Why is it that look/appearance is so fluky?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SerialTicker, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Pooh-Bah (2,815) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah

I could have a six pack and each time I pour the beer I'll get a big head, a small head, tons of lacing, no lacing... why is it that the same beer can look so different, even if it's poured the same way, and at the same temperature?

I bring this up because I'm watching a KBS review on YouTube while drinking it (yes, I'm one of those people), and it looks like a completely different beer.

2. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

Are you pours into glasses of the same consistent cleanliness? I'm not talking clean versus filthy but clean versus beer clean. Things like soap or oil residue will have a huge impact on head retention and lacing.

3. JMS1512

JMS1512 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

I came here to say exactly this.

Moose90 likes this.
  4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Glass cleanliness could be a contributor. There might be minor variations in the CO2 levels in the bottles, and maybe you're doing something a little different each time.

5. Hoos78

Hoos78 Maven (1,303) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Does temperature factor in?

6. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Did you pour the KBS right after the 4.2 magnitude earthquake? Never shake a beer

7. Moose90

Moose90 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

A clean glass can make all the difference.

8. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Pooh-Bah (2,815) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah

I use the same glass in the same dishwasher with the same soap and it's still inconsistent. Obviously not a big deal at all, just a curiosity.

9. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Pooh-Bah (1,977) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Level of intoxication contributes too.

do_ob and lambpasty like this.
  10. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Try hand washing the glass and being sure there is a thorough rinse and an air dry. (Using a towel to dry the inside of the glass can leave small particles of fiber in the glass.) IIRC not all places in the dishwasher are created equal.

11. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Grand Pooh-Bah (5,199) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The cleanliness of the glass and the pouring make a huge difference in the appearance.

12. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Each batch of beer isn't truly the same (Molecular Speaking). It could be the brew itself, with like others say clean glassware does makes a World of difference. I hand wash all my glassware moments before I drink a brew. I let them air dry and make sure there's no detergent streaks on the inside of the Glassware. When I wash my vessel I shake all the excess water from the glass before I imbibe.

13. Moose90

Moose90 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

You don't hand wash your beer glasses? Give it a try and see if it helps. Most dishwashers (in my experience), tend to leave food particles, soap residue, etc... Hand wash with HOT water and a tiny bit of soap, rinse very well, and let air dry. Works best for me.

Yes, this right here.

14. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Are you pouring beers into the same glass over and over again in sequence?

15. Beerandboards

Beerandboards Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2012 New Mexico

Contributes too what?

Greywulfken and lambpasty like this.
  16. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

Yes.

Greywulfken likes this.
  17. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Grand Pooh-Bah (5,731) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I also.

lambpasty likes this.
  18. M_C_Hampton

M_C_Hampton Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Georgia

The mere presence of residual water in a glass can reduce the head. I've seen heffewizen served in damp glasses to reduce the excessive foaming.

19. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

it contributes to overall enjoyment of life

Greywulfken likes this.
  20. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

the other stuff washed in the dishwasher contributes to glass cleanliness. Just cooked a greasy meal and had an over-packed dishwasher? There may be more residue leftover... Dishwashers aren't flawless if challenged too much. Even the good ones.

if you're a perfectionist, hand wash. If you're like me, shrug your shoulders, appreciate your pint glasses with sandblasted images (because they're dishwasher safe), pop the top, and enjoy life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.