Going to Iceland

Discussion in 'Nordics' started by luwak, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msjpearson

msjpearson Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2015 Canada (ON)

Just returned from my trip to Iceland. I found Mikkeller and Friends to be the best spot. Microbar wasn't bad, but I thought Mikkeller had better draft list, better bottle list, and better atmosphere. Wasn't overwhelmed by any of the local Icelandic offerings unfortunately.

drtth and khoff5 like this.
  2. Westyn

Westyn Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2014 Texas

That's great! I can't wait to check out Mikkeller bar next time I go to Iceland. What local offerings did you have? Gaedingur had the best overall beers in my opinion, especially their IPA. Lava stout is great and the sheep shit smoked IPA (Fenrir Nr. 26) was actually awesome too. Everything else I agree with, nothing overwhelming, but its a growing scene, remember alcohol was illegal up until 1988-89!

3. ianskate

ianskate Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 New York

Will have to check Mikkeller bar out as well on my trip next month :sunglasses:

Edit: Any breweries worth making a trip to? I might end up making an episode of my YouTube show while in Iceland (or Brussels? - Cantillon wasn't available the days I'll be there)

#43 ianskate, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  4. pthread1981

pthread1981 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2007 Germany

Just got back from there - missed Micro this time (was there a few years ago) but hit Skuli and and Mikkeller and Friends (spent waaaaaaay too much money at Mikkeller). Friends who went to Micro raved about the selection though, apparently my friend ticked off a couple beers he's been searching for in the US but unable to find. Be sure to check out the bottle selection list everywhere you go, there's tons of great stuff. Skuli was great but we did find ourselves going back to Mikkeller more - but certainly don't skip either Micro or Skuli - they're all worth a visit. Probably our gravitation towards Mikkeller was influenced a bit by the free beers the bartender would occasionally drop by our table. :slight_smile:

For Icelandic beers, the Garún Nr. 19 was a fave amongst what we tried while there, and the brewer Borg Brugghús has a wider selection of beers available than we first supposed. Be sure to check out the state alcohol shops as we were able to find more of their beers than we did in bars (perhaps just a timing thing, who knows), including some decent IPAs. You'll also find Einstöck's beers most everywhere, so it's nice to be able to get something other than a pils when out at a restaurant. Their porter was enjoyable, the others I didn't feel particularly enthused about.

Finally, it doesn't hurt to bring a little something from home that you think might go well with the midnight sun:

[​IMG]

5. TimBurr

TimBurr Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2015

6. jesus_man

jesus_man Devotee (349) May 8, 2015 North Dakota

Oh boy, that'll make the Sea Shepherd very upset! :wink:

7. khoff5

khoff5 Zealot (527) Mar 7, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Anyone been to this place? "Bjórgarðurinn" (10 days till we get there!) http://grapevine.is/culture/food/20...-fancy-pants-beer-hub-for-serious-beer-pervs/ And the article lists all of these places "The latest addition to the beer connoisseur explosion that has entrenched Reykjavík of late, Bjórgarðurinn follows fast on the heels of places like Mikkeller & Friends, Skúli Craft Bar, Microbar, Kex and Kaldi." Guess we'll start with the ones mentioned above but try to find time for as many of them as we can. Still wishing to hear of good beer places outside of the capitol...

8. pthread1981

pthread1981 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2007 Germany

I didn't find anything of note outside Reykjavik in my travels around Iceland - I definitely would be interested as well if anyone finds anything. The big thing is the Einstöck Porter and others were available in a lot of restaurants around Iceland, which certainly was a big improvement over the first time I was in Iceland.

9. hjaul7

hjaul7 Aspirant (231) Apr 7, 2015 Iceland

I still have a few bottles of the whale testicle beer in my cellar if anyone visiting is interested. You can have them for free.

khoff5 likes this.
  10. khoff5

Trader

Yes please, we'd like to have a bottle or two to bring back for our next beer club tasting! We can try to bring something for exchange, we'll be there in a week. My email for arranging exchange is khoff5 at Yahoo.com

11. Westyn

loll, that bad?

12. hjaul7

Not really, it's actually just a brown ale with a little smoked flavour, nothing extreme (as the ingredients might suggest).

I just figured it would be interesting for foreigners to try, whereas I've already tried it and am not really longing for another bottle :slight_smile:

13. hjaul7

Let me see how much I've got left. I'll get back to you.

khoff5 likes this.
  14. hjaul7

I've got 2 bottles left. Unless somebody else wants the other one, feel free to take them both. Just so you know, the "best before" date on the bottles is August 1st, 2015 (not that it matters).

I also have an Icelandic imperial stout from Borg Brugghús, which is smoked with sheep shit (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/borg-surtur-nr-30/318231/). You can grab a bottle of that as well, if you like. It was brewed earlier this year, around march if I remember correctly, so the aggressive smoky flavor should be settling a tiny bit by now.

15. khoff5

Trader

One of each would be great, my husband and I will bring some to trade. Email me khoff5 at yahoo.com for planning meet-up

16. Westyn

I had the IPA version and thought it was really excellent. the next time i'm in Iceland I would really love to try some of the Sheep Shit smoked meats haha!

17. TomFoley

TomFoley Pundit (933) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

the sheep shit smoked salmon was incredible.

18. HartsyThaiFood

HartsyThaiFood Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2013 Illinois

Very excited to be heading to Iceland on Saturday. Mikkeller and MicroBar are definitely on our shortlist of places to check out. I saw that MicroBar had Westvleteren 12 on its bottle menu, so I'd love to try one of those finally (assuming I can't find it in Rome or Glasgow on the rest of the trip).

Either way, this thread is helpful. Very excited to check it all out.

19. khoff5

Trader

Just today we are in Akureyri, there's very good craft beer selection at Akureyri Backpackers Cafe, best since Reykjavik on our tour around the ring road... (heard Strikid recommended but it had less than half the selection)

20. khoff5

Trader

HartsyThaiFood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.