Best IPA from Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Tphelan9, Oct 21, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeboThoughts

BeboThoughts Zealot (559) Mar 24, 2012 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Agree with Moralite and first batch of Thrust!

2. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

For what it's worth, I ask Gary directly tonight and according to him they have not changed the recipe. Anyway, I still have huge respect for this one and it managed to win best North American Style IPA in BC the evening. Anyway, not trying to convince you to like it, feel free to have you own opinion, just trying to ensure things are as factual as can be.

3. GSS

GSS Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2015 China

In all the posts I don't think I saw a mention of Garrison Imperial IPA. It hurts my Haligonian born heart! I always loved this one when I still lived in Canada.

4. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,986) Feb 26, 2006 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Looks like all of my top picks have already been mentioned:
    - Great Lakes Thrust! is my favourite GLB IPA, but Lake Effect and Karma Citra are both great too.
    - DDC Moralite
    - Red Racer IPA, NB's Headstock and FM's Smashbomb are my favourite "every day" IPAs.

That's still a good one. Possibly the best IPA out of Atlantic Canada I've tried to date (not that I've had all that many).

5. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2014 Canada (QC)

Say what? Which SAQs have Red Racer? I need to visit them!

souvenirs and TheDoctor like this.
  6. Tmappin

Tmappin Pundit (905) Sep 25, 2008 Canada (NS)
    Trader

Nova Scotia - Bad Apple's Box Cutter is consistently amazing, compares to Bissell Bros/Maine. Maybe the best IPA in Canada. No one here will believe me and I am fine with that. Unfiltered brewing makes a fantastic IPA, also they make a range of killer DIPAs.

Quebec - Le Castor's Yakima is usually great. DdC's Moralite is great on tap and holds up really well in the bottle. Pit Caribou's Brett IPA gets a mention because it was just so weird, but also good, but mostly weird.

Ontario - GLB Thrust! is so good. Bellwoods can make a hoppy beer pretty well as well.

Saskatchewan - Rebellion makes a real solid IPA. I wish they bottled.

BC - Yellowdog Play Dead, on tap. Cans are iffy.

7. Tmappin

Tmappin Pundit (905) Sep 25, 2008 Canada (NS)
    Trader

Should you ever return to Halifax you will be happy to hear Nova Scotia has stepped its game up. Bad apple and Unfiltered are making hoppy beers that rival anything in the rest of Canada.

GSS likes this.
  8. ZorPrime

ZorPrime Initiate (0) May 17, 2008 Canada (QC)

In Québec City, I get it from SAQ Depot on Einstein.

They also have the ISA. Its pretty decent, but Red Racer is best. Not cheap, around 15$ for a 4-pack.

Cheers!

TheDoctor likes this.
  9. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2014 Canada (QC)

Thanks for the info. I did a search in Montreal and it looks like they have it at the Marché Central SAQ, though I don't make it out there very often. But next time I need something at MEC, I'll pick up a few cans!

TheDoctor likes this.
  10. sdm9465

sdm9465 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Canada (NS)

I used to love this, but I've been pretty disappointed the last few times I've had it. Unfortunately they aren't dated so it's impossible to know if they're fresh. I had one Saturday night that I bought on Friday direct from Garrison and it was nowhere near a top 10 Canadian IPA.

11. sdm9465

sdm9465 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Canada (NS)

Box Cutter is great as are just about all of the beers I've had from Unfiltered.

Some others I'd consider candidates for the best Canadian IPA are Red Racer, Moralite, Fat Tug and Thrust! Red Racer is my pick when availability is factored in.

12. tiltedwindmill

tiltedwindmill Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2015 Canada (ON)

I'd second Witchshark by Bellwoods and nominate Boneshaker by Amsterdam. [​IMG]

13. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Grand Pooh-Bah (3,422) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I learn something every day...
    I am sure it is pretty hard to come by at random SAQ succursales, and probably harder still to come by fresh, but I am glad to know that it is "available" here.

14. ZorPrime

ZorPrime Initiate (0) May 17, 2008 Canada (QC)

I just looked at my cans, and its says production date July 21 2015. Not top fresh, but ain't so bad.

Cheers.

TheDoctor likes this.
  15. TheDoctor

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That succursale has a couple of beers that I have not seen at any other SAQs on the island (although I don't check every one I come across). They must be really care about having good beer there. They've got Maredsous Tripel, a couple from L'Alchemiste and Red Racer. Wow. Really makes one reflect on how much the SAQ sucks...:angry::flushed::slight_frown:

16. TheDoctor

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Really!? Color me intrigued in that case. That's not ideal, but you'll see more outdated IPAs from QC in some stores... Thanks a ton for the confirmation!

17. BeboThoughts

BeboThoughts Zealot (559) Mar 24, 2012 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Boneshaker is one of the most inconsistent beers I've ever had. Ranging from solid IPA to malty mess to gross dishwater. Too risky to buy with all of the other offerings around. Nicklebrook has been taking a turn towards inconsistency lately but hopefully it's just growing pains from the new brewery. When headstock and naughty neighbor are "on" they're great.

18. Cycle69

Cycle69 Savant (1,235) Dec 23, 2013 Canada (ON)

Lots of great ones mentioned (Yakima, Thrust and Moralite) but NB's Immodest fresh on tap gets my vote.

19. EspressoGuy

EspressoGuy Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2011 Canada (BC)

If we're allowed to branch slightly away from pure IPA then I'd heartily vote for Juxtapose Wild IPA (with brett) from Four Winds Brewing (Delta, BC).

westcoastbeergeek and Moose90 like this.
  20. tiltedwindmill

tiltedwindmill Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2015 Canada (ON)

I guess I'm lucky I've never had had the malty mess or dishwater editions. Amsterdam Fracture is now available at the LCBO as well. I think it's Amsterdam's answer to Twice as Mad Tom for the Ontario market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.