Have you converted your significant other to your passion for beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 2beerdogs, Apr 2, 2015.

?

My significant other is...

1. Converted

279 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. Supportive

275 vote(s)
    42.4%
  3. Indifferent

62 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Not supportive

26 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Fed up

6 vote(s)
    0.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodchip

woodchip Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina

My significant other was already a hop-head when we met at a bottle shop for a tap takeover back in 2013. Recently went on a Beercation with her up to Vermont - fucking glorious!

cjgiant and 2beerdogs like this.
  2. donspublic

donspublic Grand Pooh-Bah (3,478) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My wife hates beer, always has and always will. She fortunately supports/accepts my wanting to try everything I can get my hands on. She is a true blue Sauvignon Blanc drinking, preferably New Zealand, due to the heavy grapefruit character. So everytime I find a hop that has that profile she will try it. The less hoppy the better. She will never convert, but she is always willing to try

2beerdogs likes this.
  3. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

The fiancé was kind of liking the sours that were at the EBF..coming from a person that has an unmatched hatred towards everything alcohol, it was pretty encouraging lol

4. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Like others, my wife cannot stand beer. Most would leave well enough alone, but not me. Convinced that she could enjoy more "flavorful" options, I have tried with absolutely no success a few tries. She enjoys coffee, so I started with a few RIS'. Old Raspy was first (bleh! tastes like beer!), then Siberian nights (bleh! tastes like beer!)...Laid off a while and came back with something with a heavy chocolate profile, but what exactly it was escapes me (bleh! tastes like beer!). Last thing I had her try was Samichlaus Classic because the profile is similar to a nice brandy or cognac or something fancy...(bleh!.........). I'd like to say I have given up, but I won't truly give up until I offer her a swig of Steigl Radler. THAT may do it, since I cannot detect anything beer-ish in it.

As for supporting my habit, she has been over the top unfathomably accepting of my various beer insanities. The cabinet/counter/shelving takeovers that represent my "cellar", the overcrowded refrigerator, the relentless collection of breweriana, and most of all, the out of the way trips to pick up beer when on vacation or whatever..... So I'd have to say that regardless of whether or not she enjoys beer, I am actually pretty lucky....

cjgiant, 2beerdogs and donspublic like this.
  5. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Trader

I turned my (now Ex) GF into a MONSTER! She was wanting me to pick up limited releases for her, hoarded and protected her beers like children and always suggested to open another. Why did I break up with her?

6. donspublic

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My life in someone elses post

gopens44 likes this.
  7. donspublic

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Perhaps she was partaking in your collection too much? Worst thing in the world is to head back to your beer fridge for something you know is there, you have been saving, and it is gone. Luckily my daughters boyfriend has mad beer knowledge and knows what can and can't be removed from my beer fridge

8. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

My SO is the same. I was about to pass on a Deal With the Devil because of the price tag and she looked at me and said if your not going to buy it I will. I think shes a keeper.

JavaNoire, 2beerdogs and LeRose like this.
  9. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

Mine absolutely loved IPA's and craft beer in general...it was our relationship that she didn't like...lol...( mutual feeling for sure ) it was fun for a while, but we parted ways as friends. Still meet up for a beer every so often...I'm happily living the bachelor life for a bit...I love it!...I can honestly say that (for now)...

frozen-1984 likes this.
  10. HopBackGorilla

HopBackGorilla Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 New York

I share my hobbies and passions with my Wife. We are not Whalez Hunters but we love to dissect and enjoy well made craft beer!

11. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,433) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

She gravitates between supportive and fed up!

12. brywhite

brywhite Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2009 California

I'm pretty fortunate. My wife doesn't care about my beer passion, she loves Belgian beers but really doesn't venture into other styles at all. She "still dislikes IPA" even after going to 7 annual DIPA festivals where she sampled more than her body could tolerate...and, she'll be back next year for the 8th festival. She takes off work once a month to help me pick up Pliny's on days it's distributed in my area. Plus she is planning some kind of round trip to visit multiple breweries in California for our summer vacation. A couple years ago for a gift, she got me all the equipment needed to start home brewing... I'd say I got pretty damn lucky.

On the flip side, she's got a shit ton of interests and money burning hobbies that I don't freak out about.

Life is good.

JavaNoire and 2beerdogs like this.
  13. Himself

Himself Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

My wife likes 90% of the beer I like now. Especially DIPAs and IALs. She's a nut for single hop IPAs as well. I haven't quite gotten her over to big stouts and Trappist ales but she's getting there.

14. kmbeer

kmbeer Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2011 New York

I have somewhat converted my husband; he was never much into BMC, but would always drink Newcastle and I don't think he's had one of those in a year or two. He is much more into bourbon and spends the time/money that I spend on beer on bourbon, but he will happily try any beer I bring home and will always try one or two different beers when we are at a beer bar or brewery. Since he has his own costly alcoholic hobby, he doesn't get angry with what I spend filling the beer fridge, and he often brags that he has a wife who is more into beer and sports than he is.

hoptheology, cjgiant and 2beerdogs like this.
  15. bigflatsbeerman

bigflatsbeerman Zealot (631) Nov 2, 2005 New York

I votted convert, but that doesn't mean she like all craft beer. She's a big fan of IPA's. She hasn't drank beer since college, but got hooked on Ithaca Flower Power and likes other IPA's as well. Does not like Belgians at all, so need to work on that. One more confirmed Riesling drinker has been semi-converted.

16. Hayden34

Hayden34 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia

Nope and I have no intention on even trying either. My "hobby" is expensive enough as it is with just one person. AND I always have a DD if need be.

JavaNoire likes this.
  17. OleGee

OleGee Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2013 New Jersey

almost total convert - she chuckled about the trading thing but watching @jrnyc trading video made her outright laugh. But, after almost 24 yrs of marriage, we're getting divorced, so I'll have to find a new partner in crime. Maybe Todd & Jason can create a BA singles forum . . . :slight_smile::wink::sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue::grinning::grimacing::rolling_eyes:

cjgiant, 2beerdogs and jrnyc like this.
  18. eagles7251

eagles7251 Zealot (658) Sep 29, 2009 New Jersey

Total convert. My fiance started out on Miller Lite. I made sure to nip that in the bud a few weeks after we met. (thanks Yards Brawler and Edmund Fitzgerald Porter). She was never a fan of IPAS/DIPAS. Funny how a trip to San Diego (Stone World Bistro and Green Flash tasting room) can change that also. Now a total convert. She runs my beer missions when I am at work (ie four pack of KBS) .

StoneBrewing likes this.
  19. T-Bird

T-Bird Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 Ohio

My wife used to drink plenty of beer 20 years ago, but about 8 years ago decided she didn't want to drink more than once every couple weeks and that is what she's been doing. When she does it's one or two Michelob Ultras (but never more and never anything else). I can't even get her to take a sip of my beers, although she likes to sniff them and then wrinkle her nose. But she is fully supportive of my hobby, checking out the new offerings at Whole Foods and even bringing back beers when she travels out of state by car a couple times a year.

20. brenty0man

brenty0man Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Texas

I finally took my wife to a "beer event" and it turns out she enjoys sours and DIPA's. Never thought I'd see the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.