Demented Brewery

Discussion in 'New England' started by jonheather2010, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Zealot (661) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

It wasnt that it wasnt good, it just may not be my style. Maybe Im just picky. Who knows. To me, it seemed a little too malty, which Im not a big fan of. I would absolutely try more from them though as I enjoy supporting local brewers.

2. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Grand Pooh-Bah (3,586) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

I had some the other day. Good, but not mind-blowing. I'll be interested in trying more things when their tasting room opens. I don't live too far from that town.

#22 DrStiffington, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. emandrisdad

emandrisdad Devotee (342) Sep 30, 2002 New Jersey

I was pleasantly surprised that it actually had some malt and body too it. I find so many IPA's to be nothing other than
    hoppy glasses of tea. That being said, I thought it was way, way, way, over hopped.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  4. m100

m100 Zealot (511) Feb 13, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

Did anyone go to Demented's soft opening this past weekend? Curious to hear impressions.

5. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Grand Pooh-Bah (3,586) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

I went right at 5. There were a few of us there to start, with more people coming in throughout. Very relaxed opening. They had 7 beers on tap, I think. I tried them all, some were very good. They did a cool thing with their Berliner Weiss, where you could sample it with four different sryups. It's a nice place, very cool mural on the wall. Hardcore BAs will not be blown away by their beers (to date), but I'm always willing to wait for a new brewery to dial things in. They were talking about future beers, some barrel aged, which sounded promising. It's very close to me so I'm sure I'll stop in from time to time.

malfunxion and m100 like this.
  6. m100

m100 Zealot (511) Feb 13, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

Thanks for the review... exactly what I was looking for. Wasn't too impressed with Double Dementia on tap, but definitely want to check out the brewery since its ~20mins from me. Cool to hear they have plans for barrel aging too.

7. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

I went there this Sunday. Nice little place. Solid beers.

8. schroeder1200

schroeder1200 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 New Jersey

Went there as well on Sunday. Nice taproom and they had some good beers. Nothing blew me away. Astarte, their strawberry cream ale, was my favorite.

DrStiffington likes this.
  9. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey

I went Saturday and tried every brew on draft .. the Strawberry Cream ale was the best. IPA and DIPA solid
    looking for them only to get better. Tasting room is very small but awesome art and ambiance

10. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Initiate (0) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

I live nearby and the water there is actually fine for brewing (as long as you filter it or otherwise treat it to get the chloramines out). As far as the mineral makeup of the water, it's actually pretty ideal and lends itself pretty well to adjustment for a variety of styles.

I went to Demented's soft opening 2 weeks ago and the three different beers I tried were pretty good.
    The crew there seem like a nice bunch of folks. I think they're off to a pretty good start and I hope they do well.
    I might pay another visit there this Saturday if I'm able.

11. JosephThompson

JosephThompson Zealot (584) Nov 29, 2011 New Jersey

Stopped in last night for first visit. Seven chairs at the bar. Chest high ledge opposite for standing drinkers. Could see it getting tight at certain times. Went with the Hop Showcase flight at $5 which was Litha, C-4, Sol Reaper, Double Demntia. Litha is a Citra wheat and the other three feature a solid malt backbone from light (Sol) to heavy (Dementia).

Solid brewing and what you'd expect from a new place. Also thought the location was pretty cool. Set against the Amtrak line the building looks like maybe it was a railroad depot at one time. Mural on wall opposite bar is a great touch.

I did lose a 32 ounce growler. After filling it up with Sol Reaper the woman pouring chipped the glass at its lip on the tap spigot. Compensated me with a free 64 ounce glass and fill on that Sol Reaper. Really appreciated that and the free glass would have been nice enough. But to add a gratis fill was the kind of customer service that will have me visit again quite soon.

12. dmac621

dmac621 Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2008 New Jersey

Tell me that building wouldn't be a perfect spot for the zombie apocalypse. Boarded up windows in the brewery, big heavy doors and lots and lots of beer.

13. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Another one is on it's way, Twin Elephant Brewing. Located one town away and less than 2 miles from my home in Chatham.

jmerizio likes this.
  14. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Zealot (699) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

Good stuff. Like that I'm eight minutes away. Double Demented is pretty darn good, and their pale ale is really good. Like the Berliner with all the different flavor syrups.

15. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Maven (1,409) Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

Does anyone care to elaborate on what they liked about Double Dementia? I thought it was a complete malt bomb - although the malt complexity was solid. But I got virtually no hop presence - not exactly what I'm looking for in a DIPA.

I'm starting to get very worried with the little bit that I've had from a few of these newer breweries. Because it seems like people are liking them, but I'm just not.

16. NbeerJ

NbeerJ Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2014 New Jersey

Agree on demented. What others have you been to ?

17. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Maven (1,409) Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

Most recently I visited Cypress in Edison. Nothing was terrible, but everything I had was extremely mediocre at best. I visited Brix a month or so ago and thought most of the stuff was avg-barely above avg. I'm looking forward to giving them another shot though.

I've been very impressed with Magnify though. I've been there a few times. Nothing has been all that mindblowing, but everything has been pretty good and very well made.

malfunxion, jmerizio and MachIPA like this.
  18. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey

Thought this was worth the bump

2016 Barrel Legion

We are extremely excited to announce our 2016 Barrel Legion!

We have begun a barrel aging program and will be releasing these beers in bottles throughout 2016. This "demonship" entitles you to 4 bottles, one per release, over the course of the year. It also entitles you to purchase an additional bottle of every release, while supplies last, before release to the general public.

For 2016, The Legion will be limited to 300 demons. This is to ensure that we have ample supply of some of our smaller releases. Demonships will be limited to 1 per person and 2 per household. All demons must be of legal drinking age and will be required to present proof of identification at bottle pickups.

Here are a couple releases that we already have planned for late winter / early spring.

Bourbon Barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout (Wrath)
    Brandy Barrel-aged Belgian Dark Strong (Night-mare)

We also have a vintage release slated for late summer / early fall.

Rum Barrel-aged Imperial Pumpkin Ale (2015 Samhain)

More to come...

http://www.dementedbrewing.com/shop/

Go into their shop if you are interested in being in the Legion
    Not many NJ breweries so stuff like this so I am looking forward to it for sure!
    As well as interested to see how the Demented crew attacks BA brews

SRBush1974 likes this.
  19. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey

So this comes to $25/bottle. Wonder what the regular price will be. My guess is more than that to make it worthwhile to join the Legion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.