Fermentation start doesn't look good.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by CADETS3, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CADETS3

CADETS3 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Texas

Alright, so i brewed my imperial blonde and OG was 1.086. I cooled the wort down to about 80 F and began to rack to my 2 six gallon carboys. I placed the carboys with the wort in the deep freeze and let it cool further for about 2-3 more hours. I have the 10 gallons split up among the 2 carboys. One has about 4 gallons or so of wort, the other, more. I re hydrated 2 packs of US-05 following these instructions:

I followed these instructions to the T and my fermentation is really not doing anything. The vessel with the most wort, still haves a lot of the foam from when i aerated the hell out of it. The other, doesn't seem to has near as much of that foam. When i distributed the re hydrated yeast among the 2 carboys, I had about 300 mL and i made sure to add pretty close to 50/50 of that 300mL to each carboy. I pitched the yeast slurry at around 10:30 pm November 1st. Deep freezer is set to 66 F.

I will note that i added 1.0 teaspoon per gallon of yeast nutrient to the beer, along with 1 teaspoon of irish moss, for whatever that's worth. The vessel with the least amount of wort seems to have no activity what so ever and the other has little activity. I do not see any yeast churning up inside the vessels at all.

What do you guys recommend i do? what another day and see if fermentation starts? If not, pitch 1 packet of yeast to each vessel?

2. jkn09

jkn09 Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

It's been under 48 hours. I'd wait it out until tomorrow at least. Pitching additional yeast won't hurt you, but it may not be necessary.

3. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

You added 1tsp/gal of yeast nutrient? 10tsp?

1/2tsp/5gal is normal.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

What kind of yeast nutrient did you use?

5. CADETS3

BSG Fermax yeast nutrient. I figured fermentation would have been going crazy by now, since i took well care of the yeast!

6. VikeMan

Pooh-Bah Society

Ah. I haven't used that brand, but 1 tsp per gallon seem right. I was wondering if nutrients had reached toxic levels, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

The good news is that one of your carboys is showing some activity, so I'd recommend patience for another day or so before thinking of re-pitching. Do you know the temperature of the wort (not the temperature your freezer is set to)?

7. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

A 3rd or even 4th packet of yeast for a beer of that size probably would have been a bit more ideal, but I bet everything will start looking normal here shortly.

inchrisin likes this.
  8. CADETS3

No i do not, i guess i could sanitize the probe and insert it into the beer, but is that necessary? But I think I understand why you asked that, maybe the wort is too cool from me trying to bring it down to temp. I will say that the carboy is sweating so i'm sure the wort was maybe colder than what it needed to be for a while.

9. VikeMan

Pooh-Bah Society

Exactly. Also, temperature swings in a freezer may not affect the wort temp the way you might guess. It's the average temp of the freezer compartment that will influence the wort temp (assuming the fermenter isn't in direct contact with a cold freezer wall/floor (where the cooling elements may be).

10. scottakelly

scottakelly Initiate (0) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Sounds like you might have underpitched a bit but if I were you I would be patient another day or two.

11. A2HB

A2HB Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2013 Michigan

Two packets of 04/05 yeast is not underpitching on a 1.086 brew. At least not by an appreciable number to where it would stall or even not ferment the wort. It sounds like the temps are the culprit here, or even it just has some lag time to it, which is not uncommon if using 05

12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

It is for a 10 gallon batch.

Cheers!

DunkelFester likes this.
  13. CADETS3

The carboy that had some action is doing a little bit better. The other, not so much of anything. What if i purchased another pack of 05 and re hydrated it and added most of it to the carboy that isn't going? Or should i even bother hydrating?

14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I think that I'd crank up the thermostat a couple of degrees to see if goosing those yeasties will make them think they're in southern Texas.

15. CADETS3

As of now, they are both fermenting. One carboy has a large amount of headspace and the airlock isn't moving at all. However, I did shine a light to the side of the carboy and confirmed that it is fermenting since the yeast are dancing and doing their thing. I am going to purchase 2 more packets of us-05 tomorrow. Would y'all advice against adding more yeast? Dry or hydrated? I will be adding almost 3 pounds of raw honey at high krausen or in this case, maybe sooner.

16. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

I'll vouch for that. The times I've been too lazy to get my cell count up, or I used really old yeast, fermentations start late and are generally underwhelming.

17. CADETS3

Good news, upon review this morning, both carboys are fermenting nicely. I'm thinking of adding 1 dry pack to each carboy later today. Beer Smith suggests that FG will be around 1.021. I think it'd be good to add the yeast to try and achieve this.

18. VikeMan

Pooh-Bah Society

At this point, that sounds like a solution looking for a problem. Personally, I'd be inclined to let it ride.

SFACRKnight and CurtFromHershey like this.
  19. CADETS3

@VikeMan
    Due to the risk of over-pitching now?

20. VikeMan

Pooh-Bah Society

No. I just don't recommend adding more yeast to a fermentation that is proceeding nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.