Logsdon Peche 'n Brett (2015)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by bkbeerdude15, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2008 Oregon

It seems like people have a lot of misconceptions about what Peche 'n Brett is. I've always though of it as a saison with a touch of peach. I've never found any year to be particularly "juicy."

If you're looking for a peach sour, what you want is Upright's Fantasia, not Peche 'n Brett.

woemad, derftron and vurt like this.
  2. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Pundit (836) Jul 17, 2005 Washington

3. lordofthelambics

lordofthelambics Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Washington

Agreed. There's also the misconception about a Brett beer being a sour. Yes, it's a "wild" ale, but Brett tends to lend a funky (hay/horseblanket/etc) characteristic to the beer. If the beer has any sign of sourness, it's usually because bacteria has been added, either in the form of a pitch, or from the fruit itself (assuming there is any).

woemad likes this.
  4. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

To be clear, when I say "juicy," I do not mean "sour." I've had every batch of PnB at least once, and I feel like most batches have had some level of a peach juice flavor component. Clearly, individual tastes vary, and you may not have the same experience. It's also entirely possible that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about when trying to describe flavors. I do, however, know the difference between brett funk and sour.

I certainly don't mean to discount this new batch, as I think it's pretty fucking good, but there are definitely distinct differences from Chuck Porter batches, IMO.

5. dphi

dphi Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

I found the draft pour I had to be much less peachy than previous years, but the bottle I had was everything I remembered it to be. There was some variation last year between the two bottled batches as well - with one being much less peachy - so I wouldn't put it too much on the different brewers.

6. anteater

anteater Pooh-Bah (1,852) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think I got the thread off topic by posting before my coffee, my mistake! I'm well aware of the difference between brett beers and sours, my main point in replying to the OP was that the amount of fruit in Peche n Brett has varied quite a bit over the dozen or so times that I've had it.

7. derftron

derftron Pooh-Bah (1,639) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

I agree. And this has been the case well before the new brewmaster stepped in. The variance has never been bad or off-putting, but some batches in the past have had much more Peach taste than others. that said, this beer has always been more Brett/Saison forward, and not carbonated peach juice.

And speaking of fruit beers, had 4-5 New Glarus beers in the past few months and I must say I dont get it. They taste like fruit juice.

8. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

The only one I really like is Serendipity, but it still tastes like Martinellis.

9. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

On tap right now at 16 tons (taphouse) in Eugene. As Branden stated, it pales in comparison to the bottled version, but even so... damn, but this is still one tasty beer!

woemad likes this.
  10. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

I thought the keg at Farmhouse Fest was really nice.

11. drone

drone Savant (1,200) Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Yeah, agreed. The only other time I've had it on tap was at the Logsdon taproom in Hood River, and it was just as fantastic as my bottles.

12. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Must be the season... now on tap at the beergarden here in Eugene. $6.50 for an 8 ounce pour and still delicious.

13. derftron

derftron Pooh-Bah (1,639) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

had to dig around to find this thread. just FYI, this years is dropping around town in 750 and 375 formats. had it on tap and really happy to report it is as good as ever.

ewendel likes this.
  14. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

I'm hoping to get my hands on a couple 375s. That's the perfect size.

sharpski likes this.
  15. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

16. ewendel

ewendel Crusader (452) Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Trader

LOL'Merika #MBAGA

distantmantra likes this.
  17. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Bump.

Just for peace, love, unity, and the lives of innocent keystrokes.

18. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

19. ewendel

ewendel Crusader (452) Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Hah, applying a poignant Lincoln quote to the trials and tribulations of the PNW beer scene. Tough times indeed. [I like your style, @EdwardAbbey, surely.]

20. MattyPrize

MattyPrize Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2011 Oregon

Just hit shelves yesterday in Bend....FYI...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.