Southern California Crew- Best bottle shops to hit- LA/OC/SD?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by BTFD, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTFD

BTFD Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2015 Arizona

Doing a small roadtrip and was wondering which locations (outside of breweries) would have the best selection of high end beers? Specifically interested in high ABV (barrel aged stuff a plus) Stouts/Porters/Barleywines/Quads/Dubbels/Belgian Strong Dark/Old Ales.....also wouldn't mind picking up a few very high end IPAs for a family member.

Thanks!

2. Curb71

Curb71 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 California

This is so vague I could name 100 places. Just use this http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/9/
    Also the BA app has a "Nearby" feature that comes in handy for when you're not familiar with the area and looking for a spot.

3. BTFD

I looked at that but was really struggling to find which stores tend to carry more of the specific styles I'm looking for (the big boozy barrel aged stuff). Was hoping someone might know of any that happen to have a good stock of those in particular.

4. Sumdeus

Sumdeus Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2014 Indiana

dcgunman and whiskey like this.
  5. BTFD

I'm not going to SoCal to find beers. I'm there anyways for other reasons and thought it would be nice to pick up some beers along my journey. To be more specific location-wise, I'm going to be flying in....staying in the Beverly Hills and Hollywood areas to start.....then driving to La Jolla/University City area....then driving up to the Anaheim Hills/Placentia Area (already planning on stopping by Bruery), then driving back to Phoenix. I don't mind deviating 20 or so minutes in either direction. Was going to stop by Ramirez's in LA for sure. Pretty much anything down the 5 from LA to San Diego is game, and the 15 from SD to Anaheim Hills. Then anything along the 91/215/60 from Anaheim Hills to the I-10 east is game as well.

6. JoshBeerNow

JoshBeerNow Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2014 California

Just go to Mr K's, its right in front of the Bruery.

/threadclosed

Nasthyone likes this.
  7. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

La Jolla - UTC (my hood) doesn't have any bottle shops of note, but between Whole Foods and Bristol Farms you should be able to find bottles of note. Otherwise, your best bets in SD are Bine & Vine, Best Damn Beer Shop, or one of the Bottlecrafts. Of course you can find a lot more places than that, but I'm keeping it short for starters.

Some people like Texas Wine & Spirits in Carlsbad (right off the 5), as well as the bottle shop attached to the Pizza Port in Carlsbad (where you should be able to find a few decent things on tap if you are so inclined).

8. HopsAholic79

HopsAholic79 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2014 California

On your way from SD to Anaheim off the 15 is El Ceritto Liquors in Corona. Great Selection!!!! I also agree with bune and vine, best damn bottle shop, and bottlecraft. Best of luck in your search!!!!

9. RLVineh

RLVineh Zealot (548) Jun 21, 2014 California
    Trader

Keg N Barrel, Texas Liquor, Holiday Wine Cellar all those are in north county san diego, awesome shops

Rick760Sd likes this.
  10. Oisin

Oisin Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2005 California

In OC, Mr. K's gets my vote -- and its walking distance from The Bruery.

11. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Maven (1,424) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

Walking distance? You could get all schmeared at the Bruery and then get your buddy to carry you to Mr. K's on his GFs back, it's that close.

FrogOut69 and JoshBeerNow like this.
  12. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 California

More than likely, the place you end up finding parking to get to the bruery tasting room is going to be a shorter distance to Mr K's anyway.

FrogOut69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.