Darkness Day Trading/Shares Thread

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by mrpeterandthepuffers, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Pundit (813) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota

2. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (1,060) Sep 11, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Thanks for setting that up

mrpeterandthepuffers likes this.
  3. nograz

nograz Maven (1,390) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

I filled out the spreadsheet as good as I could, not sure I did it right. These new-fangled computators and the cloud really confuse me sometimes. I may also have 2 DIDDCNWQMS in me too...

Really looking to attending my 1st* Darkness Day.

*Last year doesn't count, I got in line at 6am on the day of and was shut out hard and just left in frustration/already was on thin ice for going with my wife in at the time, 2 kids under 2 (one being really fresh).

MisterMike likes this.
  4. mrpeterandthepuffers

Joke filling out the spreadsheet is Ben's thing.. Can't wait for the D-day brawl between you two for stepping on his turf.

5. nograz

Trader

I think Ben and I have an understanding, maybe... who knows. I just want to drink beer, not make war!

Kurmaraja and mothman like this.
  6. Joshkoskinen

Joshkoskinen Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2014 Illinois

This will be my first Darkness day, what time should someone get in line? How does it work. Looking forward to some good shares and great brews.

7. mingo

mingo Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2013 Arizona

pretty much anytime after 330pm the night before. if i recall correctly, they ask that no one lines up prior to that, to respect the businesses around that area.

last year the cutoff for wristbands was around 230am. we showed up at 530am, missed the wristbands, but stuck around for the last release of non-allotment bottles. originally was supposed to be 4 per person, they cut it down to 2.

here's what they posted last year prior to the event, http://surlybrewing.com/news/darkness-day-cometh/

lastly, probably best to move that type of discussion to this thread here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/darkness-day-2015.297102/page-4#post-4080938

believe the intent of this one is for trade/share discussion only.

#7 mingo, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  8. maximum12

maximum12 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,662) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I just wanted to reply to this so people don't get all crazy.

The wristbands had never run out before about 7:30AM. Two big things last year contributed to people getting "shut out" & arriving in the middle of the night: barrel-aging & a line disaster. I know people who arrived at 6:00 AM who got wristbands, so judging arrival times for cut-off from last-year is an effort in futility. That said, just show up around 7:00 PM the night before & enjoy an awesome evening.

Sorry for the derail, agree that this should be in the other thread.

9. joh02034

joh02034 Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2013 New York

"5 month fedex aged abrasive." Haha. That's great.

josephwa likes this.
  10. nograz

Trader

I am seriously will be bringing it, I will try it with any other braves soles.

Devman171 likes this.
  11. jsdavis422

jsdavis422 Zealot (627) May 15, 2012 Minnesota

I am not sure if the fed-ex aging has added anything that normal fridge "aging" wouldn't, but we have had year old abrasive before and it's still pretty damn great to be honest. I mean obviously it's not as good as fresh, but for a year old DIPA it holds up pretty well compared to some others.

JMN44 likes this.
  12. nograz

Trader

I guess I am thinking worst case scenario that it was hanging out in warm places for some of the 5 months that it was just chillin some where. That or maybe it traveled through an inter dimensional portal and was enhanced with space dust or something like that.

jsdavis422 likes this.
  13. Devman171

Devman171 Pooh-Bah (1,800) May 16, 2013 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good looking list guys, looking forward to my first darkness day!
    I bet its still OK, but I drank a two year old citra ninja and it was horrible

#13 Devman171, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    billhelm likes this.
  14. BeerGuyEsquire

BeerGuyEsquire Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2012 Minnesota

Thank you for your reply. They don't even start handing out wristbands until ~8, and NOBODY IS "IN LINE" starting at 3:30 the day before. Sheesh.

15. mrpeterandthepuffers

Umm.. yeah, people line up at 3:30 the day before the release. Not too many, but people will definitely be there. Then people will trickle in all night from there.

Ristaccia likes this.
  16. sean_mpls

sean_mpls Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Minnesota

Uh, no. There were many many cars lined up to get in line at 3:30 last year.

October 24, 2014 3:27 PM

[​IMG]

Ristaccia likes this.
  17. mrpeterandthepuffers

If anyone has any Cycle bottles I have Nooner 8, 9, 10, &+, Pallet 1, 3, 4. If anyone has any M-F, RareR Dos, Pallet 2, DCB Dos, etc. and wants to make a day of it, hit me up. Or.. if someone wants to bring a bunch of de garde I can contribute to that. I think it's always fun when tastings have themes so Cycle bottles or De Garde bottles would be fun to do.

18. jakemn91

jakemn91 Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 New Mexico

I was thinking about bringing Bu Weisse, Yer Bu, and Petit Azacca. Nothing rare really, but it might be a nice addition to a De Garde table.

mrpeterandthepuffers likes this.
  19. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

This is completely misleading. Wristbands have never been given out as early as 7:30 AM, but that's the only sense in which your statement might be considered true. I arrived last year around 3 AM and received one of the final wristbands once they were handed out 5-6 hours later. 2012 and 2013 were similar. 2011 was the exception, with cold weather, a large increase in the number of wristbands (from 900 the year before to 1500) and rumors on this site colluding to keep people away. 2010 was probably the first year that you needed to be in line before 7. The cutoff in 2009 was more like 10 AM, but that was largely because of cold and forecasted rain (which failed to materialize).

I would not arrive after 3 and outright expect to get a wristband. On the other hand, brewing capacity is way up, so maybe there will be a lot more wristbands.

20. mothman

mothman Grand Pooh-Bah (5,802) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I only have Friday, but I'd be game. I can bring some de garde to make up for it if that will make you happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.