Brewmaster Jack

Discussion in 'New England' started by mrmattosgood, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Maven (1,301) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Deactivated

Just want to give a shout out here to Brewmaster Jack.

Always liked the rye porter, but over the holidays I had a Tennessee Prinse and a Near and Dear (or four). The stout, especially, my God that's good.

Anyone else?

I will admit there was a bomber of some double IPA I didn't love, but I'm willing to try again. Maybe I got a bad bottle, bad batch, stored improperly, old. Whatever. I'm all in now Brewmaster Jack. Let's drink.

rhino88888888 and meefmoff like this.
  2. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Been a fan of his IPA's for a long time. Ambrewsia is sneaky good when fresh and the single hop series is well done too. Just needs to get the IPA line up in cans or at least out of bombers.

3. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

Totally agree.

I've only had their ipas & DIPAs but need to get my hands on that stout. I like the bottle size and the brew date sticker.

4. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Ambrewsia is in four packs. Near and dear was great.

5. mrmattosgood

Deactivated

The bombers turn me off. Man, they'd be great in that 12 oz four pack. But so long as that stout is around, I'm happy. I wonder if it's a year round thing or seasonal. I might load up; I think that beer is spectacular.

What's his best IPA? I've seeen a couple.

6. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

They gotta get out of bombers. Only bombers I buy now are Trillium.

7. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Ambrewsia is very good but grows grows cobwebs on the shelves near me. Not sure why all breweries don't do 12oz or 16oz cans for ipas.

8. mrmattosgood

Deactivated

I'm with you on IPA bombers. I much prefer stouts in that format. I can pour and enjoy the evolution of the beer as it warms.

9. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Yeah, those never sit old of shelves.

10. RichD

RichD Pooh-Bah (2,182) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

There was one IPA that they bottled that had a serious carbonation issue and if I'm not mistaken, they acknowledged the issue. As for their other beers, Tennessee Prinse (which was BA Prinsipia when I had it) was very delicious. Little Brother and Hoppiness is a Warm Pun are fantastic.

Unfortunately their IPAs are already starting to sit on the shelves and that's undoubtedly due to the format. 4 or 6 packs would probably make it easier to pull the trigger on buying their beers.

11. jbertsch

jbertsch Pooh-Bah (2,710) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I hadn't touched Brewmaster Jack yet because of - what I thought was - a lack of bottle dating. I'll have to look for the sticker next time - thanks.

12. RichD

RichD Pooh-Bah (2,182) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

They used to have a small sticker on the cap and now they've switched over to a date stamp on the left side of the label. It can be a bit tough to make out, but it's there.

13. MenardMa

MenardMa Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2011 Connecticut

My wife got me a bottle of Good Sense for Xmas and there was definitely no date. Just nothing there at all. Plus the beer was VERY overcarbed (gusher) and just not good at all. A couple months ago I got a bottle of the same beer and had the same problem...so they need to work through some QC issues apparently.

Really liked Little Brother, that Mosaic IPL, and Hoppyness is a warm pun though, which is my favorite beer name of all time.

RichD likes this.
  14. hemiman

hemiman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2014 Massachusetts

I had the stout over the weekend and thought it was great. I'll be buying another 4 pack of those for sure. The IPAs I've had were great too but I wish they came in something other than bombers. Having 1 or 2 of their IPA offerings in a 4 pack would be nice

15. paddyfrankie

paddyfrankie Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2015 New York

Hoppiness is a Warm Pun and Little Brother are both fantastic beers. I too wish they were in a different format.

AshlandNacho likes this.
  16. meefmoff

meefmoff Pooh-Bah (1,848) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've liked some of their IPAs quite a bit but I thought the Near and Dear was outstanding. And I got an interesting story about it at a tasting at CBC.

In addition to talking about the beer generally, the representative went into a fair amount of detail about the coffee and cacao that they used in it. So I asked him why they ended up just labeling it a simple stout rather than touting the coffee. He told me that in their past experience where they sold some <flavored> beers they generally found people would comment that they didn't think they tasted the <flavor> enough. So they decided it was better to just label it as a basic stout and let people be pleased with the coffee/chocolate notes that they weren't necessarily set up to have a huge expectation for.

As for the format, it's great that they're moving more and more to the 4 pack bottles, but it seems like they're missing an opportunity by not highlighting one of their IPAs in 16 oz cans. In that format with a little marketing I would think they could be a real player in the widely available NE IPA sweepstakes. I suppose I can't blame them for not wanting to pay a mobile canner after they invested all that money in their bottling system.

17. Aaron58

Aaron58 Zealot (607) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

yeah, the eclipse porter, which I love, used to be called a Chocolate Rye Porter. I think the Chocolate really confused people as they drank it

meefmoff likes this.
  18. mrmattosgood

Deactivated

Okay, there are enough of us, mods. Delete this post.

Especially consider some of you (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!) who will now go out seeking the stout, thinking, "Oh, a coffee stout. I need adjuncts in my stouts because I can't appreciate a good beer without having something extra in it."

19. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

It's funny you say that. I was in Julios yesterday and had a four pack of Near and Dear in my hands but put it back after I saw it was just a stout with low IBU's (20). My palette is old and needs big bold beers to have any impact. Subtleties have always been wasted on me....now I'm headed back to pick up that 4-pack if its still there.

20. Patches826

Patches826 Pooh-Bah (2,345) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

As it stands, I'm pretty sure Near and Dear is winter-only.

Shame about the overcarb problems with Good Sense. When that beer is on point it's really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.