One person's shelf turd is another person's treasure

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Sir_Whats-his-face, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLVineh

RLVineh Zealot (548) Jun 21, 2014 California
    Trader

OP how about you send some of those shelf turds my way, for some of my shelf turds haha

2. montman

montman Maven (1,410) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Must be nice, I had to trade for Parabola because I'm not willing to take off work during the week to stalk the stores that get it in.

3. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (1,135) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen? We can't even get that stuff ON shelves any more.

s_wit, russpowell and tylerstravis like this.
  4. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I buy beers that sit all the time. The IPAs ill pass on but ive bought a lot of bombers for cheaper that have just sat there for a while and they ended up being great beers.

And some sougjt after beers that sit i saw just a few days ago:

Stone Thunderstruck, vertical, elderberries, lofi hifi

Sofie, matilda

Hop stoopid

Several Lost Abbey, judgement day, advante garde, witchs wit, ten commandments

Probly a ton more sit. Get a price drop and boom. Im there

5. RLVineh

RLVineh Zealot (548) Jun 21, 2014 California
    Trader

Agreed especially on those Lost Abbey 375s. 15-19 is too much!

Urk1127 likes this.
  6. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

I'll take it! :slight_smile:

7. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Isn't shelf turd the ironic term for any beer that isn't brewery only?

8. mackeyse

mackeyse Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2012 New York

Bomb! and anything Prairie due to the hiked up price and maybe the novelty wore off here in NY?
    Crooked Stave--not sure it's truly "sought after" but it's highly rated and no one seems to touch it either due to price or unfamiliarity.
    BCBS come November--used to be on shelf through March of following year. Now maybe 1-2 months max, but still can be found pretty easily.

Also find a ton of Central Water's BA stuff which I find oddly is ignored --maybe it isn't "sought after" but it should be. Their labeling isn't really attractive so i dont think it gets the attention it deserves. Their Scotch Ale is on par with Backwoods in my opinion so I think that's a sin that no one touches it but I'll take advantage.

foundersfan1 and VinHalen54 like this.
  9. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 Florida

Obviously I didn't mean the rare, sought after stuff. Beers like Chimay or Gouden Carolus sit on shelves until they're caked with dust in most shops I've been in.

westcoastbeergeek likes this.
  10. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

Yes, that happens here a lot too

11. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Not sure why those guys set up that elaborate heist for a bunch of it then.

12. Dan_K

Dan_K Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I JUST posted about this yesterday when someone was talking about bringing shelf beers to bottle shares. There are some amazing Belgians collecting dust on the shelf right now at 50 places around the city. There is nothing wrong with the belgian beer.

Some really great beers sit on the shelves here too. Epic's Big Bad Baptist, Crooked Stave, Trinity, Odell special release bombers, Avery barrel aged special release (most of their beers stick around for a long time).

13. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Pooh-Bah (1,705) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Probably because it sucks.

14. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 Florida

Thing is, it's almost all world class stuff, it's just so overlooked and taken for granted.

15. Littlelotte88

Littlelotte88 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 Connecticut

CT doesn't get any firestone walker, when i was one state over I saw stickee monkey on the shelf and was SO excited to purchase one and not have to trade for one, the lady at the register thought it was so weird.

cosmicdebris and tarawho like this.
  16. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

No kidding, I love to pick those up from time to time and I'm rarely dissapointed. Thankfully they age well in most cases.

17. gcg49

gcg49 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2014 Texas

3 Floyds used to be fairly hard to come by in Chicago; you could find it but the selection was always limited and picked over. Lately it seems like allocation has increased and lots of Alpha King/Yum Yum/Assorted bombers hang around for a while at every store that carries beer. I'm sure other areas would be happy to have those bottles.

juke_cleveland and laketang like this.
  18. johnyb

johnyb Pooh-Bah (2,272) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The Goose Island ladies ( Sofie, Matilda, et al) and a lot of Bruery stuff turd it up pretty good on shelves here in FL.

19. chrisjws

chrisjws Pooh-Bah (2,768) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Around here shelf turd seems to mean any beer you can get with even the slightest bit of ease. If you aren't truck chasing, calling ahead on release day or getting it at the brewery, it's a goddamn shelf turd.

Bob402, Professor_Yeesh and jcos like this.
  20. Mojo

Mojo Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2012 Alabama
    Trader

I don't think it qualifies as a shelf turd per se because it turns over fairly quickly, but Jai Lai is always in abundant supply here. Because I can always get it, I tend not to buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.