Pittsburgh/Western PA Area Breweries - New Beers!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RblWthACoz, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chefduff2

chefduff2 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2008 New York

Does anyone know why John Kimmich seems to be connected to Pittsburgh? It seems as that he's been here at least twice in the past year that I know of.

2. Dogleg

Dogleg Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Pennsylvania

I think he grew up in Pittsburgh.

3. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

He and his family are from Wexford.

PSU_Mike and chefduff2 like this.
  4. chefduff2

chefduff2 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2008 New York

Thank you, I was just curious what the story was.

5. Evahflow

Evahflow Zealot (665) Aug 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

I've known he was from Pittsburgh and I always thought it was weird he hasn't brought any of his beer here but he has to Philly a few times.

6. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

Figures.

tommyguz likes this.
  7. tommyguz

tommyguz Initiate (0) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

The worst! Just like I was supposed to go to the World Series in Texas and of course it was around our first child's due date. The nerve of some women

8. tommyguz

Trader

I think he comes to learn techniques for brewing and improving IPAs from the Pittsburgh beer scene

9. penguinstout

penguinstout Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 West Virginia

so shuggy is consulting now?

Brown120, wyckyd_sceptre and sbb32 like this.
  10. jagoffyinzer

jagoffyinzer Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2010 Pennsylvania

I understand the notion that "Pittsburgh can't make IPAs" but Pittsburgh Water is absolute garbage for making IPAs. Extremely high Cl and extremely low Ca and SO4.

Stigs and Evahflow like this.
  11. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

Hey Andy, how expensive is it to tweak the water chemistry? A homebrewer I know does and his IPAs are fantastic. Is it illogical to do this on a fairly large scale? (totally non facetious question)

12. ChurchBrewCrew

ChurchBrewCrew Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2008 Pennsylvania

Hey everybody, we are tapping three Berliner Weisse beers on this coming Thursday the 18th starting at 5PM at the Church Brew Works.

We will have the base Berliner Weisse, kettle soured for 48 hours, heated just long enough to kill off any active lactobacillus and fermented with our house ale yeast. I'm going to be running samples for an exact number this week before putting it on tap, but it is a little higher than traditional strength coming in around 5% ABV.

Then we have two fruited versions. One we are calling Bazaar Berliner uses a minimally pasteurized puree (not extract!) of raspberry, lychee, and rose, a flavor combination popularized by French pastry chef Pierre Herme for his Ispahan Macarons. This one has a very nice pinkish hue and the raspberry does not dominate the other flavors.

The other one is Tropical Para-Weisse using an 'exotic' fruit puree blend featuring passion fruit, mango, and banana. Both fruited versions still showcase the tartness of the base beer. We are very happy with how they turned out, they don't finish sweet at all but still have plenty of fruit character.

We will have some sort of TBD treats from Eliza's Oven (www.elizasoven.com) incorporating the beers for anyone that comes down for a glass or mini sampler. A 10oz glass is $6.50 tax included, we are also doing a mini-flight because these three won't be on our usual sampler tray, so a 5-oz sample glass of all three Berliners is $11.00 tax included.

Thanks to anyone that stops by, I'll be there Thursday for a couple hours if you see someone hanging around with Justin on their shirt feel free to say hello.

The preceding post has been an unpaid advertisement. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

dtx00, Stigs, uvm2003 and 2 others like this.
  13. RblWthACoz

Gimme yeast, gimme sour, gimme that which I desire! OOH!

14. tommyguz

Trader

I was just channeling my inner @shuggy

I like pittsburgh beers

jagoffyinzer likes this.
  15. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Pooh-Bah (2,438) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

just moved to pittsburgh...

[​IMG]

::balls dropped::

uvm2003, sbb32 and tommyguz like this.
  16. shuggy

shuggy Pundit (794) Dec 22, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You have my condolences.

robgage, Brown120, london1o1 and 2 others like this.
  17. RblWthACoz

Welcome!

18. jagoffyinzer

jagoffyinzer Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2010 Pennsylvania

It is cheap and fairly easy to do but takes awhile to dial in. I really don't know of many local brewers who do anything more than acidify their water. I test our water on a weekly basis and treat each beer according to the style through Bru'n Water's Spreadsheet. It has had a dramatic impact so far.

19. tommyguz

Trader

You are doing it right.

Cheers

PA-Michigander likes this.
  20. tommyguz

Trader

Wait that isn't automatic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.