

great stuff...I think Dave & John are hanging outside...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.