2014 Bourbon County Brands release - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Jaycase, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Too soon?

ThirstT and jrs3994243 like this.
  2. michaelstolzman

michaelstolzman Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2014 Wisconsin

I heard this year is a reciprocity release...We are getting all the prop and you are getting a NG release...

3. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

New bottles look stupid. They put the variants on Instagram just now.

Rare- 1979 23 year Heaven Hill Barrels aged 2 years

Prop- maple, pecan and guaillo peppers

Regal Rye- blackberries, luxardo cherries, sour cherries and sea salt

Coffee- Intelligentsia Los Delirios

Reg- obv

Barleywine- obv

#1083 ColonelHopslam, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  4. wintbs379

wintbs379 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2009 Michigan

*like*

5. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Don't forget rare

6. ColonelHopslam

yeah, i kinda want to just approach november as if rare doesn't exist so I don't experience any jimmy rustling

7. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (1,060) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Sea salt in a stout? Sounds like a bad idea

8. Gameover170

Gameover170 Zealot (582) Feb 8, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

No 4 packs?! Boooo

JulianC likes this.
  9. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The fact that they're releasing Rare nationwide is...a good sign, I think? Hopefully means it's not as "rare" as the name implies.

I can't tell if I'm more or less excited that they're using peppers in the maple Prop.

TheKlevin and hustadaj like this.
  10. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

ISO all!

11. JulianC

JulianC Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois

Robdiesel21 likes this.
  12. Treebute

Treebute Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

I smell a variety pack for the holiday season.

13. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

Love the 16.9 oz bottles (perfect quantity IMO), hate the look of them however. Wish they would have posted ABV for these beers. Can't really tell from the pictures.

Edit: Nevermind, ABV's are already up on GI website with full descriptions.

#1093 Josbor11, Jul 30, 2015
  14. ColonelHopslam

im sure they are all over 11.9%

15. Josbor11

I was hoping BCBBW would sneak its way into OH if it was 12% or under. :slight_frown:

16. Lansman

Lansman Savant (1,104) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

Do you love them when they will be $10-$15 for a single bottle of regular BCBS?
    $25-$40 for a single bottle of one of the variants?
    $50 for a single bottle of 'Rare'?

Love BCBS. Love everything about it and how (good and bad) it brings folks together. Loved the 12 oz bottles, the sharing of the 22 oz bomber variants with friends and family, etc. Now we have 16.9 oz bottles that (at least for me) is too much for me to have on a random night in December, and not enough to really share well with a small-medium group of people.

17. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

See, for me that's right around the correct amount; I always find myself wanting a little more than a 12 oz. bottle, but a bomber is a little much for a single sitting (don't get me wrong; I still finish them!).

With that being said, I too am a little worried about this change. If they're not doing 4 packs it's going to be that much harder to actually get any meaningful amount of the stuff (assuming similar production quantity to this past year).

westlaunboy likes this.
  18. Josbor11

I would be shocked to see prices be that high. I feel like 16.9 oz is the perfect amount to sip on if you wanted to solo a bottle but I also could see that being too little to split in a share. I'm a big fan of Maine Beer Co, Prairie, Pliny, etc. I've always liked that size (just personal preference). Just because the bottles are 4.9 oz larger doesn't mean they should make any less of it. There won't be as many bottles quantity wise but I don't see why it wouldn't still be the same amount brewed batch wise. It will all come down to limits. I would be very surprised to see one bottle limits on what usually is a four pack. I would think 2-3 bottles. Two bottles would cut you short of your usual allotment where three would surpass it so it depends what side we end up on.

19. macewank

macewank Zealot (666) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

I don't mind the smaller bottles for the variants. It'll ultimately (well, theoretically) result in better availability for everyone because there will be more bottles.

I don't get it for regular at all though. The cost per oz is probably going to go up considerably.

Robdiesel21 likes this.
  20. Lansman

Lansman Savant (1,104) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

Hate to say it, but this is going to be the 'new normal' going forward. The jump in price from 2013 to 2014 ($21.99-$28.99) was indication enough that another increase was likely on the way...

Think of it this way. Let's break down a 2014 four pack. $28.99 for 48 oz = $0.60/oz. Let's say they keep prices the same per ounce. That means a 16.9 oz bottle of regular comes out to $10.21. If the goal is to increase profitability, the corporate entity of ABInBev can go one of two ways: 1. They can lower the cost per oz and produce more to make up for the shortfall, or 2. They can keep output close to the same and increase the price per oz (say, to make a bottle $10.99).

EDIT: A Goose Island spokeswoman said the suggested retail price for Bourbon County Stout will be $9.99, which would the approximate the same suggested price-per-ounce cost as last year. However, retailers are free to price the beer as they wish. (I paid almost double what I should have at a downtown Walgreens last year for a four-pack.) She declined to comment on the suggested cost of the other Bourbon County beers. (Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/goose-island-new-bourbon-county-stout-story.html#page=1)

#1100 Lansman, Jul 30, 2015
    Robdiesel21 and Jaycase like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.