What beer are you drinking now? #913

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by BeerVikingSailor, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonshae_D

Moonshae_D Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2014 North Carolina

Believe it or not, this is the first time I'm trying this one:

[​IMG]

I see what the hype is about. Delicious.

TooGood, Ozzylizard, Brolo75 and 14 others like this.
  2. thebeers

thebeers Grand Pooh-Bah (5,393) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

3. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 California

I should also say drink em if you got em. Still super good, but it's definitely not getting better.

4. tappangordo

tappangordo Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2014 New York

[​IMG]

Getting started after a late meeting.

5. Pantalones

Pantalones Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Finally got around to grabbing the Devil's Backbone collaboration variety pack that's been on the shelves for a month or so around here. Had a somewhat crappy day at work (the one awful coworker isn't leaving after all, it turns out... >_<) and am a bit hungry, so I figured I'd have my first beer from the pack while I'm waiting for water to boil for late-supper.

[​IMG]
    And that first beer is their Eight Point IPA, which I see literally everywhere around here (even the tiniest of gas station stores stocks six-packs of it!) but have not yet tried before now.

Pretty good! Haven't had an IPA in a little while, but it seems like either this is fairly mild as IPAs go or I'm just getting more used to lots of hops in my beer (...maybe a little of both.) A definite piney hop smell to it, though not quite to the extent of jumping out of the glass and smacking me in the face while pouring, and the taste is also primarily pine and leafy/herbal sorts of things but with a bit of a breadiness mixed in, too (and some bitterness that hangs around a bit after swallowing, but not too much -- comes across as a nice little bitter-ish hoppy aftertaste rather than anything harsh.) Maybe a bit of some fruitiness in there as well. I am noticing that it seems a good bit lighter than other IPAs I've had in the past (Torpedo specifically seemed like a much heavier beer than this one) -- almost feels a bit thin, and I'm finding myself able to drink a good bit faster than with most others I've tried (though not quite getting to the point of feeling near-watery like some of the "session" IPAs.)

Though, an interesting side-effect of the "lightness" of the beer: I'm actually feeling like I could easily go ahead and have a second one, which is a though I've never really had with the other regular IPAs I've tried. Might just go ahead and crack open bottle 2 out of 3 from that variety pack, since my glass is empty while my plate is still half-full. XD

6. BayouBengal1537

BayouBengal1537 Pundit (843) Mar 7, 2009 Louisiana

Enjoying a Hipster Breakfast by Southern Prohibition Brewing out of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. A nice roasty oatmeal stout, great beer! Cheers!

[​IMG]

7. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2013 California

8. MLDucky

MLDucky Maven (1,320) Oct 12, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I know these get flack for the price but they're very well done. 2013 Elijah craig 12 yr.
    [​IMG]

9. timontheroad

timontheroad Maven (1,499) May 9, 2011 Colorado

Next up - Odell Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA.
    [​IMG]
    I was a little underwhelmed by this one, expected it to have a little more peach sweetness and aroma, but it just wasn't there. Not a bad beer by any means, just didn't live up to the expectations on the bottle or name.

10. C_Vitty

C_Vitty Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2015 New York

Apologies for the poor photo quality I wanted to get down to drinkin' as soon as possible :wink:
    Night Shift's most recent Morph IPA, canned on my birthday (4/7/15)
    I like it! A lot of hops and citrus in the nose but it tastes more malty and creamy than I would expect from an IPA, apparently this batch has a "more complex grain bill" than previous versions and I think that comes through.
    [​IMG]

#230 C_Vitty, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Zaphog, cbcrunch, Monkeyknife and 2 others like this.
  11. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Pooh-Bah (2,492) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's breakfast somewhere, baby![​IMG]

VABA, Zaphog, beerloserLI and 23 others like this.
  12. HoppySeb

HoppySeb Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Washington

Had this yesterday. Man, such a solid brew.

13. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

Hoping to find some Jack's Abbey when I'm in Boston this weekend!

MattXT, Monkeyknife and TBonez477 like this.
  14. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Grand Pooh-Bah (5,731) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hey, anyone else notice that the site taps out almost every night from about 10:00pm to 10:15? I get the big "Error" message after watching the spinning icon for a while. And then it's back a bit later. I dunno. Maybe its just me.

Finished my awesome FF Kabosu...
    [​IMG]
    Just like its sister ale, the Yuzu, made me wish I had another...

Fortunately, I had some Titan IPA on-hand to make it all better...
    [​IMG]
    Up past my bed-time :rolling_eyes: lol - snackin' on some taralli pugliesi and beef jerky...

Just watched the Isles lose in OT - another game where Halak gave up a bullshit goal... :angry:

Oh, well...

:wink:

15. HoppySeb

HoppySeb Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Washington

[​IMG]

Probably the last one today...
    Cheers!!

16. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,081) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Is there any wrong way to drink a Heady?! :astonished::grinning:
    Plus I see some red Solo cups back there! :wink:

PGD120 and Monkeyknife like this.
  17. Zaphog

Zaphog Grand Pooh-Bah (4,614) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Oskar Blues 1792 Ridgemont Reserve Bourbon Barrel Aged G'Knight
    [​IMG]

Oskar Blues Pinner
    [​IMG]

Clown Shoes Space Cake
    [​IMG]

Oskar Blues Hop Nobbler
    [​IMG]

Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
    [​IMG]

18. MortalKombat14

MortalKombat14 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2012 Michigan

Drinking a Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree
    Celebrating the Wings win
    [​IMG]

Zaphog, TooGood, HoppySeb and 4 others like this.
  19. superspak

superspak Grand High Pooh-Bah (10,336) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Reviews:

This was tasty. Aromas and flavors of caramel, toast, brown sugar, raisin, plum, apple, spruce, pine, herbal, and grassy hop earthiness. Good amount of pine/grassy bitterness on the finish. Good balance of malt, earthy hop, and spruce tip flavors with some yeast fruitiness that is not too pronounced. Very smooth sipping for the ABV, with some crisp/sticky hoppiness on the finish. This was supposed to be a barleywine with spruce tips; but it feels more like a general "strong ale" overall, akin to things like arrogant bastard. Reminds me of Juicy tree for obvious reasons. Really enjoyable.
    [​IMG]

Very nice hoppy Belgian Pale ale. Aromas and flavors of lemon, apricot, melon, pear, apple, pepper, cracker, bread, and herbal/floral/grassy hop and yeast earthiness. Nice earthy bitter/spicy finish. Very bright and crisp on yeast and earthy hop flavors with good complexity. Very smooth and crisp finish with some stickiness. Really delicious and drinkable.
    [​IMG]

Great coffee Foreign style stout. Aromas and flavors of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toffee, toast, dark bread, nuttiness, vanilla, light bourbon, and smoke/charred malts; with some lighter notes of herbal/floral hops. Good sized roasted coffee/charred and herbal hop bitterness on the finish. Nice all around complexity of malt and coffee flavors. Very smooth with moderate creaminess and some roasted malt stickiness as well. Really well done, a very good example of a the style with added barrel aged coffee flavors.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Zaphog, TBonez477, utopiajane and 8 others like this.
  20. aasher

aasher Grand Pooh-Bah (4,471) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

This was delicious!

[​IMG]

Zaphog, Imacopyouidiot and cbcrunch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.