New Glarus upcoming beers and other info

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by CurtisLoew, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jefeld

jefeld Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2010 Illinois

Look for this release early May! Also look for another fruited wild ale (combo) for GTMW, as well as a bourbon barrel (Kriek?) fruited sour probably later in the year I think.

2. CurtisLoew

CurtisLoew Zealot (591) Jun 18, 2010 Wisconsin

I was at the event, it really cool. The movie was decent. Talking to Dan during the reception and listening to the Q&A were both really cool. The beer was pretty good. It was a double IPA that they ran through the sour beer cave, per Dan's words. Not a sour that they later dry hopped. It was 10% abv. I definitely prefer the more traditional sours they make. But it was a very well made and complex beer.

- Dan and Deb are both super approachable, really nice people. I am very happy for their success.

- confirmed milk stout coming around august.

- canning still a year or so away.

- two more sours being released this year (after sour IPA)... one he talked about mixing multiple kinds of fruit, but he would not say which fruits.

- During the reception someone asked him again about old english porter... he loved the beer...it didn't sell well... admitted he is thinking of making it again under a different name.

#2422 CurtisLoew, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    bdswan, Get_Lowell, Ristaccia and 4 others like this.
  3. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (1,071) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

@burica2020

Dontcounttoday and nickMB like this.
  4. CurtisLoew

CurtisLoew Zealot (591) Jun 18, 2010 Wisconsin

I should add, I was shocked when I heard it was 10%. I honestly would have guessed 4-5. I've never had a beer that hides the alcohol so well.

5. Al_Fresco

Al_Fresco Devotee (318) Mar 15, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

I concur. I had it as well but didn't get a chance to read the label. Zero alcohol burn.

6. nickMB

nickMB Savant (1,118) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

It's so close I can taste it. I've only piloted 10 of my own, I'm going mad, dan please help me. If anyone tried stainless style by middle brow at stout fest that was pilot #9. Needs a bit of oak and a pinch more lacto.

SeanBond, egrace84 and jRocco2021 like this.
  7. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (1,071) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

Saw a guy at the wild peach release who brought a sour stout he made to share with Dan. I over heard them talking and the guy asked him about the old English Porter Dan's answer reported here and what he said then are consistent. Basically, he loves the beer and wants to do it again but market it differently. It seems extermely likely it will happen at some point.

I would love to try this O'so did an old English porter I.E. sour porter with their night train porter that I tried at great taste. I really liked it, normally I hate dark sours, but I have faith Dan's would be similarly enjoyed by me.

8. Benish

Benish Pooh-Bah (2,422) Mar 13, 2013 Utah
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

100% agree. Very nice people.

9. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Odd. Milk stout should have been March and Hopster in August. Oh well.

10. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Initiate (0) May 17, 2013 Illinois

Is Scream still being released? Possibly headed to Milwaukee on Thursday for Bulls/Bucks. Thanks!

11. AstraXtreme

AstraXtreme Zealot (503) Mar 21, 2014 Wisconsin

I had the Wild Bitter at Crafts & Drafts and I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. It tasted like an average bretted IPA. Not very hoppy and not very sour. My guess is that it needs about 6 months to develop in the bottle.

MilwaukeeBeerMaker likes this.
  12. MilwaukeeBeerMaker

MilwaukeeBeerMaker Maven (1,498) Jun 30, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I would 100% agree with that! Aside from the TG SR-71, this was at the top of my must haves from the festival and it was a huge let down. I'll start the conspiracy theory that it's just a batch of Scream that went bad! LOL

AstraXtreme likes this.
  13. atone315

atone315 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin

Anyone at Crafts & Drafts yesterday see the guy try to snatch the bottle of Wild Bitter, then drop it and have it explode all over the floor? LOL, classy.

aubzachsyd likes this.
  14. musicman7070

musicman7070 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey

Anyone know what the releases are looking like for May? I'll be stopping in on my way to Washington the first week of May and was wondering what beers will be available then. I know the year round stuff will be available but what about other stuff?

15. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not updated yet for May, but a good place to start is on NG's own page:

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/beers/beerschedule

I believe people have mentioned Berliner Weiss as the next Thumbprint release (May?), but I could be mistaken; there's a lot of pages to go through in this thread!

musicman7070 likes this.
  16. mkez

mkez Devotee (363) May 2, 2014 Wisconsin

At the film night, Dan said it was a double IPA that he tossed into the sour fruit cave so I wouldn't doubt if it was a batch of scream that he was just messing around with. Was it good? I think so. Mind blowing? Nah. I'm glad I got to try it but I'm not sure if I would put in the same amount of effort to get bottles as I did for the peach.

17. Kbyfield

Kbyfield Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Wisconsin

Via Facebook

2015 R and D announcement!

In order to allow as many people as possible to enjoy Dan's Limited Release brews we will change things up a bit. This year we will have four release events. Each event features a different beer from the Wild Fruit Cave. The first is the Wild Bitter!

Wild Bitter will release on Thursday May 7, Friday May 8 and Saturday May 9. Two bottle per person limit. 10.00 a bottle includes tax and cash is appreciated but not necessary. Sales will begin no later than 10:00 AM.

The remaining R and D beer styles will remain our secret for now but the release dates are..
    June 11,12, 13 (Thurs, Fri, Sat)
    Aug 6, 7, 8 (Thurs, Fri, Sat)
    October 8,9,10 (Thur, Fri, Sat)

Each release will be one single R and D beer. If you want all four of the 2015 R and D beers you will need to attend all four releases. .

18. mkez

mkez Devotee (363) May 2, 2014 Wisconsin

Oh man, I just happen to have the August and October dates off of work. Horray!

19. BarrelAgedG

BarrelAgedG Pooh-Bah (2,190) Jan 31, 2014 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There goes the neighborhood!?

jRocco2021 and dkrep like this.
  20. dkrep

dkrep Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2013 Wisconsin

Yup. Good on them for announcing the first one two weeks in advance. But by the end of this run it might be a madhouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.