Does a beer's ABV change your likelihood of buying it?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SerialTicker, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Does a beer's ABV change your likelihood of buying it?

1. Yes.

93 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. No.

93 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. Sometimes (how so?).

88 vote(s)
    32.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Pooh-Bah (2,815) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah

Another "Omg this dood's intrusive and trying to figure out my job and where I live!" post from yours truly.

I ask because a lot of people say ABV doesn't matter in their purchasing decisions, yet there seems to be a "hype correlation" between beers of lower ABV and those that are higher. Personally, it's a partial factor, but definitely not a big one. I just tend to prefer beers that have higher ABV because they seem to usually have the flavors I prefer. Many sours are lower in alcohol, and while I like them sometimes, they aren't my favorite style.

I have a feeling that if someone sees a 12% bomber of an RIS and then a 5% bomber of some sort of sour for an identical or near-identical price and don't know which to choose, they'll more likely choose the RIS as it has more "value."

GOBLIN, StoutElk_92 and PatrickCT like this.
  2. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A beer's ABV can change my likelihood of buying it, but not typically. For me, it's the other direction. If I see a beer that's between 2% and 4%, I'm interested.

My response above is in regards to bottles. If I'm at a bar, ABV plays a more significant role in what I purchase (with a preference for lower).

3. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I read what you're saying as ABV does effect my buying decision. I also consider if the beer is new to me, so sometimes I will choose a 5% sour bomber over a 12% RIS if I've never tasted the sour even though they might be the same price. My budget also comes into play as well. So when I buy beer I will first consider price, second budget, and third value (ABV to price ratio).

4. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Pundit (886) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Why not buy both?

Badfish, Shroud0fdoom and surfcaster like this.
  5. fearfactory

fearfactory Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

ABV might help me swallow my pride, and pay more than I should, but in general, no. It plays a larger roll if being drank immediately, but only at that moment.

6. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 California

I use ABV as a rule of thumb. I tend to prefer IPA under 7%, sours under 10%, and stouts above 12%. Nothing to do with the value of abv, all to do with taste.

7. meefmoff

meefmoff Pooh-Bah (1,848) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I love the taste of beer and also enjoy catching a buzz, so from a value perspective my sweet spot price-wise is a tasty beer with a buzz worthy ABV. I don't pay any attention to it within the "normal" range, but when it comes to dropping serious cash on a beer I do tend to be somewhat more willing to indulge in higher ABV offerings.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  8. ryanhooks81

ryanhooks81 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Georgia

sometimes i want to drink and hangout starting at noon. other times, im just drinking 1 beer with a meal. i dont go for dfh olde school at noon

Jeannette and Mischief like this.
  9. jhavs

jhavs Grand Pooh-Bah (3,551) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't think it makes much of a difference to me when purchasing. I'd be more likely to not buy high ABV beers, prefer about 7-8%. High ABV being better value doesn't play into my decision, not drinking or buying the beers to get drunk.

10. 57md

57md Grand Pooh-Bah (3,009) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yes - I tend to favor higher ABV beers.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  11. Billet

Billet Pundit (760) Dec 17, 2013 Michigan

For me, the ABV must match the style. For instance, I would not buy an 8% ABV Pilsner. I generally prefer beers in the 4-5% ABV range.

I like Kolsch style beer, but they can end up being more expensive than a higher ABV beer because it is easier to drink 2-3 of them in a day. I don't mind however, because I enjoy them.

#11 Billet, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  12. zeff80

zeff80 Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,891) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society

It sorta is a factor, but realistically it's tied to style. There's a 5% ABV witbier going for around $10. I'm hesitant to buy it. Yet I don't balk at Jewbelation 19 for $13.

13. wordemupg

wordemupg Grand Pooh-Bah (3,175) Feb 11, 2009 Canada (AB)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

"value" = "bang for your buck"
    Yes I often will buy a strong bomber over a light one for the same price, I do like alcohol after all:wink:

Lahoi, Oktoberfiesta, hopnado and 5 others like this.
  14. beerluvr

beerluvr Pooh-Bah (1,826) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I always try to get the most "bang" for my buck.

15. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

Yes, if I'm looking for something light and refreshing to drink after mowing the lawn that generally means something with a lower ABV. If I'm looking for something to sip over the course of an hour at the end of the day that generally means something with a hefty ABV. I'm a man of moods and my mood isn't always some 12% ABV beast, sometimes it's a nice 4.5% Hefeweizen. In the long run it's probably a wash as far as my overall purchasing habits go, but if the fridge only has high ABV beers my purchasing skews to the lower ABV, and if all I've got in the fridge is lower ABV beers it skews high.

As far as bombers in particular, the larger the format the greater my tendency to skew towards the lighter end of things excepting those rare occasions I'm intending to share or it's a special occasion and I'm not really caring about moderation. I try to keep my day to day drinking below 3 standard drinks, so when we're talking something like a high ABV Barelywine, IIPA, Imperial Stout and the like I generally keep it at one 12 oz bottle and I don't like saving a half finished bomber for the next day because I can't always get to it the next day.

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  16. Sponan

Sponan Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

I appreciate most styles, so I buy what I am in the mood to drink. I don't always want spicy food, and I don' always want an intense beer. The majority of my purchases are reasonably priced beers which are well done for what they are intended to be. That said, I suppose the price for a good RIS tends to be slightly higher than that of a good pilsner or Vienna lager. For example, I buy a lot of Devils' Backbone Vienna Lager. There are plenty of good IPAs at the same price point. Not going to buy those just because the ABV is higher. As others have said, ABV is only a factor for me when I will be driving.

Lahoi likes this.
  17. DaverCS

DaverCS Savant (1,076) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

I don't typically like lower ABV IPA's, Porters, or Stouts. IMO these styles need to pack a punch with flavor, which usually cant be done at lower ABVs. In this case, ABV does affect what I buy. Other beers, like wheat beers, pale ales, and just about any other style I could care less what the ABV is, just as long as it is a great beer.

vabeerguy likes this.
  18. SensorySupernova

SensorySupernova Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2014 California

As a general rule of thumb, I'm biased towards lower ABV during the week and higher ABV on the weekends.

Dan_K, Lahoi and MaltheadWeirdo like this.
  19. Lucular

Lucular Grand Pooh-Bah (3,943) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Agree with this 100%. If I'm drinking at a restaurant/bar and there are both high and low ABV beers that I want to drink, I'm going with the low ABV options every time. When I'm at home, I still prefer low ABV beers but to a lesser degree.

Billet likes this.
  20. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,776) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut

I'd like to say it doesn't matter but it does sometimes. It is hard to pull the trigger on a $10 500ml Sour with a 3.6% ABV. I am not saying I don't buy it but I do think it over. At a bar I don't think about it.

bbtkd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.