You took a risk on a sixpack only to find you dont like it, what do you do?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DEdesings57, Jan 5, 2016.

?

Drain Pour - lifes to short to drink beer you dont like

1. Drink them anyways - I cant afford a drain pour

116 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Save them for friends - And explain how rare/good it is

83 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Have another bottle - just for good measure. if still not good then drain pour

50 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Keep them in your fridge until they get so old your force to drain pour

37 vote(s)
    11.0%
  5. I don't buy beer by the sixpack I never tried before - thats just dumb

51 vote(s)
    15.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irishize75

Irishize75 Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2012 California

I dominated an entire bottle of that disgustingly infected Silva Stout last year, which I think speaks to where I come out on this. It's not that I can't afford a drain pour, or am to cheap to do it, I just haven't yet tried a beer that I have found so disgusting that I literally couldn't finish it. Now have I uhhh...been a little overambitious with my consumption and realized halfway through a beer that I was finished for the night? Well that's a whole different story altogether.

2. thatoneguymike

thatoneguymike Pooh-Bah (1,947) Sep 18, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

Tend to drink them or include them as extras in trades unless they're just awful.

3. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cook with them.

Or i drink good beer till i catch a buzz, then the bad beer starts to taste better when im drunk.

4. kjlcm

kjlcm Pundit (815) Jul 16, 2013 Colorado

I chose the first option but as others have stated in this thread, the poll should be updated to provide a 'man up and drink em all' option. Drain pooring is for snobs.

5. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

Cook, save for when inlaws are over, or give it away. I have a neighbour I simply walk it over too, knock knock here's some beer!

6. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Pooh-Bah (2,194) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm still trying to translate the phrase "took a risk on a sixpack." If 6 x 12oz beers is a risk, then I shudder to think of the death-defying lifestyle I'm currently living. Today, there was a 20% chance of rain, but I risked not bringing an umbrella. Now that's living on the edge!
    Seriously though, a single beer isn't much of a tryout. I would always try another to see if it was just my mood/tastebuds on that particular day. If I still didn't like it, I'd cook with it, give them away, save for guests that don't appreciate good beer anyway, etc. I'd say this is pretty much a non-issue. Much riskier to buy an expensive limited release bomber of something.

TongoRad and 2ellas like this.
  7. frothy_80

frothy_80 Initiate (0) May 19, 2013 Missouri

Save them, someone will drink them. Typically, I find if you say something taste awful there are usually people that want to try it. It reminds me of that smelly marker growing up that completely smelt of garbage, but yet the entire classroom can't resist to take a whiff.

8. 2ellas

2ellas Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2014 New Hampshire

Completely agree with this. I've been able to avoid the drain pour since i started drinking. I didn't do it with steel reserve, why would I do it with real beer? If you can't work your way through a 6 pack of something, perhaps it's time to switch to wine coolers or something with a bit less variation from type to type?

9. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Yes, and I voted #2...but I won't lie about the beer as stated in the poll. I have many friends with beer tastes that are different from mine.

10. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2015 Canada (QC)

After trying another If I still dont like it I'll bring it back to my shop. I know the owner and he doesn't get all that meany people with a love for craft like I have because of this he made a deal with me that he would take anything I didnt like back and sell them as singles.

Even with this deal I have not yet had to return a beer. Even the less enjoyable ones were not total writeoffs to me.

11. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,433) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If I can't/won't drink them, I have friends who will...

OldManMetal likes this.
  12. spacecake9

spacecake9 Pooh-Bah (2,178) Apr 26, 2014 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

This is why I love bombers, singles and 4-packs when I'm trying new beers - and most of the beer I buy is something I have not tasted before. I really try to avoid 6-packs.

13. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

I chose option 1, but really what I do is take them out of my beer fridge and put them in the main fridge upstairs. They either get offered to friends who might like them or, more often, get cooked with.

I haven't actually had this happen in a while though since I now buy singles of anything new whenever I get the chance.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  14. Hodgson

Hodgson Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2014 Canada (ON)

The answer, which saves money and can give a great result, is to mix the beer with one or two other beers.

Tongo Rad mentioned this, and I do the same thing.

For that Dogfish Head Indian Brown, which I like, but if I didn't, I would mix it with a bland brown ale maybe Newcastle Brown Ale. Or Samuel Smith Brown Ale. Or almost any mild brown or amber beer. The proportions depend on your taste.

For the hot pepper beer, if you mix it with an IPA, the pepper taste comes down a lot and the taste of the pepper and hops can be very good. It's a question of diluting what you don't want in effect or building up a quality in something that you do want.

I

TongoRad likes this.
  15. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Savant (1,071) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

Yeah, I just stick 'em in the house fridge... someone will drink them eventually.

16. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,781) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

This never happens to me, especially now. But if I really couldn't stand a beer I bought, even after trying a second bottle, I would ask around and try to give it to someone who might. I don't like to drain pour and waste a beer.

17. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Grand Pooh-Bah (5,083) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I avoid buying six-packs of beers I've never had before. In the past I would do so only if it was for a generic lager (which all tend to taste the same) from some "exotic" foreign country. If I had to buy a six pack of a beer I later realize I don't like I'd probably give the rest of the bottles to a friend. If that's not an option then I have no issues against drain-pouring.

18. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Zealot (510) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

Any beers I buy that I don't like go into a seperate section just for when friends come over. Because all of my friends will bring over cheap beer (they know I like good stuff) and they will pound their 6 pack in an hour knowing I won't ask for one, then they want to drink my good beers. I have quite the collection of beers sitting in my garage just for this purpose.

I'll always look for deals on beer at the stores so I can grab some cheapo stuff for my friends to drink also. Those $4 12 packs on sale come in handy!

19. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Risk? Unfamiliar with the price of a six pack? Don't people read packaging anymore? Where's you sense of adventure? People really avoid buying 6 packs? I, ( gasp) rarely read reviews and not before buying anyway. No familiarity with any brewers for their styles? I'm not a fan of grapefruit, so won't be buying any. That's about it. Yowzer. Must be getting old. Life is not about how many breaths you take. Life is about how times it takes your breath away. Live a Little. It's just beer.

20. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,561) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This happened to me once. I bought a 6 pack of Cave Creek Chili Beer for the walleye fishing opener. I love hot and spicy, so I thought it would be a good choice for me. After 4 hours trying to choke down the first bottle, I realized that it was not for me. The other 5 beers wound up in the dumpster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.