Tropics

Discussion in 'Homebrew Recipes' started by psnydez86, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Tropics- Brett IPA - All Grain

66% efficiency
    6 gallons in the fermenter
    OG-1.066
    FG-1.011
    7.2% ABV
    4.4 SRM
    70 IBU rager

MALTS
    13 lbs briess brewers malt- 76%
    2lbs white wheat malt-12%
    1lb flaked oats-6%
    1lb corn sugar-6%

HOPS
    1oz Columbus 14%aa- 60 min. - 36 IBU
    1 oz Citra 13.2%aa- 8min. - 10 IBU
    1oz centennial 10%aa - 8min- 8 IBU
    1 oz mosaic 11%aa- 8 min- 9 IBU
    1oz Citra - 1minute- 1.5 IBU
    1 oz centennial- 1 minute - 1IBU
    1oz mosaic- 1 minute- 1 IBU
    Dry hop with 1 oz Citra, 1oz centennial, and 1 oz mosaic for 5-7 days.
    ***hop IBU's were all rounded for my sanity.***

Yeast- WL 644 Brett Brux Trois.
    With a vial I would recommend 2 1200 ml starter steps. (Depending on viability) Let the starter go for 7-10 days before stepping up or crashing to decant to the next step.

Mash in at 152-154 F

Unknown new house water.

Ferment in the 68-70f range.

[​IMG]

I try and keep a variation of this beer on draft at all times. Always very juicy, tropical fruits, slight dank, 0 funk and huge drinkability. The beer stays vibrantly hoppy for months although it never makes it that long. Even the BMC drinkers crush this. BB3 is my go to strain anytime I want a super tropical fruity juicy IPA type libation.

Cheers! Pat.

Lukass and alanforbeer like this.
  2. jlordi12

jlordi12 Pooh-Bah (1,844) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Looks tasty, do you typically use pelllet or leaf hops for the boil & dry hops?

3. psnydez86

Pellets. I prefer them always.

4. Adirondack47

Adirondack47 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2013 New York

Sounds like a damn good recipe. Does this yeast strain require any special temperature treatment or aging? I have only used US-05, WL001 & Wyeast 3711 thus far; I haven't dabble with anything brett to this point.

5. psnydez86

This strain works well at 68-72f but gets sluggish if you get colder than that. I haven't gone any warmer. The primary fermentation with this strain usually takes 2-3 weeks but nothing wrong with going 3-5 weeks if you forget about it.

6. Adirondack47

Adirondack47 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2013 New York

A question about the dry hopping schedule: Do you do all 3 ounces at one time around 5-7 days left or do you stagger them and do one ounce at 7, one at 6 and then one at 5?

7. psnydez86

I did them all at once but staggering isn't a bad idea. I've heard great things about staggered dry hop additions.

8. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

Tasty beer.

If you like slight funk, and juicy hops.. brew this. I will be.

Roughly 2 months in and it's got some great juicy aromatics. Slight brett funk, and mega dry.

psnydez86 likes this.
  9. leeds376

leeds376 Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2005 Pennsylvania

Did you stick the Trois on a stir plate while stepping it up? I've read that it should and shouldn't go on a stir plate.

10. psnydez86

A stir plate will help boost your cell count. There is no reason not to use a stir plate with trois. It's yeast. It just needs more time than traditional brewers yeast. I let each step go 5-7 days and like to allow it 3-5 days in the fridge between steps to allow the yeast to drop out so I can decant the spent beer off the top.

11. leeds376

What are you guys fermenting this at? I brewed this yesterday and it's sitting on the unfinished floor side of my basement, temp is 62. Wondering if that's too cold.

12. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Yes that is too cold. If your floor is cement it's a big heat sink that will lower the temperature even more.

13. leeds376

Thanks. I pitched a huge starter and it's rocking right now, I may just stick something on the floor to get it off the cement and then move it to the finished 70 degree side of the basement when it starts to slow down.

psnydez86 likes this.
  14. fAtHanD

fAtHanD Crusader (419) Mar 7, 2007 Michigan

I just wanted to pop in and say that this indeed is great recipe if you are looking for juicy, tropical IPA.

My only suggestion for those that bottle is to perhaps add fresh neutral yeast at bottling as the 644 takes for ever to carb-up. I am about to hit 4 weeks in the bottle and it is just now getting to what I would consider acceptable carbonation. Again no slam of the recipe just a consideration for those who bottle condition.

Mongrel likes this.
  15. psnydez86

Bottle conditioning this recipe is not gonna hurt either. 644 will continue to develop in the bottle. I had a 6 month old tropics before that I bottled from keg. It definitely had a slight funk but the tropical fruit was still there.
    I'm waiting for August to crack a 1 year old 750 of Tropics!

16. Lukass

Lukass Pooh-Bah (2,807) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

When do you add the 1lb corn sugar in this recipe, towards the end of fermentation? I'm looking for a good base IPA to ferment with my Brett C/Brett brux culture. This just might be the one! Sounds real tasty

17. psnydez86

I add it with 5-10 minutes left in the boil but adding it during fermentation wouldn't hurt either. Might shave a few more points off...

Lukass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.