Dick Cantwell Resigns from Elysian Brewing Company / Anheuser-Busch InBev

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by BuckeyeOne, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Kendall shares a portion of an email he received from Dick Cantwell regarding his resignation from Elysian/ABI:

“Just wanted to let you know that about half an hour ago I resigned from Anheuser Busch,” said Dick Cantwell via email this morning. “The tenor of the deal, mainly from the point of view of my former partners and me, was such that I can’t possibly work with them into a future of any duration. My concerns were never even considered as a factor of whether we should or shouldn’t. From the start it was me against everyone else, with no regrets expressed. Enough about that.”

“In the past few months AB has treated me with consideration and seriousness, and they’ve presented me some pretty exciting future possibilities, should I be able to see my way clear to working for them. But I can’t. I am a craft brewer, past, present and future, no matter what I end up doing. Naturally I’m not one to whine about the Definition, about being on the wrong side of it, etc. I helped craft the thing while I was on the BA Board, and while I have my own personal reservations about some aspects, I think it’s important to recognize some differences in realms of the market.

Related:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...seattle-based-elysian-brewing-company.251035/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/700/

2. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I'm curious what kinds of restrictions (non-compete clause, etc.) will be placed on him for a period of time?

kemoarps, Tripel_Threat and sharpski like this.
  3. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Zealot (645) Nov 10, 2013 Washington

and/or what he forfeited.

4. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

That too.

Good for Dick.

Reidrover, kemoarps and ballardbeer like this.
  5. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Tonight, coincidentally, is Dick Cantwell Appreciation Night at Latona Pub.

do_ob, kemoarps and jcos like this.
  6. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

According to the Brewbound article on the resignation, Elysian’s Dick Cantwell Resigns From A-B InBev (which includes an interesting possible brewery partnership):

7. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer Initiate (0) May 13, 2011 California

So essentially this was just a money grab for Cantwell. Can't say I blame him, strike while the iron is hot

Kfitch and Westyn like this.
  8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nope. His was the "No" vote in the sale, which he lost 2-1.

m34josh, Reidrover, kemoarps and 11 others like this.
  9. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

I don't see where you are deducing that from.

m34josh, kbuzz, pinkgrenade and 3 others like this.
  10. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

If you followed the events, he was the one lone vote against the sale to AVInbev. The article said he signed a contract for 2 years of service. He probably leaves with his money from the sale of the brewery, but if there were any incentives in the contract with ABinbev, those are gone, and he has the non-compete clause. I would call it following your own convictions and living with yourself.

11. Lamnic

Lamnic Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2012 Connecticut

Good for him. A proud brewer sticking to his moral conviction. I hate to hear about these stories.

kemoarps likes this.
  12. Evil_Emery

Evil_Emery Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2014 California

The way I read it the non-compete-clause was in the PNW, and wouldn't be valid in another region of the US?

kemoarps and chrismattlin like this.
  13. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

Actually it sounds like he did not want to sell....

kemoarps and chrismattlin like this.
  14. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2010 Texas

Cant well work for those guys...no matter what the terms.

mactrail and BuckeyeOne like this.
  15. Reneejane

Reneejane Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2004 Illinois

ooh yes. Plenty of room in Chicago or otherwise Illinois *cough* if anyone's listening.

hoppymcgee likes this.
  16. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Pooh-Bah (1,912) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Um, no. This is premature ejaculation, and he couldn't and didn't want to handle the walk of shame that came from bedding this deal. The real money shot is a couple years down the line yet.

StartedwithSAM likes this.
  17. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer Initiate (0) May 13, 2011 California

Correct I have not followed the sale of the brewery so I had no clue he was the one no vote so my bad.

I'm sure he has had made enough money in his life so why not donate the profits from the sale to charity and be washed clean of AB InBev HA

If he's as passionate about his craft then he'll find away to keep brewing the beer he loves.

18. TreeBear

TreeBear Initiate (0) May 29, 2014 Oregon

It's good to see a brewer sticking to his guns. I hope he can stick around the pnw area and keep contributing to the beer scene.

kemoarps and ballardbeer like this.
  19. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I have a feeling there is more to this story than we are hearing about (from both sides/perspectives)

2beerdogs, Scrapss and KetchumSuds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.