1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

How should we handle open trades with partial feedback?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Todd, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg4579

greg4579 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2010 Pennsylvania

Use the search function to find out why. I posted and got mixed feedback from the boards so I took it as more of me having an issue with it than the community in general. To sum it up, it wasn't worth the drama. If I thought someone was at risk for not receiving beer then I would have used it.

2. pagriley

pagriley Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

Ok cool - sorry didn't realize there was already a thread. Yeah, I would be pretty pissed - would probably post okay feedback - I mean, they paid shipping, but not much else. I see what you mean though - it is a hassle to call someone out

3. Superflyjsc

Superflyjsc Zealot (710) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I agree with the pop up option but to add to it, if user b fails to leave feedback for user a in an appropriate amount of time then their account should get temporarily locked out with a message indicating they need to complete that feedback for user a before allowing their account to be re-enabled.

jrnyc likes this.
  4. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 New York

The notification flag should also stay lit until feedback is left. I always have a couple open trades with active members that just stay open forever.

brother_rebus and VinceMig like this.
  5. Graffy

Graffy Zealot (738) Jan 10, 2014 California
    Trader

I dont think you can go with the purge option. A trader that receives negative feedback will not leave feedback waiting for the trade to "disappear". My opinion is you dont over think it and just set it up so ~60 days after the first feedback was left the other trader receives positive feedback with whatever generic message you choose. If the trader was going to leave negative feedback and cant do it with in 60 days they should not be trading

I like the pop up / notification option as well, but not sure how much work that is on the development side

brother_rebus and kscaldef like this.
  6. Narthax

Narthax Maven (1,360) Mar 23, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I've got 2 of 1800. I'm just sick of seeing them at this point (been almost a year).

7. gator79

gator79 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2008 Florida

Yep, I have one of those as well. I left feedback but the other guy did not.

8. JavaNoire

JavaNoire Savant (1,101) Dec 4, 2010 Iowa

I have two. I also had a pending trade request where the trade was completed but the request was never accepted. I finally just deleted it. (The trade originated on another site. I proposed we use the BA system so that he had some fb if he wants to trade here in the future. Apparently, he's not active enough here to care.) Unresolved fb kind of bugs me but not that much. I'd trade with them again because the trades went well & that is -imo- key.

I actually had one open on another member who only brought it up when I asked him about another matter. I thought it was a duplicate trade request, so I didn't leave fb, but when I looked into it I'd just never left fb. Naturally, I corrected it, & apologized, as soon as I realized my error.

As important as the fb system is, it's a mistake -imo- to obsess about it. EBay's fb system, while improved in recent years, is still a mess. Way too much of it is fb for fb. Retaliation, intimidation & fb bullying were rife. A culture of fear prevailed where people hesitated to pursue actual fraud claims because of the possibility that the seller would retaliate with negative fb. Savvy, but unethical sellers, were privy to methods of finagling the system to get bad fb removed. Consequently, below 99% is crappy fb in sellers with a large # of sales. Navigating that scant 1% or less, which separates good from bad sellers, is damned tricky.

Hanging fb is annoying but I don't think it's a serious problem. Newer traders need fb & should request it multiple times if necessary.

Other than those with low/no fb I just don't think it's a big deal. At worst it's mildly inconsiderate.

NickWebster87 likes this.
  9. ResIpsaLoquitur

ResIpsaLoquitur Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2010 New York
    Trader

As a main offender of being slow sometimes to leave feedback, id support suspending trading privileges of someone who hasn't left feedback after a reasonable amount of time. Some of us need a kick in the ass.

jrnyc likes this.
  10. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

11. Desp59

Desp59 Savant (1,028) Jun 23, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I really like the idea of 60 days after you post feedback there is automatic positive feedback if the other side hasn't posted anything. You shouldn't post your feedback until the trade is 100% complete. I don't see how this can cause a huge issue. I have one guy who hasn't left feedback for two months and I find it annoying enough already.

ShanePB likes this.
  12. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

I like the idea of a reminder message, independent of whatever other ultimate action happens.

(I also mostly don't think it's a big deal if a small fraction of trades never get feedback recorded.)

13. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

When a person fails to leave feedback after a set period of time (1 month, 90 days, 6 months, I dunno?) would it be possible to limit their access and/or lock their account? Of course then giving the option to reactivate after contacting a mod and settling the feedback issue. I know this wouldn't do much in the case of folks who are no longer actively using the site, but its just an idea.

Whatever the solution is, it needs to be simple and not cause a ton of extra work for the forum moderators/staff.

14. pagriley

pagriley Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

This is where I get stuck too - reading over the comments here and thinking about it, it would seem a system where there was a pop up reminder after 7 or 14 days, a lock out from further trading after 30 days, then eventually either an automatic ban, ban from trading, or some kind of automatic feedback (or combo thereof) would be ideal.

Although I cherish my ignorance of programming, I would imagine some form of staged series of reminders, then a lock, then a ban would be a PITA to actually implement.

15. SweetChicken

SweetChicken Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

The little red number that pops up on the Trading tab signifying a pending trade is reminder enough for me at the onset of a trade. Maybe continue that as a feedback reminder through trade completion. For those ignoring that and multiple PMs, make it an automatic positive feedback with no feedback detail after 30 days and suspend trading privileges for the non-feedback leaver until they leave detailed feedback.

NickWebster87 and blassor like this.
  16. ShanePB

ShanePB Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

This is my suggestion, too. I don't see how this could cause a huge issue either.

17. tikk

tikk Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2007 Canada (YT)
    Deactivated

I think it should be a 90 day window, as I've had some pre trades that go longer than 2 months. Not preferred but it has happened. I think it should be an automatic good review with generic feedback.

18. rozzom

rozzom Pooh-Bah (2,534) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Active member: Pop up that forces them to complete feedback before they can do anything else on the site, once age reaches one month. If after three months it has still not been completed, their partner gets automatic good feedback from them, and any good feedback they received gets wiped, and any neutral/bad feedback they received gets left.

Banned member/retired account: As above, just happens immediately

jrnyc and evilcatfish like this.
  19. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (1,042) Sep 18, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Tag those people in the system and have them sent an email that their account will be deleted or suspended if they don't log in and complete the trade. If they care enough about their account here they will do it. If they don't care enough about their account here they won't. So delete or suspend them at that point. And fix the half done trades in the system. I would tag the people who are over 90 days old.

20. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2012 Nebraska

Locking an account for not leaving feedback seems harsh. I agree with the automatic positive feedback after 60 days.

Immortale25 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.