Sculpin vs Grapefruit Sculpin

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davidstan, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 57md

57md Grand Pooh-Bah (3,009) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Both are excellent but I'll give the nod to the original.

I don't buy either too often because I can easily find alternatives that are both cheaper and more fresh.

2. Valleyview06

Valleyview06 Pundit (850) Oct 13, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Since Grapefruit has hit the east coast I have been drinking a ton of it. I had a regular sculpin the other night and forgot how good that beer is, on its own. Both IMO are excellent. To me, the difference is that grapefruit sculpin has no competition really. It is by far the best ipa. Regular sculpin just gets lost with all the others and there are much cheaper options. In the end, I'll pay the premium for grapefruit, but not regular.

3. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Grapefruit Sculpin > Sculpin > Habanero Sculpin

DrStiffington likes this.
  4. Swettenham_Shire

Swettenham_Shire Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

Regular. Not a fan of either though.

Victory at Sea is their best beer.

5. dannyhipps

dannyhipps Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 California

Unfortunately BP has messed this beer up big time just as they ruined Habanero Sculpin, imho. Both suffer from an overdose of their respective "flavors" which overpower the hops and ultimately ruin the beer. Both versions would be PERFECT if they toned down the adjuncts a bit, to where they ACCENTUATED the beer, instead of RUINING it. Jus Sayin.....

6. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Fresh GF sculpin, I just loved. But as the hops fade, I am catching this true artificial grapefruit aroma and flavor that is starting to overpower my beer. Regular sculpin always seemed really straight forward without any concerns.

I guess I'm the picky type.. If I can find fresh GF sculpin where the hop aroma and bitterness can somewhat hide the GF nature, I'd go for that every day of the week. But as it ages, I'm liking it less and less.

Habanero has this heat aspect and slight habanero taste from the get go. I'm guessing as the hops fade, the same thing happens here.

Regular Sculpin is a frickin brick, a staple. A beer not to be messed with. Consistent. It's close as the greatness of GF sculpin when it does happen is amazing, but consistency should be the answer here, and that's regular sculpin

7. krl2112

krl2112 Pooh-Bah (1,682) Nov 10, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Grapefruit is simply delicious!

8. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

They are both worth the money. Buy two of each and tonight, alternate drinking the two styles.

9. ELS

ELS Pundit (957) Apr 22, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Call your local Total Wine regularly. I just picked up a six-pack of grapefruit sculpin last Tuesday. Jai Alai is one of my favorite IPAs as well but I recently had very fresh regular sculpin while traveling in California and couldn't believe how much better it is than the bottles we get shipped to Florida sitting on shelves.

mtvolkens likes this.
  10. ELS

ELS Pundit (957) Apr 22, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I agree that regular sculpin is much better fresh and on tap. I didn't even like it in the bottles by the time it reached me in Florida and who knows how long it was on the shelf.

11. Ndfan1323

Ndfan1323 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 California

I went to a communion party last week that did not have an open bar in ny...my options were bud or miller lite in the bottle...great...it was Saturday I was with family I wanted to down a few...well I drank 5 miller lites and it cost me $25...I will never say Sculpin is expensive..

12. slander

slander Pooh-Bah (2,324) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society

Sculpin/cask mango Sculpin >>>>>>>> (a little) grapefruit (easily overwhelms) Sculpin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (some batches with more heat than others) habanero Sculpin.

StartedwithSAM likes this.
  13. alucard6679

alucard6679 Pundit (997) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I feel like Big Eye doesn't get nearly as much recognition as it should and its damn near half the price of Sculpin. That being said, I'd have to go with Grapefruit over original, gives it such a lovely dryness, and for some reason its a dollar cheaper than both original and habenero where I'm at

RockAZ likes this.
  14. RockAZ

RockAZ Pundit (983) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

Right now I have a keg of Sculpin in my fridge but I have the bottle Grapefruit Sculpin that I keep reaching for, it is just an excellent beer. Big Eye is seriously underrated imo, like Sculpin but about half the cost. Next time I will order Big Eye keg instead.
    Anyway, to answer OP's question - I like Grapefruit Sculpin better than the original, especially on hot days outside. Now, if they would just distribute the Grapefruit in cans in my area,....

15. ianous

ianous Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Connecticut

The Grapefruit is better than the flagship. Wish I could get more of it.

16. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia

Grapefruit Sculpin, to me, seems too sweet. Almost to the point where its masking all other characteristics. Maybe mine wasn't that fresh?

17. WoostaBia

WoostaBia Savant (1,146) May 24, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Regular Sculpin, the Grapefruit after a while is not as charming.

18. jkane101

jkane101 Savant (1,137) Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey

I prefer standard Sculpin and still buy it when I can find it fresh. That said once Head High is released in cans later this year I don't see me ever buying Sculpin again.

19. RockAZ

RockAZ Pundit (983) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

I think grapefruit, in general, really challenges most peoples taste buds. Tart, sweet, sour, dry - the full range of tongue tickle on top of a lot of fresh hops - no, you probably did not have a stale bottle because this is a fun assault on the senses and you got sweet out of it more than bitter like I do. And I freakin love grapefruit anyway, got a tree in my yard.

StartedwithSAM likes this.
  20. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Prefer grapefruit. I rarely buy the regular, but I'll get grapefruit when I see it. I'd probably buy more of both if the price was a little more competitive. It's hard to buy Sculpin/GF Sculpin when I can readily buy things like Dirtwolf for less money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.