Do You Have a Least-Favorite Beer or Brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by woodychandler, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2006 California
    Deactivated

I totally agree about Green Flash's label "design." I really liked their old logos with the sunset and the green flash in the background. Now, their logos are corporate and generic. I used to love West Coast IPA, but I've since stopped drinking it. I heard they're going to discontinue it.

2. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Grand Pooh-Bah (3,185) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Green Flash.

I never enjoyed their beers. Or their labels. There are so many better options in CA that I don't understand why they are in business. I was fine ignoring them.

But then they bought Alpine and screwed them up. WAR!

RLVineh likes this.
  3. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Grand Pooh-Bah (3,185) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Green Flash's current labels look like something from Wordart in Windows '95

Invinciblejets, jssf, Lucular and 3 others like this.
  4. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Maven (1,448) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

generally dislike stone and great divide

5. RabidWeasal

RabidWeasal Aspirant (241) Sep 7, 2010 Illinois

Minhas. Every beer they make has a rotten malt extract flavor - horrible. Pretty sure it is the only brewery I could reliably pick out in a blind taste test.

6. BenGap

BenGap Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2015 Alaska

It's always funny to see people rate breweries a thousand miles away typically based on 1 or 2 beers they happened to find sitting on a shelf after 6 months. Such is the way of the world these days.

I'm far from a Left Hand fanboy, but I've had enough of their offerings at the brewery to know they understand how to brew a beer. Much can be said for freshness, which is why you're better off sampling a local brew than chasing something across country. For example , as much as I will take flak for it with the Internet experts, to this day one of the best beers I've had was a fat tire pulled straight off the line at New Belgium. Maybe it was the time of day, or the setting, or whatever, but that beer had everything that is the reason I drink beer. I've not found the same enjoyment in the store bought versions at other times of that beer, but it's far from the turd folks like to portray it as.

zid, Kubishark, Dan_K and 1 other person like this.
  7. Oidmoe

Oidmoe Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Austria

Worst brewery ever is Oettinger. Dirt cheap and tastes like dishwashing water. Sad thing is that they are actually the most-drunk beer in Germany because of their price.
    https://www.oettinger-bier.de/startseite

8. Oidmoe

Oidmoe Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Austria

Don't forget about Lil' B and Molotov Lite!

lhommedelamaison and VAcrossr like this.
  9. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Pooh-Bah (2,201) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

Man, Off Color has yet to disappoint me with ANYTHING, and I've had a pretty large share of their profile. Probably the best Chicago brewery in my opinion (them or Spiteful or Mikerphone, of course PW is really nice, too, but too inconsistent).

I don't really get the hate for Evil Twin, Mikkeller, or Tired Hands. All inconsistent breweries that hit massive highs. In fact, Evil Twin is quite consistent come to think of it, as is Tired Hands. Sure they're all weird and expensive, but really nice portfolios.

#109 THANAT0PSIS, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  10. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I don't have a "Least Favorite" brewery because if you give a monkey a typewriter, it is bound to type a word or two. As far as "Least Favorite" or "Most Disappointed" beer was Great Divide's 21st Anniversary "Sour" Ale. It's not that it was a bad beer, because it wasn't. The label stated "Sour" when it tasted like a Saison with Brett Character :confused:.

11. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

One local brewpub, Blue Collar, somehow manages to cling to life despite having really mediocre beers, and blah food too, and in a run down area, and it's very near to much better beer and food in a much nicer area. Sad to see beautiful equipment being used to make pretty bad beer.

12. KingEdward

KingEdward Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2010 North Carolina
    Deactivated

I don't hate them. I just don't like their beer. 90 min is one of the worst dipas i have ever had although its not an ipa more like a american strong ale. I have tried over 20 dfh beers and maybe thought 2 were ok.. yes they experiment alot but so do other breweries...

13. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

What else but a beer named after himself, brewed by someone else (in this case, the old Pittsburgh (Iron City) Brewing Co. using one of their many'dba's', circa the late 1990s):
    [​IMG]

zid, Jaxbeerdude, LuskusDelph and 2 others like this.
  14. Dan_K

Dan_K Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I had the same experience at New Belgium, it tasted better than any can or bottle of Fat Tire I had before or since.
    Left Hand Bittersweet is great this year, and they are about to release Hard Wired Nitro Coffee Porter.

Tdizzle likes this.
  15. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Grand Pooh-Bah (3,459) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

Shipyard is just, bleh.

bittym87 and Tdizzle like this.
  16. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,403) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Most of the breweries in SC are some of my least favorite.

lateralusbeer likes this.
  17. RutgersBeerGuy

RutgersBeerGuy Savant (1,047) Jan 16, 2007 New Jersey
    Deactivated

They're not my least favorite brewery, but I'm most disappointed by River Horse. Their core lineup ranges between flawed to mediocre. I really do genuinely enjoy the winter seasonal Oatmeal Milk Stout. If they produced all of their beers at that level, it'd be a very different story.

What is most frustrating to me, however, is that they've rushed into the whole barrel-aging, big bottle craze while their core beers just aren't very good. They know how a cash grab works.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  18. dlcarst

dlcarst Zealot (721) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

All Day IPA tastes like feet to me. Must be something about the combination of hops, but I've tried it 3-4 times and every time it tastes like feet.

19. Beerisheaven

Beerisheaven Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2007 Pennsylvania

The comments from River Horse are spot on. On top of that, the release for their first BA series was the absolutely worst run in history. They had a long line at opening and clearly did not have sufficient product to satisfy everyone. So what did the idiots do? Make a cash line and CC line. Nearly everyone in line was paying by CC, so people who otherwise had no shot of buying the beers moved to the front of the cash line. Absolute stupidity!!

They attempted to put limits but still ran out but people paying by cash moved up and were also able to buy larger quantity before they imposed the limits. But in a turn about fair play, the people in the cash line who bought larger quantities were rewarded by a haul of crappy beer.

I had a convo about this with one of the brewers who was as rude as you can be. I used to buy their base beers, have not spent a penny on them since.

20. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

If we are talking only craft, I would have to go with Green Flash really not a fan of their beers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.