Jester King / Live Oak Brewing Co. Foudreweizen

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by aschwab, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogleg

Dogleg Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

sethsticles and MLDucky like this.
  2. jamescain

jamescain Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

I think a lot of the exceptional IPA category is created out of hype. I'm not arguing with you that those brewers don't make great IPAs, but the trading forum is not really a good way to base if a beer is good or not. My argument is that using New England is just not a good comparison, for pretty much any state. Texas could be in the top 90 percentile for great IPAs but it's not 99 percentile, but that doesn't mean that we are "lacking."

Personally I think we're "lacking" in the wild ale category, only because its my favorite style and I think we should get rid of most of the other styles, but that doesn't mean that TX doesn't produce some of the best wild ales in the country. There's just not enough of them available.

3. handcrafty

handcrafty Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2013 Texas

I'm not a troll. I just think (from living in the DC area) the distribution footprint there is much stronger in the IPA department. Odell and Deschutes are nice treats out here, and Karbach, Lone Pint and others mentioned have put out a thing or two I have enjoyed, but I've found more locally produced and accessible brews there to be more enjoyable than what I've had here.

This is mine and my palates opinion. Please remember that.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  4. Dogleg

Dogleg Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Pennsylvania

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you that the Northeast has more regional IPA options, it was the asinine statement of "devoid of quality IPAs," especially when you just admitted to liking a handful of options available in Texas.

5. handcrafty

OK. Maybe the word choice was a touch bold, or asinine, in your opinion. I guess you can change it to "lacking" for your own satisfaction.

Dogleg likes this.
  6. Nightwish1094

Nightwish1094 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2010 Texas

But anyway. That Foudreweizen is really great. Finally tried it yesterday. If bottles are still available this coming Saturday ill gladly pick some up.
    [​IMG]

acbe, tx_beer_man, TomHouTX and 7 others like this.
  7. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,226) Feb 26, 2011 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

Back to Jester King beer

Detritivore, Live Oak Lichtenheiner, Foudreweizen

8. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

And Founders
    And Sixpoint
    And Lagunitas
    And Stone
    And Oskar Blues
    And Firestone Walker
    And Ballast Point
    And Green Flash (and sometimes Alpine)

Don't get me wrong, I miss the shit out of east coast beer. I'm also from the DC area, so I know the basis for comparison. I also know what the TX beer scene looked like 5 years ago. I remember shitting my pants when Stone started distributing Ruination to the state, and when 7 of the breweries listed above (plus the two you named) started distributing anything to the state. Our out-of-state distro has exploded over the last few years, and so has our local selection.

And jamescain is right, if you're judging good local beers solely by their trading value, then you're missing out on a lot of great shit. There's a lot of great IPAs in this market that can easily compete with anything coming from New England or southern California (though the latter has exceptional representation here). Our breweries may not get same recognition, but if you let go of your regional biases and allow the beer to speak for itself, then you won't be disappointed.

And yes, Foudreweizen is absolutely amazing. It truly captures the very best of both breweries.

9. handcrafty

[​IMG]
    Mighty fine indeed.

10. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Savant (1,088) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Pinthouse Pizza's Fully Adrift is as good or better than most any other DIPA I have had including the big whaley ones. A perfect example of a beer that should have the hype based on taste alone.

kmello69, mauchter and Texasfan549 like this.
  11. aschwab

aschwab Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

And this is why it is pointless to trade for marginally better IPAs (if even better...I can't really say...I bet a blind taste would have all of these so-called great NE IPAs mixed in with all of these....without clear winners).

kmello69, wiingman, morsetx and 2 others like this.
  12. boogercrack

boogercrack Initiate (0) May 24, 2012 Texas

hey everyone, this guy posted a meme on a super fuckin' serious messageboard.

that's grounds for banishment sir

TTUJohn likes this.
  13. boogercrack

it's not really fair to compare the d.c. distribution footprints to here in texas...

14. jamescain

jamescain Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

Why? Because they don't have any laws restricting what is sold in DC? :wink:

15. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

I came to get info on Foudreweizen. Looks like I'm in the wrong thread. Sorry.

16. boogercrack

Good call. We're done babysitting this thread.
    @ToddAlstrom | Founder, @BeerAdvocate | Facebook | Instagram

wiingman, Beernerds and tx_beer_man like this.
  17. aschwab

aschwab Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

I don't know what is happening here anymore.

18. Chadzero

Chadzero Devotee (363) Dec 20, 2008 Texas

Well, back on topic, I thought it was amazing. I was really surprised that the brett consumed all of the esters and phenols from that 3068 yeast. I'm curious what is going into that fouder next, and if it'll use the existing bug/yeast blend residing in there.

morsetx likes this.
  19. Cowboys9

Cowboys9 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2009 Texas

...so is there any Foudreweizen left?

TomHouTX likes this.
  20. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 Texas

I don't agree with you. I have my dad pick me up 3 Floyds releases all the time, and I definitely didn't feel bad last month when I had him get me a 2014 DL that they were selling on a weekday

kmello69 and starkmarvelo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.