king George/Fredericksburg va area beer/food recs?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by makisupapolice14, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Pundit (799) Jun 5, 2005 New York

Hey all, my wife and I are traveling to king George va the last weekend of march from rochester NY for a wedding. The wedding is at a plantation somewhere in king George but we want to stay in a beer centric (walkable?) Area. My friend suggested Fredericksburg area. Is this a solid recommendation or is there another area we should stay instead? Any hotel/beer/food spots would be much appreciated.

We are also debating doing a night somewhere enroute or the night after the wedding somewhere between va and Roch (maybe harrisburg for troegs, etc) but that's a different thread.

2. stereosforgeeks

stereosforgeeks Maven (1,409) Jul 10, 2005 Virginia

Theres a marriott right downtown, which is walkable to everything in the historic area including a Capital Ale House. I dont think there would be anywhere else close where you'd want to be.

3. makisupapolice14

Good to know. Just booked a night at that Marriott for $84! Thanks. Besides capital, any other breweries/beer bars near by worth visiting?

#3 makisupapolice14, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. stereosforgeeks

There are a bunch of bars but I mostly stick to Capital. Breweries in the area are blue and gray and Adventure brewing. If going for a longer drive you can check out the richmond breweries like Hardywood, etc...

5. makisupapolice14

Any good bottle shops near Fredericksburg?

6. stereosforgeeks

The butcher shop downtown normally has an interesting selection. Unfortunately its the shop with the most selection is total wine.

Feel free to msg me if you have any other questions.

7. makisupapolice14

One week out. Any good food and beer options near the Marriott in Fredericksburg?

8. stereosforgeeks

Best food downtown is Foode small selection of local beer. We have a really good Chinese food place (not downtown but close) called Peter Changs. He was a chef at the chinese embassy and has had a bunch of articles written about him. He rotates between a bunch of regional locations.

9. TomCat11

TomCat11 Pooh-Bah (2,062) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As mentioned, Adventure and Blue & Gray are the only breweries. Cap Ale for sure with the selection and solid food. If you grab bottles from Total Wine be sure to check dates on them.

10. TomCat11

TomCat11 Pooh-Bah (2,062) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't know the area all that well but would guess the next closest breweries are a Rusty Beaver and Center of the Universe. About 25 mins and 40 mins respectively right down 95S from FBurg

11. jjboesen

jjboesen Pooh-Bah (2,054) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

J. Brian's Tap Room is around the corner from the Marriott; they carried several local brews. Of course, Capital Ale house is the best bet.

12. makisupapolice14

Thanks guys sounds like we have some solid ideas. Now I need to finalize our stops in Baltimore on the way down and Harrisburg back home!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.