Green Flash Distributing Alpine Bottles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,727) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

dam hells yeah... friggin knock out all those other perceptory distracting senses I say ! :sunglasses:

2beerdogs and JackHorzempa like this.
  2. montman

montman Maven (1,290) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I was pretty let down by the GF version of Duet, it has been over the place here the last few weeks and I'm not buying another for awhile.

3. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Pooh-Bah (2,028) Dec 30, 2014 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I made the mistake of buying 2 just now. It's not as bad as green flash beer, but it's not good. Too much malt sweetness, some bitterness, but none of the nuanced flavors of simcoe and amarillo. I feel especially let down :slight_frown:

#203 algebeeric_topology, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  4. pjeagles

pjeagles Zealot (576) May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Trader

Ordered a GF Nelson at Falling Rock during GABF, looked like the GF Duet. May have been, for all I know. Not good, that was for sure. So bad, I later warned off BA Mhenson42 when he ordered one at the outside beer truck. But he wisely disregarded my advice, and his Nelson had that familiar yellow tinted haziness. Tasted more Nelson-y as well. I mentioned this to Chris Black of Falling Rock and he said that the other keg on tap inside was an earlier batch and wasn't good, which begged the question of why was it still on tap, but I didn't ask. I just felt bad for anyone who was excited to try Nelson for the first time and got whatever malty mess was disguised as Nelson.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

The other question it begs is that after a 2 year relationship between Green Flash and Alpine why can't Green Flash consistently replicate Alpine beer?

Cheers!

6. neckbeardahab

neckbeardahab Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 New York

was this on draft?

7. Betolito

Betolito Initiate (0) May 20, 2012 Nevada

The one I purchased here in Nevada, had the branded GF logo etched into the bottle...sort of have too look twice to see it. The non GF Alpine bottles I use to get in San Diego, also seem lighter in hue from what I recall..it's been a while. I will say, it tasted pretty good. Preferred on tap, when I could get it!

8. IpaBeerDrinkers

IpaBeerDrinkers Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2014 California

Had the Nelson tonight. I have had original alpine on a few occasions. Here are my thoughts; to be taken with a grain of salt...

Probably not as refined and crisp as Alpine. Beyond that....it was a damn good beer and I got a ton of Nelson coming thru, which was my main concern. Will I drink more? Absolutely. Was it as good as Alpine? No. Do I care? Not really, as Alpine bottles have been too hard to come by.

9. woemad

woemad Grand Pooh-Bah (5,145) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Where are you finding Alpine beers in Spokane? I most frequently hit Huckleberry's, and I haven't seen any there, or on the occasional drive out to one of the TWs. Maybe my timing just sucks.

10. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

I had Duet and Hoppy Birthday bottles this weekend in NYC. I got them as fresh as possible, the day they arrived at the store and they were both terrible, drain poured them both out.

Only time I will ever try Alpine again is from the source in San Diego.

11. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

GF Alpine is really good but I still like the original better, haven't had the other GF Alpine beers yet.

12. Brent212

Brent212 Pundit (890) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Pretty sure I've been served Duet (which I don't like) from a place claiming it was Nelson before. I think it was before the GF business.... although I guess it was less than 18 months ago... could have been an early version of GF Nelson?

13. vfgccp

vfgccp Grand Pooh-Bah (3,606) Oct 28, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I got Hoppy Birthday and Duet in Queens, New York last week. The Hoppy Birthday is tasting real nice.

14. jwc215

jwc215 Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2005 Arizona

Too funny of a coincidence - Juist put my review in for Duet...I noticed the Green Flash name on the neck. Just called my fellow BA friend John in Colorado - "Wasatch" about that. Duet is awesome - I have another beer from them - Hoppy Birthday in the fridge. I'm glad they made it out to Wisconsin!

15. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Pundit (890) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

I've been getting them on tap at random places. But the Rosaures on University had Duet and Hoppy Birthday last night in bottle. Didn't buy any though.

woemad likes this.
  16. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

You would have to almost have the exact same system in the exact same condition, use the exact same malt, hops, yeast cake/starter, condition the water to the EXACT same chemistry. If any one of those are off, discerning beer nerds (like us:slight_smile:) will pick out the difference!

The yeast strain, temperature, and water chemistry are doable, its the difference in system size, age, and efficiency that really make the difference.

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I fully understand your statements here but I disagree that you need the "exact same system". Smart brewers should be capable of utilizing there existing system (with some 'tweaks' if required) to brew very, very similar beers. For example, Firestone Walker brewed a number of Russian River beers at their brewery when Russian River performed an 'update' at their brewery. I have not seen or heard a single comment from beer drinkers that the Firestone Walker brewed Russian River beers were 'off'.

The bottom line is that if Green Flash wants to responsibly produce beers with the Alpine label they should take the necessary steps to produce these beers properly. I can see the first batch that was initially brewed 2 years ago maybe being a little off but for this crap to be happening 2 years later is just unacceptable IMO.

Cheers!

18. woemad

woemad Grand Pooh-Bah (5,145) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks. Weird how much the local Rosauers can vary from one another.

19. brentusaurus

brentusaurus Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 California

GF/Alpine Nelson is pretty good imo, but I haven't had real Nelson, so meh. The last time I had real Alpine was Pure Hoppiness a few years ago and I still think about how good it was sometimes.

2beerdogs likes this.
  20. IpaBeerDrinkers

IpaBeerDrinkers Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2014 California

I heard that 6pks of Pure Happiness will get distributed next month.

Drank another Nelson last night, still thought it was good and enjoyed it

2beerdogs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.