In de Verzekering tegen de Grote Dorst

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by HighLowJack, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F2brewers

F2brewers Maven (1,378) Mar 12, 2005 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I wouldn't say quite the level of sweetness that Lindemans now has. I've had older bottles (early 90s) of the fruited Lindemans that were less sweet than the current versions. Time has changed their process and increased the sweetness present. Something has to pay the bills after all.

The wife and I thought there might have been some residual sweetness in the gueuze, but it was enjoyable enough that we asked to buy a bottle to take home. :slight_smile: No dice.

The label doesn't say 'oude gueuze', but I suspect that back in 1988, that wasn't such a hot button issue. It's really only once the EU rules came into force in 1992 that protected nomenclature became more widespread.

As things came to an end at Eylenbosch, I do believe even their gueuze was sweetened, but I have heard that didn't happen until bottle conditioning was moved from the brewery in Schepdaal to to Keersmaecker in Kobbegem (now Mort Subite) in 1990 (brewing operations moved there in 1994 and fermentation/barrel aging moved there in 1998). If anyone has more info on this, I'm game.

wesbray likes this.
  2. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Savant (1,230) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

there is definitely a lot they don't have - they have a version of the menu on the bar with a bunch of stuff crossed out

3. wesbray

wesbray Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Canada (AB)

I'm guessing they still have a lot of fantastic stuff!?

4. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Savant (1,230) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

oh yeah.

I mean, the list of places you can just pop into and drink vintage Cantillon/3f/other (at very reasonable prices) just isn't that big. I imagine there are a good amount of private collectors with huge cellars but as far as commercial places go this has to be on the very short list of places to go

F2brewers and wesbray like this.
  5. Dennoman

Dennoman Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2011 Belgium

Americans have pillaged it dry, if you want to hear it straight-up from a disgruntled Belgian :wink:

erbu, TomFoley and wesbray like this.
  6. wesbray

If anyone feels like telling me negatives about it please feel free...looks like I may have family commitments so may not be able to make it on the Sunday :slight_frown:

7. Dennoman

Dennoman Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2011 Belgium

Definitely make it down there, if only for the friendly atmosphere. Just don't expect to be slaying whale upon whale.

F2brewers likes this.
  8. wesbray

Believe me, I have literally zero interest in hunting whales. I'm more about travelling and exploring beer cultures. Of course I also want to drink some vintage gueuze!

9. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Maven (1,480) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

I've only had a '94 kriek and it was certainly much closer to the Girardin/Cantillon school than Lindemans. There was a hint of fruit sweetness about it, but very much a sour beer, which I'd like to have again.

Funny, about the Americans pillaging it dry. I was about to say something about how I've only been a few times but never seen a countryman there at the same time. Plenty of other Europeans. But then I remember at Nacht there was a BUSload of my peeps. So, maybe.

10. F2brewers

Society Trader

exactly this.

when my wife and i were there, we were the only non locals in the place and we were treated as though we were regulars by both staff and patrons. when we ordered a bottle of vintage 3F that turned out not to be available, the next table over suggested a great alternative.

plus, the place was done up for the centenary of WWI with old photos, memorabilia and newspaper clippings of local and regional interest. we stayed until after 3 with no pressure to leave or hurry up and finish our food (3F gueuze washed cheese is vastly underrated) or beers.

ManforallSaisons likes this.
  11. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Maven (1,480) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Great description of the feeling of the place. When was this? I'd be interested to pop back out there to see the memorabilia.

12. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Grand Pooh-Bah (3,697) Sep 11, 2002 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I am thinking about trying to visit again during my upcoming visit since I will be in Antwerp on a Sunday. Is there a better way to get there by public transportation from Antwerp than to go to Brussels and catch the bus from there?

13. F2brewers

Society Trader

Last Sunday in June.

They mentioned that the decor would be changing soon, but I don't know how soon.

I would imagine that with Remembrance Day at the doorstep that it would be the same/similar, but I'd love to confirm in person. :slight_smile:

14. wesbray

Anyone visited recently?

15. amano_h

amano_h Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2014 Oregon

Anyone want to split a few bottles with me here on the second Sunday of February? (14th)

I had a day-trip to Amsterdam planned for this day which got cancelled because my fellow travel buddy decided to bail on me...

16. olradetbalder

olradetbalder Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Sweden

I would say, that for anyone who likes beer (not lambic in particular) should go here.
    The atmosphere, the beers, the history, it has so much to offer.

I love this place and if I would have lived closer I would go here every Sunday!

UncleJimbo likes this.
  17. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Grand Pooh-Bah (3,751) Oct 19, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Damn. I will be there the wee after (2/21) and would love some company!

18. amano_h

amano_h Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2014 Oregon

Dag yo. As a fellow Californian currently transplanted elsewhere, I would have loved to have shared a few 75cls with someone from home.

19. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Grand Pooh-Bah (3,751) Oct 19, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Offer stands: if anyone is in Brussels this coming Sunday, 2/21, I would love some company/liver-help in drinking some bottles at Grote Dorst and De Heeren.

I will also have yummy bottles of Modern Times League exclusive sours and Sante Adairius to share as well.

20. SHU06Les

SHU06Les Crusader (442) Jan 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

I booked my flight to Belgium in September and was hoping you guys could help me out. I was wondering how hard it would be to visit Dorst without a car. I'll most likely be in Ghent the night before and was wondering if taking the train to Brussels and then a bus would be best, or, taking a train to Aalst, renting a bike and biking the approx. 17km would work better. Blue Bike has rental bikes at the train station although I would need to sign up for a 10 euro a year membership to use it.

I'm also looking into getting a cheap hotel room or room through airbnb so I can stay in the area and possibly have lunch at DHVL the following day.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Thanks in advance.

Lamnic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.