Portland Farmhouse and Wild Festival complete Beer List

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by TheNewSchool, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I was OK with the ticket prices. For $30, I got 24 tickets on Sunday, which allowed me to try pretty much everything and anything I wanted to try. The AA prices seemed high to me as well, and so I stayed away from them. On everything else, I was completely satisfied with the cost/price for a pour.

The event was a bit too sour heavy for me to want to make this an annual thing, but it was pretty hard to argue with the quality and variety of the beers available. Otherwise, I thought the festival was very well run, with very short waits for a beer. The folks pouring were also very friendly and accommodating, and the weather was pretty close to perfect.

vurt and TaborTime like this.
  2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So, this is an annual event then? Same weekend every year? May have to make an effort.

3. Malefactor

Malefactor Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2014 Oregon

Frankly had I not gotten one of the Upright bottles I would have written this off as an over priced, underwhelming event. There were a handful of beers that were good or better, but very little of what I drank would I buy again (that didn't cost a lot of tickets).

The weather was great and I was glad too see some people, but I won't be selling this event to anyone, personally.

#23 Malefactor, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. therackman

therackman Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2009 Oregon

That's interesting to hear and I didn't know that. So does the venue decide how many tickets to charge then?

5. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2008 Oregon

The venue had to buy the beer, which cost whatever the brewery decided to charge for it (or the distributor in between). Then you add in the rarity or exclusivity, as well as the pretty significant shipping cost of some of the stuff that was from out of state and not distributed here normally, which both drive the cost up. In general, Block 15's stuff, which is self-distributed, is at an amazingly generous price-point, while things like AA are much higher on the scale, and bottle-only (which costs a ton more, per ounce). Then it becomes a math equation, with some cheaper things subsidizing some other things, but I guarantee you that some of the beers that might have been considered "overpriced" were being sold at a fraction above cost. And as I stated before, things like Oakshire's Oud Bes, Crooked Stave's draft offerings (especially Progenitor Noir), Pelican's Nector Sector, and the Upright draft at 1 ticket were crazy steals, imo.

therackman likes this.
  6. therackman

therackman Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2009 Oregon

Thanks for that info. I learned alot from your post. Bravo B15, Oakshire, Crooked Stave, Pelican and Upright.

Now what did folks think of Jester King MvB? I thought it was good, but not worth the hype it's getting on the trade and SW forums.

7. Malefactor

Malefactor Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2014 Oregon

I agree with all of that, I think if we weren't in the land of cascade and de garde we would see it differently though.

8. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

MvB was really good, but probably not worth whatever crazy trade bait its garnering. I don't know. I don't trade. Too much good local beer.

9. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2008 Oregon

It was my favorite of the bunch, but Atrial Rubicite is one of my all-time favorites, I'd love to do a Imp Raz Bu side-by-side. They have the barrel-aged-sour-base-refermented-on-fruit thing down more than most do. But yes, it takes some huge beers to land them generally.

10. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Savant (1,187) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

I managed to get a 3 token pour of Carpe Diem Manana from the AleApoth brewer, so that was nice :slight_smile:

Overall, can't believe how 'quiet' the whole event was. I guess that's Portland for you, so much going on. If the same beers were in Canada it would have been a gong show.

Generally good value, not cheap, not too expensive if you balanced out the quality of beers vs avg token cost (although we took a big hit on the exchange rate). Attended the Sunday brunch and got our Upright bottle each (that was a damn tasty brunch btw). Loved being able to try JK all in one go with next to zero lineup. After 1.5 days of tasting I found things a little too sour and acidic but that comes with the territory.

Only complaint: On the Sunday, I asked for a pour of Spencer from an AleApoth volunteer pourer. She grabbed what looked like the wrong bottle and poured nothing but dregs into my glass, at which point I noticed it was the Carpe Diem bottle. So I politely told her, and she acknowledged she was wrong. BUT THEN :confused::confused::confused: she poured the dregs from my glass BACK INTO THE BOTTLE :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:. And put the bottle back into the cooler. I asked if she seriously just did that, and she didn't seem to hear me or care. I suppose I should have made more of a fuss for the sake of the poor next person to ask for that but maaaaaaaan that's gross. I rinsed my glass pretty good but still. :astonished:

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  11. John_M

That was my take as well. However, I end up posting similar observations after pretty much every big event in PDX, so I just decided not to bother this time around.

An event like this, if it was on the East Coast, the cost would have been double or triple for most of the beers poured, and there likely would have been 10 times as many people (with a lengthy line waiting to get in at 11:00). Also, I went on Saturday and Sunday, and both times was able to get free parking on N. Mississippi St., no more than a couple minute walk to the event.

That being said, I guess nothing is perfect, and so I did feel obliged to voice my agreement regarding the AA pour prices. Shame on you event organizers!!!!

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  12. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

To be fair, the Apoth beers sell for $1/oz (or more), so they weren't really "overpriced" IMO. If anything, it gave people the chance to try their offerings for essentially retail price without having to commit to a full bottle.

13. TheNewSchool

TheNewSchool Aspirant (239) Oct 6, 2011 Oregon

If you dont like the prices on Ale Apothecary beers you should complain to AA. Ale Apothecary's beers were the most expensive beers at the festival based on just their own wholesale cost, if anything the profit margin on those pours was slimmer than most. As one of the beer curators, we struggled in earlier years weather to even bring them in because we knew that to make standard mark-up they would need to go for 4 tickets or so a pour. Bottles are even more difficult to make the margins because of the dregs and low fills.

14. John_M

I know humor doesn't always translate well on the internet, but come on guys. Yes, I know AA bottle prices are high to begin with, and yes, I realize that if I have a problem with the cost of pours at the event, then I should probably complain to the brewer.

I believe I have repeatedly stated that I thought this was a well run, well priced event. Yet the one comment you choose to focus on, was my off hand, joking comment about the high cost of the AA pours. Really?

vurt, sharpski, chinochino and 2 others like this.
  15. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Who's in for this year? A bunch of us are coming down from Seattle on the Bolt Bus for Saturday. The addition of the VIP 12-3pm time slot isn't too bad for only $10 more.

16. drone

drone Savant (1,200) Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Yup, I'm definitely going. Am I missing the taplist or has it not been released/finalized yet?

17. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

No taplist yet, just a list of breweries.

What's with the bottles only being available on Sunday again this year? That's really annoying.

jpbebeau likes this.
  18. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Got me all excited for a taplist with this bump, bro. :wink:
    Third year running; preferred this over wrastling people for De Garde Anniversary tickets.

19. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

We can't stumble to other breweries after a de Garde party, either!

sjantiflow and Strangestbrewer like this.
  20. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Beer list is slowly leaking out for this coming weekend..

SARA Saison Bernice
    Jester King (Stillwater collab) Audio Palette
    Bruery Terreux Batch 1731
    Commons The Croze
    Upright Anniversary saison
    Upright "new beer"

The 3-hour early VIP entry for only $10 extra is a no brainer.

#40 distantmantra, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    sjantiflow, PNW_Whalez and sharpski like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.