The Great SN Pils Showdown: Summerfest vs. Nooner

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Redneckwine, Jun 22, 2015.

Tags:
?

What's your jam, Summerfest or Nooner?

1. Summerfest

2. Nooner

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harlan_Pepper

Harlan_Pepper Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2014 Indiana

About 2 months ago, a group of 3 of us did a blind side-by-side test. 2 of us chose Nooner (including me), and the other chose Summerfest. All 3 of us felt both beers were very close in taste.

I always keep a 12-pack of Nooner cans in the fridge. It's my go-to Lager.

2. Billet

Billet Pundit (760) Dec 17, 2013 Michigan

Nooner for me. I like the clean flavor and light bitterness.

3. Billet

Billet Pundit (760) Dec 17, 2013 Michigan

You are speaking my language... I think craft Lagers are rising in popularity right now and Sierra Nevada's timing is impeccable.

#63 Billet, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    ESHBG likes this.
  4. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Pooh-Bah (2,201) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

I'd kill to see Kölsch get in the year-round lineup. You guys are doing some great stuff with lagers right now. I'm hoping many others in the scene will follow SN's lead.

zid likes this.
  5. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I'm going with Nooner Pilsner, it has a more attractive spice, lemon zest bitterness flavor. Both are good and I would not pass up either, but Nooner is more my style.

6. dumpman

dumpman Zealot (576) Feb 6, 2010 Rhode Island

I like them both although i voted for nooner by only
    a small percentage.
    You've got to give it to the eastern europeans they know how to brew a pils.

7. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia

I have to say I really enjoyed Summerfest more *shrug*.

8. dumpman

dumpman Zealot (576) Feb 6, 2010 Rhode Island

By way of sierra nevada.

9. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

Definitely Nooner.

10. Andy311x

Andy311x Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2008 North Carolina

I couldn't agree more with this. I personally feel do not like session IPAs. I think it's trying to make an IPA something it's not, and I always end up disappointed wanting more flavor. In my opinion, if you want to drink a beer to session, choose a sessionable style beer, like a pilsner.

ecpho and dumpman like this.
  11. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I like Summerfest, but I prefer the drier, thinner, more-bitter Nooner.
    Honestly, with the depth of Sierra Nevada's portfolio, I'm surprised to have both. Not that I'm complaining. Wouldn't be too surprised if one went away eventually.

Nah. I think you're overreaching in this one point.

12. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 New York

I agree Bill - DO NOT REMOVE NOONER EVER, I will be lost, I REPEAT DO NOT REMOVE NOONER!!

Harlan_Pepper and keithmurray like this.
  13. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 New York

not having tried the Summerfest I am now at a quagmire.......I just appointed the Nooner as the official session beer of dgmirelli. I will hurriedly scamper to my Beer Monger for a six, do a taste study and review.......gut says not likley to change.....nothing like a tasty summer treat of german pilsners......i will probably drink a truckload on the 4th.....

14. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

:astonished:
    Never say never. :wink:

15. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

How so?

Nooner is 38 IBUs, same as Sierra Nevada’s hoppy pale ale. Summerfest is 28 IBUs.

Nooner, by definition of the style, is certainly cleaner (and Sierra Nevada does a great job with lagers, so it’s definitely spot on). And it’s lower in alcohol than your standard IPA. In fact, take your standard session IPA, we’ll use Founders in this example. All Day IPA is 4.7% abv and 42 IBUs, not too far off from Nooner at 5.2% abv and 38 IBUs.

Nooner is also the higher rated beer at 3.82 as opposed to Summerfest at 3.66, on a website with ratings that are naturally higher for hop forward beer. I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to say Nooner appeals to Beeradvocate’s for the very reasons I stated.

keithmurray and Kozaka like this.
  16. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

Summerfest is great, Nooner takes this one for me by a good stretch. I've lost count of how many cans I've consumed so far this spring/summer, but its approaching triple digits.

X2

Jacobier10 likes this.
  17. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

The Kolsch was my surprise favorite in the Summer mix pack.

zid likes this.
  18. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Pilsner Urquell, at 4.4% and 42 IBUs is even closer to All Day - is Pilsner Urquell also brewed to "appeal to hop heads"?

I wish SN @sierranevadabill would have their central NJ distributors (Hub City and Shore Point) "REMOVE NOONER" in 12 packs that were canned in December, 2014 and now sit gathering dust on numerous retailers' floors and replace them with fresh beer.

#78 jesskidden, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  19. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Nooner is the type of German Pils that I drank daily in Germany long before BA. Clean, dry, lingering bitterness, some hop aroma and flavor. Fresh Jever and Koenig are good examples of those. Jever used to be about, 44 IBU, last I had some it had lost some of that to my taste, probably 38ish today.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  20. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

Neither is bad but Nooner is better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.