Metallica Announces Limited-Edition Budweiser Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Smakawhat, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

I'm not the most lenient when it comes to Metallica. Anything after and justice sucked all kinds of ass, even the black album. The album names even got lame right along with the music. Load? Should have been named enormous premature load. Death Magnetic? Clearly a ripoff of the badass Marvel supervillain. You had it right with the first four albums being the best(each one was flat out amazing). I'll even give them credit for 5 with garage days re-revisited when they first got Jason Newstead. Side note, Newsteads brother was my grade school gym teacher...so I got that going for me

#81 hopnado, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    lester619 likes this.
  2. hopnado

I think Canadians still go ape for Metallica because in Canada, it's still 1989

3. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I feel you. It was a completely different band after the black album came out and they went mainstream. The epic fourteen minute songs with eight minute intros wouldn't work on MTV. Death Magnetic seemed like an attempt to get back to their roots from that respect even though nothing will approach their early stuff. Load and especially reload were terrible. I still don't acknowledge St Anger ever even happened.

PS I tried to think of something clever to say about Jason Newstead's brother being your gym teacher, but I got nothin.

jakecattleco, OleGee and hopnado like this.
  4. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

This is almost as disturbing as seeing Dan Ackroyd and Jane Curtin resurrect the Coneheads for what I can only imagine is scads of cash.

5. hopnado

lol. He taught me a greater appreciation for handling all different kinds of balls? :stuck_out_tongue: You can use that one if you want

rather and lester619 like this.
  6. mungbeans

mungbeans Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Massachusetts

Not sure I'd buy this beer, but I might try and download it.

meefmoff, DarkerTheBetter and abkayak like this.
  7. TheWiltChamberlainofipas

TheWiltChamberlainofipas Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2015 Oregon

All these guys drank back in the day was bud it's in a lot of pictures so this should of happened in the mid eighties.

8. beerluvr

beerluvr Pooh-Bah (1,826) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lackluster beer...lackluster band. Perfect together.

mungbeans likes this.
  9. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 New York

thought the band quit drinking years ago, right about the time they cut their hair?

10. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's because....Maiden! Up the Irons!!!

Dear lord, I need "World Painted Hops" in my life right now!

Agree on first 3. Not to get too "inside baseball" on this, but Justice was horribly produced, bass reverb or whatever ruined the bottom end if you cranked it up at all. No matter how good the songs were (Blackened and Justice were pure fucking art) it sounded like shit coming from the tape deck, that's right - TAPE DECK in my Malibu back in the day. Caused less playing of it and more playing of Slayer who dropped South of Heaven around the same time, and it sounded MUCH better on that old Pioneer. That's when I started losing interest in Metallica. By the time the black album dropped Pantera was the new Metallica.

11. seanzig

seanzig Crusader (416) Jan 28, 2010 New Hampshire

Tastes like St. Anger sounds.

kkdowning likes this.
  12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Another effort by the AB Marketing and Sales group to sell more beer by simply creating a new package (a black can).

It is pretty sad when the only ideas coming out of AB is different packaging for the same beer.

Anybody remember this?

[​IMG]

Savan and cello like this.
  13. BoneyardBrewer

BoneyardBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2005 Michigan

you forgot lemon-lime.

14. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I pretty much agree with all that. One was simply a great fucking song though.

gopens44 likes this.
  15. VictorsValiant

VictorsValiant Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2014 Oregon

I wouldn't be surprised if the cans give the beer a weird Metallica after taste. :rolling_eyes:

16. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

the last good Metallica album was "...And Justice for All", but the only ones I listen to for fun are the Cliff Burton era.

BrewsNRecords and vurt like this.
  17. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

At least Iron Maiden's beer was an actual recipe developed with input from the band.

gopens44 and gibgink like this.
  18. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I was just thinking that Metallica finally came up with an idea they didn't steal from Gene Simmons and then this.

gilgar likes this.
  19. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. Metallica is the metal band most likely to be enjoyed by people who aren't really metal fans (barely replacing AC/DC in that regard probably) while Budweiser is easily identifiable as a representation of a beer most likely to be enjoyed by people who aren't huge beer fans. Craft being niche in comparison deserves niche metal bands.

Macro = Metallica
    Craft = Gwar, hence this: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32279/156132/

gilgar and DarkerTheBetter like this.
  20. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

I definitely agree the early albums were the best, but I just don't hate the newer ones.

charlzm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.