Brace yourselves: Bock Season is coming!

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Chaz, Nov 30, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaz

Chaz Grand Pooh-Bah (3,544) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

In light of the bounteous snow this morning, I thought I'd start this out by saying that Bock season is my favorite time of the year, and it can't get here soon enough.

Back in the day when the Brewhouse was young, I'd hit the Fitger's complex and Lake Superior Brewing for their Bockfest and a tour. And then there was the big event down at August Schell (back when it was only about 1,000 people) and even the 'blessing of the bock' at the Serb Hall in Milwaukee... it was a beery, cold month, and spring was somewhere a little ways off.

Naturally, I've stumbled upon a few good bocks over the years:

- August Schell Bock: A classic example, and among one of the best and most consistent I've had.
    - Summit Maibock: A very good pale bock, often very bready and supple.
    - Boulevard 'Boss Tom's Golden Bock': Flavorful, easily-drinkable, and rare in these parts.
    - Lakefront 'Big Easy Imperial Maibock': Toned down in recent years, this one puts fire in your belly. :slight_smile:

A nod to the classics of the past:

- Leinenkugel's Bock: In returnable bottles, no less, it was the one that got me hooked.
    - August Schell Doppelbock: I used to make a case or two last into the summer, somehow.
    - Landmark Bock: Okay, it wasn't a classic, and I barely remember it. Heck, does anyone? :grimacing:

Does anyone else have favorite past or present Midwestern Bocks?

2. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota

Being that you are a Bock bracing expert, any suggestions for something I should brace myself to? Would the counter at my shop suffice?

3. jakemn91

jakemn91 Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 New Mexico

Schell's Bock is the only bock that makes a consistent appearance in my fridge. Last year I did enjoy Summit Maibock also.

4. Bobandy

Bobandy Initiate (0) May 13, 2015 Iowa

New Glarus's Cabin Fever is pretty solid.

5. ZAP

ZAP Grand Pooh-Bah (3,964) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My favorite label of all-time. Love those goats sipping the doppel out of that big chalice...That just made my day....now only if they would brew it again.

6. ZAP

ZAP Grand Pooh-Bah (3,964) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

BTW Leinie Bock was my first forray into Bocks back in the late eighties...back when people said Bock was the crap left at the bottom of the barrels..

7. Neptunez77

Neptunez77 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2014 Minnesota
    Deactivated

I'm not sure if it was a bock or doppelbock, but Indeed had one on at their taproom earlier this summer and it was phenomenal. I know the brewer responsible for it worked for August Schell for a bit, and there were definitely some similarities. My dad thought it was one of the best beers he's ever had period.

8. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Initiate (0) May 10, 2009 Colorado

New Glarus Uff-da for me.

9. ChrisPr

ChrisPr Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2007 Oregon

Have any of you guys had Metropolian Generator from Chicago? I'm gonna be swinging through Chicago this weekend and it's close to its typical release date. Living in the PNW there are no good local bocks, too ale-centric here.

10. garymuchow

garymuchow Pooh-Bah (2,854) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Funny, that's the same way Point bock was made in the late 70's. My first taste of "dark" beer and I haven't turned back since.

Chaz likes this.
  11. brewseum

brewseum Zealot (513) Nov 11, 2004 Minnesota

Chaz? What about the "better bock for your buck"

HUBER!

Their twelve packs "back in the day" were a terrific value and darned good to boot.

Chaz likes this.
  12. Chaz

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I bought a 12-er today! It's the best (laughs out loud) year round midwestern bock from the worst midwestern brewery. :grinning:

grantcty and garymuchow like this.
  13. Chaz

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Point lost me for a minute of so when they dropped their (once seasonal) year-round Bock 6NR. They were caught up in the rush of the late 1990s Microbrew push, competing in 'Budget Premium' (is that even a segment*?) with Berghoff.

I bought it as often as I bought the then still year-round Huber Bock returnables. I was sure spoiled back then. :wink:

* Nope!

garymuchow likes this.
  14. grantcty

grantcty Pundit (952) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Present:
    Schell's Bock
    Sprecher Winter Brew (although the brewery now seems to be calling this dunkel?)
    Capital Dark/Blonde Doppelbock; Autumnal Fire; Maibock

Edit: I really enjoy Huber Bock with a limburger sandwich at Baumgartner's in Monroe!

Past:
    Schell's Doppelbock
    Schell's Anniversary Series #1 - 1878 Einbecker Doppelbock
    Schell's Stag Series August's Bock
    New Glarus Uff-Da (earlier releases of this were better than later releases)
    Leinie's Bock and Big Butt Doppelbock (the 'older' version, not the last release)

jakemn91 and Chaz like this.
  15. Chaz

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sprecher Winter is always tough for me to find (fresh) in the Twin Cities for some reason, but the past few times I tried it fresh they really really had the style nailed-down. It'd be a hell of a draught beer paired with the usual German fare.

P.S. ISO August's Bock fliptop bottle label for my personal collection. :sunglasses:

grantcty likes this.
  16. morimech

morimech Grand Pooh-Bah (3,779) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG]
    Just released in bottles but not sure if it will be distributed or just brewery only. Released as their 1st Anniversary beer. I think it is pretty good but I am of course a little bias. It is a big one at almost 9% ABV.

17. Beer-vortex

Beer-vortex Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2015 Minnesota

Because of Stout Season, my wallet has already sent its lawyer after me with a "cease and desist" letter, and now you want me to gear up for Bock Season?

Mister Chaz, you are an evil man, sir...

joelwlcx and Chaz like this.
  18. Ejayz

Ejayz Initiate (0) May 15, 2011 Iowa

I saw a tweet yesterday that Summit brewed the first batches their Maibock. Excited for this as I look forward to this every year!

19. surfninja

surfninja Aspirant (281) Oct 21, 2015 Minnesota

When my band played at Waconia, I thought the beers I had were pretty solid. I need to go back and get some 9% bock.

20. Neptunez77

Neptunez77 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2014 Minnesota
    Deactivated

Anyone try Millstream's Schokolade Bock? I see it everywhere, but I can never get myself to pull the trigger on Millstream's beers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.