Bourbon County Coffee 2015 - Gusher?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by siege06nd, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themind

themind Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey

Prairie Bomb is one of my all time favorites. BCBS is good but I feel there are BB stouts out there that are much easier to acquire that are on par with it. This years BCBS is a hot bourbon bomb in my opinion. I am kinda sick of BB beers as they are everywhere now.

2. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (1,071) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

Your right the description and flavor varies but the point is that its an acidic kind of coffee that will impart fruit and even tart flavors. That can confuse the issue and that's as current a description I could find but the point remains that this is one of many variables that can contribute to people either mistaking it for infection or masking the infection because people think its the coffee.

3. crowellbw

crowellbw Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 Washington

The trade posts have gotten more ridiculous since commenting was outlawed. In the past, you could tell someone they were way off, now everyone thinks their offers are good.

Vitamin_Hop, 4truth, Mbo108 and 6 others like this.
  4. aqualung_80

aqualung_80 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2015 Indiana

That coffee absolutely had a little tart to it. It was not overpowering, but turned my in-laws off from it. Hence the whole bag to myself.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  5. jRocco2021

Disbelief is not driving my posts its accurate information do you think that everyone is as versed in intelligentsia's coffee portfolio as you or I. Its happened in the past people thought the green apple flavor in bcbcs 2013 with los immortales was infection but it was the coffee. People who aren't as well versed as you or I might then precieve "off flavors" that can be attributed to the coffee thereby exacerbating an already confused situation. Is it infected or is it not? it doesn't do me any good to take sides. If its infected that sucks and if it isn't obviously something else is at play. It gonna take more than hearsay or my experience with my single bottle to sway me one way or the other. So far what I know is I have a bottle of 2015 bcbcs and people have had some bad bottles beyond that I know nothing for sure.

6. aqualung_80

aqualung_80 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2015 Indiana

Off flavors are one thing - what I tasted was some sort of a Frankenstein mix between a non-BA stout and an Upland Cherry Lambic. I know very little about infected beers, various levels and stages of infection, etc., although I now plan to do some research. I would imagine that some have similar experiences to mine - quite literally undrinkable. Before this I can't remember the last beer I drain poured. While others may have noticed a slightly off flavor (early stages of infection?), yet others have issued rave reviews. I love the Bourbon County beers and am not one to pile on GI like many others do. I look forward to GI's response.

Fargrow, cavedave, berto714 and 2 others like this.
  7. jssf

jssf Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2015 California

Haha, within a day or two of having written this I bought some Bomb. It's great.

themind, chrismann65 and aqualung_80 like this.
  8. TempeBeerMan

TempeBeerMan Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2011 Arizona

Did a vertical last week of 2014/2015 BCBCS and there was definitely something wrong with 2015. Like other posters have said, strangely tart and fruity and overcarbonated (but didn't "gush").

Sadly, I didn't get the bottle number because I was dumb enough to believe they had just screwed up the recipe until I found this thread.

9. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not to worry. It is obvious to any one with an open mind that what is being described here and other places is infection. And there were these same naysayers posting the same denials in the past for beers that turned out to be infected with, surprise, surprise, the same symptoms being described here. Don't let anyone tell you what you taste. There were some folks that were counseling infected Short's Key Lime drinkers that what they were tasting and experiencing was normal. I had that beer, and it was overcarbed, with almost no lime taste, and so awful I have trouble putting words to the flavors, that lactic sour cherry tart with hints of vomit, and meanwhile there were these Short's apologists who were calling me/us liars, including Joe Short, who first denied anything, and then tried to tell us it was all our fault because we stored it wrong.

10. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

When Goose Island comes out and says there are infected bottles, lets make sure to return to this thread! Hopefully that will be enough evidence for some here!

11. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

There are definitely some coffee roasts/styles I avoid because they are heavy in citrus and fruit notes. I have certainly had coffee that I thought was bad, only to realize that it was the intended flavor.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  12. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Oh STFU! Even if there is infection, like it's the result of a single dude at the brewery. Get a fucking grip.

Vav, bradner, dmsulli and 2 others like this.
  13. dman5400

dman5400 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2011 Illinois

I have opened 3 bottles and 1 was definitely infected. First two were great, but the last one was very tart. I was very sad to say the least.

14. Highbrow

Highbrow Pooh-Bah (1,746) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

i received the coffee, have ground, brewed & imbibed it. i have not tasted infected BCBSC. i actually only have 1 other bottle left but probably would not seek more if some turned up just because i'm not big on risk.

here's my questions. who do you feel is trying to sway you? you require more than what you describe as "hearsay" for what to take place??? for you to declare infection? i didn't see anybody trying to recruit anyone to join any movement. maybe i missed some posts or quotes? some of us jump in & speak in this sorta' imaginary war-tone thing we got going like somebody personally challenged us to a duel. people are describing what they taste & their own experience.

lastly. it seems to be an accepted fact that Goose Island chucked a large quantity of BCBSC before the release. that helps explain its scarcity too. this might best be described as that awkward moment we realize & are forced to admit to ourselves there's possibly something already on record whereas the production tasted "off" enough for the producer, itself, to yank it.

15. michiganitis

michiganitis Initiate (0) May 28, 2015 Michigan

Just found this thread...

I have had 5 different bottles of BCBCS from 2015.

Three of them tasted like absolute garbage! So much acidity, astringency, tartness, and general funk! Could not drink them.

Two of them had a definitely astringency and tart acidity on the back end. Drinkable. But definitely a pretty mediocre coffee stout.

So disappointing. I'm done trying to acquire any more 2015. It's garbage.

16. croush

croush Pooh-Bah (2,371) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I had been bummed I only managed to grab 2 Coffee this year, but maybe now it was a blessing in disguise. I planned on cracking one of them sometime this month, so I will hope for the best. I'm definitely intrigued to see what GI's response is to this...and how quickly they come up with a response.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  17. CraigP83

CraigP83 Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Has anybody who has noticed a problem contacted the brewery?

Jnashed likes this.
  18. jRocco2021

I was trying to tell people that the coffee might account for some of the people reporting infection and several people seemed to take offence to that beleiveing I'm denying their experience as unfounded or as faulty. I make excuses for no one including goose island. All I'm saying is people reporting infection isn't enough the beer needs to be tested and apparently it is so we should all find out here soon.

If its infected congrats to the people who called it first I guess. If not hooray our beer is safe. Could not care less which as long as its settled at somepoint.

Another way to sum up how I feel, if none of that explained it, would be if let's say, the bottle I have that will be consumed this week were to taste fine and had no sign of infection I wouldn't assume that means there is none. If it does show signs of infection I also don't take that as proof that the beer is infected. To me what that means is I got one of the bad/possibly infected bottles. If GI can confirm the infection with lab testing then I would say I got an infected bottle.

Vitamin_Hop and Highbrow like this.
  19. pmoney

pmoney Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2011 Illinois

Yep. Someone awhile back contacted them and they responded saying they're looking in to it and will respond early next week.

jrnyc likes this.
  20. sculls65

sculls65 Zealot (745) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

Buckle up buckaroos!!:stuck_out_tongue:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.