Pabst's Newest Craft Beer Revival: Limited Release of Ballantine Burton Ale for the Holidays

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Founder (0) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

Los Angeles, CA (November, 16, 2015)Pabst Brewing Company, the world’s largest American-owned brewer, announced today its revival of the legendary Ballantine Burton Ale in limited quantities this holiday season. The seasonal brew will be produced under the guidance of Greg Deuhs, Pabst’s Master Brewer, in Cold Spring, Minnesota at Cold Spring Brewing Company. Ballantine Burton Ale will be available from early November through December 2015 in major Northeastern markets including New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Rhode Island, Vermont, Connecticut, and Maryland.

First brewed by P. Ballantine & Sons Brewing Company in Newark, NJ immediately after the repeal of Prohibition in the 1930s, and often aged for up to 20 years in American oak barrels, Ballantine Burton Ale has achieved an almost mythical status over the years. It was designated a “Special Brew” on its label and given as a gift to important friends of the brewery, including President Harry Truman. The beer was never publicly sold by the brewery and some craft beer aficionados have gone so far as to deem it the “holy grail” in American brewing history.

“We’re excited to share the reincarnation of this rare brew that, like the original, is sweet and strong, yet balanced by a robust hop character that exemplifies the Ballantine name,” said Greg Deuhs, Master Brewer at Pabst. “To help replicate the original flavor, we age every batch of Burton Ale for several months in barrels lined with American oak. The slight oak essence, with notes of toasted vanilla, will make it the perfect holiday treat.”

“The release of Ballantine Burton Ale reinforces our commitment to reviving authentic craft beer brands with storied histories,” said Eugene Kashper, Chairman and CEO of Pabst. “It’s really exciting to be able to bring this iconic brew to the public for the first time ever.” Previous revivals include last year’s Ballantine IPA, which is brewed based on the traditional recipe, originating in 1878.

Ballantine Burton Ale has 11.3% ABV, 75 IBUs, and a starting gravity of 26.5 Plato. The brew will be available in 6-pack bottles and draft.

For more information on Ballantine Burton Ale, please visit www.ballantinebeer.com.

About Pabst Brewing Company
    Since 1844, Pabst Brewing Company has been American-owned and operated, and is North America's largest privately held brewing company. Pabst's portfolio includes iconic brands with deep ties to America's heritage, such as its flagship Pabst Blue Ribbon and others such as Ballantine IPA, Lone Star, Rainier, Schlitz, Old Style, National Bohemian, Stag, Stroh's, and Old Milwaukee. In 2015, Pabst won the Great American Beer Festival's award for Large Brewing Company of the Year and Pabst's Master Brewer Greg Deuhs won the title of Large Brewing Company Brewer of the Year. For more information about Pabst, please visit www.pabstbrewingco.com.

About P. Ballantine & Sons Brewing Company
    P. Ballantine and Sons Brewing Company first brewed Ballantine India Pale Ale in Newark, NJ in 1878. Ballantine IPA was the only American-made beer that successfully continued the tradition of the 19th century IPAs after the repeal of Prohibition. This was due in large part to Peter Ballantine’s steadfast commitment to “Purity, Body, and Flavor” – as exemplified by the three interlocking Borromean rings found on every bottle. Today, some of P. Ballantine and Sons’ most cherished craft brews are being introduced to modern consumers for the first time. Brews are based on the original 19th century recipes and exemplify the values espoused by Peter Ballantine centuries ago.

2. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can I get an Amen?!! Hot damn, I will be getting this as soon as I see it!

3. GameOfBeers

GameOfBeers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

I am hoping to find this.

4. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2015 Louisiana

holy crap! a macro i can get behind!

davecharlie0 likes this.
  5. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

A six pack of 11.3% ale! This is how it should be done. I wonder about price and availability...

6. cello

cello Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2013 Pennsylvania

I down. just hope I can find some!

7. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

I hope it's better than their reincarnation of Ballentine IPA. Holy crap that stuff was awful.

8. ryanhooks81

ryanhooks81 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Georgia

the ipa was terrible. pbr is terrible. but i like lone star and old Milwaukee. ill check it out

9. matcris

matcris Pooh-Bah (2,071) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'd give it a try. I recently saw a pretty enthusiastic (video) review on their IPA, not on this thread so far, obviously.:grimacing:

10. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Grand Pooh-Bah (5,512) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I though the IPA was really tasty, and unique among the current IPA scene, so I'll be happy to pick this one up if I see it.

11. Caveworm

Caveworm Maven (1,263) Feb 26, 2014 Ohio

Talk about a blast from the past. I'm game once it reaches my area.

creepinjeeper and davecharlie0 like this.
  12. davecharlie0

davecharlie0 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2015 California

The IPA is great and the overall response from the beer community has been very favorable, the people who don't like it are in the minority.

13. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Damn straight!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  14. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,553) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Personally I thought the IPA was decent- and a throwback to the old recipe as I believe it was aged on at least oak staves.
    Been looking forward to trying this new one since I saw ad in the BA mag.
    Bottoms up!

ericwo and creepinjeeper like this.
  15. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

The history behind it is all new to me but this sounds pretty cool, I'll give it a shot if/when I see it around.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  16. tillmac62

tillmac62 Pooh-Bah (2,835) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

If it came down here to the Carolinas, I would buy it. But since it won't, you guys up north review it so us guys in beer wasteland can at least read how good it is.

17. gory4d

gory4d Maven (1,415) Apr 14, 2007 Texas

The original is far and away one of the best beers I've had. It sounds here as though, as with the IPA, they aren't working from the old recipe - so "recreation" would be more accurate than "reincarnation." But I'd still try it, to compare to the original. (I have an old Newark-brewed IPA in the fridge for the same purpose.)

18. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Please share your experiences with all of the above when the time comes.

gory4d likes this.
  19. dcall384

dcall384 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

Does any one know where Ballantine distributes? Would like to try the IPA.

20. davecharlie0

davecharlie0 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2015 California

Mainly in the North East, but a friend of mine found it as far down as Georgia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.