Long Trail Space Juice

Discussion in 'New England' started by DarkDragon999, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bahnfire

bahnfire Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2011 Vermont

Other than what appears to be a very obvious attempt to create a bunch of hype/buzz around this beer, can someone explain to me why a brewery with the production capacity and distribution of Long Trail chose brew a ridiculously small batch (90 cases!?!) of this beer and make it a brewery only release? And if I am to understand correctly the next batch isn't expected until 2016? I guess I'l have to wait until 2016 to try it as I'm sure as hell not driving down to Bridgewater Corners for a beer that otherwise would be available on the shelf of all the local stores but is being intentionally limited to drive the hype machine.

skivtjerry likes this.
  2. Jbrews

Jbrews Pooh-Bah (1,800) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

If anyone around Portsmouth has some hit me up!

3. bafranksbro

bafranksbro Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2015 New Hampshire

I haven't had it myself but I've heard this beer isn't very good, probably not worth any hype.

4. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Hop contacts and trying to start a buzz would be my guess.

woodfinish likes this.
  5. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Zealot (739) Sep 25, 2010 Vermont

Don't forget Longtrail doesn't have a canning line, and its getting harder and harder to schedule the mobile units as more breweries are making use of them.

Though I agree that they are just trying to create hype.... which seems to be working.

youbrewidrink and dr_ewvetere like this.
  6. steelerguy

steelerguy Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2002 New York

I'll swing by the brewery on Friday and pick some up if they have it and report back.

Edit: I have seen that it isn't *only* brewery released, they have it in both Brewfest in Ludlow and Hops and Barley in Woodstock. So just around the brewery...

7. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (1,107) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Had a first try tonight...seemed a little more crystal/toasted malt than many NE DIPAs have gone towards. Tasted more Chimera Hardcore than Heady in the malt department. Thought it good though...but only had a taste as I was drinking a newly tapped Octoberfest.

8. jhavs

jhavs Grand Pooh-Bah (3,551) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Woodstock Hops & Barley posted on their facebook yesterday that they had it.

9. Flashy

Flashy Pooh-Bah (1,755) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

My local 7-11 had several cases last night. Will head back when I am not working and buy a four pack.

10. Trackim

Trackim Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2012 Vermont

Jolleys in Jericho received a shipment of them today.

11. Sean802

Sean802 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Vermont

Price check?

12. Trackim

Trackim Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2012 Vermont

14.99 ssrp

13. BrockettBrewing

BrockettBrewing Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Vermont

Sounds like "brewery only release" turned into "limited distribution" pretty quickly. The cynic in me assumes this means not many people bothered to schlep down to Killington for it, hence, distribution.

14. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Pooh-Bah (1,841) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

LT could buy a canning line out of pocket change, and probably will soon (surprised to hear they don't already have one). And does Otter Creek have a canning line? It's the same company now... The hype didn't work on me; passed them by in the store today. I can wait.

15. Flashy

Flashy Pooh-Bah (1,755) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Held my nose and paid $17 at 7-11. It had better be good.

telejunkie likes this.
  16. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

I believe OC still uses Iron Heart.

I just can't get excited over this beer VT till only until 2016 really kils it for me. I can't imagine it being that good to warrant such a small distro. But I could be wrong.

17. steelerguy

steelerguy Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2002 New York

A couple guesses as to why they are delaying distribution outside of VT till 2016... They are probably already operating at capacity since they just expanded into Ohio. So they are already brewing beer they know they are going to sell and people want. They also probably are not sure how the demand or reviews are going to be, might as well test it locally without moving the beer really far. If it doesn't work in a state that loves their local 16 oz. canned beer, it may not work outside that state. Perhaps they are open to the idea of tweaking the recipe according to the feedback they get, better to test on a small sample size rather than put out the "New Space Juice" to their entire market a few months after releasing. They also have their Smash project, so they are kind of spreading themselves a bit thin at the moment.

I could be totally off base, just some thoughts. They are releasing their first Smash beer tomorrow (also canned), I'm heading up tonight and my house is only 15 mins away...so I'll swing by to try that out and get some Space Juice. Mostly just to sit by the river though, I still think that is the best thing Long Trail has going for it.

OffHeGoes likes this.
  18. Jbrews

Jbrews Pooh-Bah (1,800) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

Isn't this essentially exactly how Limbo was introduced. And that's now one of my favorites and go to sixers.

OffHeGoes likes this.
  19. Davl22

Davl22 Maven (1,329) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Also Foundation Epiphany has Ella in it. Seems to be the new Cool Kid hop.

20. jamvt

jamvt Savant (1,126) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

Definitely not at capacity, and it's about hop availability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.